Links in new window

Any site announcements will be made here. Also the place to make suggestions to help improve this site. Also use this forum for reporting suspected errors or for asking 'how to' questions.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Links in new window

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Hi Robert,

I was wondering if it's possible that when clicking on a link in a post, that link opens in a new browser tab, rather than in the current tab (ie, taking you away from he post you're looking at)? Some other forums do this by default, and I find it very useful, but on here I always have to right-click and select 'open in new tab'?

Thanks for looking.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Links in new window

Post by Pierrick »

I was thinking the same... it's a bit of a pain when you want to have a look at the web site or anything which was on the link and in the same time stay on the forum!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Just had a quick look at this, and it might be a feature of the theme used with the board - it appears that phpBB does distinguish links within the site from those to other sites - so it might be possible for me to force it into a new window. I will have a play when I find some time.

In the meantime, there are two ways you can get posts to open in a new tab 1) Shift+Click or Ctrl+Click - depending upon your browser will open a link in a new window or new tab respectively. 2) In Firefox you can pin tabs so that they open in every session - one of the side effects of this is that links to another site automatically open in new tabs - this is how I have mine setup.

Cheers R.

Note to self: the styles are postlink and postlink-local
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I agree, sort this out Rob :lol: it's a PITA !
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Sadly, the styles that I was hoping to use only apply to "magic" links. Any links which use the URL tags do not get marked up in this way, and right now I can't see a way to inspect links in the BBCode processor. As URL tags are used for internal navigation of the board, it is not acceptable to make all links open in a new tab. I am working on this area of the board for image hosting, so if I do find a way to make it work, I will let you know.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Ok, thanks for looking into it.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Hi Robert,

I was wondering if it's possible that when clicking on a link in a post, that link opens in a new browser tab, rather than in the current tab (ie, taking you away from he post you're looking at)? Some other forums do this by default, and I find it very useful, but on here I always have to right-click and select 'open in new tab'?

Thanks for looking.

All you need do is hold the CTRL button and left-click on the link.. that will open it in a new tab.

The CMD button on a mac does the same..

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..