'Recent Topics' Scrolling Screen

Any site announcements will be made here. Also the place to make suggestions to help improve this site. Also use this forum for reporting suspected errors or for asking 'how to' questions.
billysally208

Z3 roadster 1.9i

'Recent Topics' Scrolling Screen

Post by billysally208 »

Hi, Relatively new to the Forum and finding it very useful and informative - but, does anyone else find the scrolling screen of the 'Recent Topics' section on the opening page annoying - the number of times I see something of interest for it to have reached the top of the screen and I have to wait for it to come around again to view it. I have worked out how to stop it and slow it down, but still occasionally have problems.
Only a small criticism of an otherwise excellent site.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: 'Recent Topics' Scrolling Screen

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I find it really useful. If you hover your mouse over it it will stop scrolling. If you need to 'restart' it just refresh the page.
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Excellent feature.
Easy to use and a great way of ensuring you keep up with current posts.
Pretty much the only way I browse this site.

A.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

It is a simple Javascript replacement for a marquee control used in the original site. One of these days I might get around to implementing a reverse gear. :wink:

Once you log into the site, there is a "View new posts" screen that you can go to, which doesn't scroll, however there seems to be a bug in phpBB in that is sometimes misses some of the posts off - it likely only shows posts since your last login - possibly this conflicts with using Tapatalk to browse the forum.

If you click the Forums link at the top, forums with unread posts are shown in red. If you navigate into the forums, you can see the topics with unread posts also highlighted in red.

I'm always open to suggestions for improvements to the site, but I only have limited time in which to make changes.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
billysally208

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by billysally208 »

Robert T wrote:It is a simple Javascript replacement for a marquee control used in the original site. One of these days I might get around to implementing a reverse gear. :wink:

Once you log into the site, there is a "View new posts" screen that you can go to, which doesn't scroll, however there seems to be a bug in phpBB in that is sometimes misses some of the posts off - it likely only shows posts since your last login - possibly this conflicts with using Tapatalk to browse the forum.

If you click the Forums link at the top, forums with unread posts are shown in red. If you navigate into the forums, you can see the topics with unread posts also highlighted in red.

I'm always open to suggestions for improvements to the site, but I only have limited time in which to make changes.

Cheers R.
Thanks for that - It's no big deal really and obviously other members like it. A reverse gear would solve it for me.
Appreciate you have a lot more important things to do and I for one fully appreciate the work the Mods do on sites like this and thank you for it.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I like the way the scrolling screen takes you to the last post rather than the first post.

I use View New Posts and it takes you to the start of the thread and I have to scroll to the end to see what's new.

Pistonheads takes you to the last unread post in MyStuff. That would be my preference, but I'm used to it now and it's not really broken, so there's no need to fix it :D .
Pingu
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

pingu wrote:I like the way the scrolling screen takes you to the last post rather than the first post.

I use View New Posts and it takes you to the start of the thread and I have to scroll to the end to see what's new.

Pistonheads takes you to the last unread post in MyStuff. That would be my preference, but I'm used to it now and it's not really broken, so there's no need to fix it :D .
You can change your post preference from acending to descending in you user control panel, this will then work like the scrolling screen.
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

I like the scrolling screen so you can see the latest post but bloody hell it's really scrolls quickly when viewing on my ipad.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Brian H wrote:
pingu wrote:I like the way the scrolling screen takes you to the last post rather than the first post.

You can change your post preference from acending to descending in you user control panel, this will then work like the scrolling screen.
Changing the settings hasn't changed to the way I would like.

The change would have to be done within the script of the hyperlink.

Example from clicking one of the links in the View New Posts table:

Code: Select all

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=43486
Example from clicking one of the links in Recent Topics:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43486&p=401989#p401989
Notice how the code in Recent Topics also includes the post number as well as the topic number. I don't know the relevance of f=13 or f=5. Maybe Robert T could tell us.

Anyway, I have gotten used to the characteristics of the forum now, so there's no need to change.

I put the examples in one of these code boxes so the text didn't resolve to a hyperlink :wink: 
Pingu
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Ok, understand now, I see the difference Pingu :)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

f is the forum id, t is the topic and p is the post. The # is the magic bit that makes the browser scroll to the named post. The problem will be calculating the post number - it may be the last unread post rather than the last post in the thread. I may be able to copy how phpBB does it, but it is not a 5 minute job.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Robert T wrote:f is the forum id, t is the topic and p is the post. The # is the magic bit that makes the browser scroll to the named post. The problem will be calculating the post number - it may be the last unread post rather than the last post in the thread. I may be able to copy how phpBB does it, but it is not a 5 minute job.

Cheers R.
It is only my preferred option, but everyone is different.

Everyone is used to it and knows what to expect when they click a link.

VERY HAPPY AS WE ARE SMILEY :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks for identifying f. Obvious when you think about it :rtm: .

This is Forum 13, Topic 43481, Post 402010 :) .
Pingu