Performance Problems

Any site announcements will be made here. Also the place to make suggestions to help improve this site. Also use this forum for reporting suspected errors or for asking 'how to' questions.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Performance Problems

Post by Robert T »

I am aware of some severe performance problems with the forum server at the moment. I am in contact with out ISP and we are trying to sort this out. It only appears to be for short periods at odd times of day, but at times the site is completely unresponsive. The external monitoring service that I use has been going crazy sending me emails. Please bear with me whilst I get it fixed.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Performance Problems

Post by Robert T »

After some investigation it turned out to be a robot scanning our site in a rather anti-social manner - instead of accessing pages at a steady trickle, it was asking for pages in rapid succession. Not only that, but it was asking for each page 5 times simultaneously pretending to be a different type of device for each request! Needless to say that on our budget server, this caused requests to back up to the point where they weren't getting serviced and the site appeared to all intents and purposes to be dead. This particular bot is a despicable piece of programming and seeing as though it is not something we have ever requested, could be quite legitimately considered a Denial Of Service attack.

I have blocked the bot and it looks like it has finally got the message as we have now had a clear week where it hasn't even tried to scan our site. You should notice a marked increase in the responsiveness of the site.

Cheers R.
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

Thanks for sorting it out, Robert. You re a hero. Now just come round and sort out my landline cold calling.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

John Wilson wrote:Thanks for sorting it out, Robert. You re a hero. Now just come round and sort out my landline cold calling.
Sorted...

:D

BTW, thanks RT :)
Pingu
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Well done Rob :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

John Wilson wrote:Thanks for sorting it out, Robert. You re a hero. Now just come round and sort out my landline cold calling.
This is my solution for cold callers. It's a Raspberry Pi with a fax modem. Any number I want to reject gets answered as a fax and hopefully gets my number delisted. All I get is one ring whilst the caller Id comes through.

I can't claim credit for the idea and it is a bit fiddly to set up, but it works. :)

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

nice, i got a spare raspberry pi here.... was using it as a torrent server, and did use it briefly for running XBMC, and also used it for a cam server... but into different stuff now...