RSS Feed of Zroadster.net

Any site announcements will be made here. Also the place to make suggestions to help improve this site. Also use this forum for reporting suspected errors or for asking 'how to' questions.
estocks

Not specified

RSS Feed of Zroadster.net

Post by estocks »

Hello

Is it possible the recent posts topics be made avaible in an RSS feed, like the one off the home page?

Cheers
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

I'd really like that too!
wwwwOOOff!!!
Jules75

Z4 M roadster

Post by Jules75 »

It would be good to have. I know of other car forums that offer the same feature. I requested one for Z4UM but nothing really happened.
Giles wrote:IMHO the Z4 generally tends to appeal to people that want to own a nice car and not those that want to drive a nice car.
J9RRV

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: RSS Feed of Zroadster.net

Post by J9RRV »

Was this ever implemented?

Thanks

Jerry
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

I am like several people on here thinking what is RSS Feed

What Is RSS?

RSS Explained

What is RSS?
RSS (Rich Site Summary) is a format for delivering regularly changing web content. Many news-related sites, weblogs and other online publishers syndicate their content as an RSS Feed to whoever wants it.

Why RSS? Benefits and Reasons for using RSS

RSS solves a problem for people who regularly use the web. It allows you to easily stay informed by retrieving the latest content from the sites you are interested in. You save time by not needing to visit each site individually. You ensure your privacy, by not needing to join each site's email newsletter. The number of sites offering RSS feeds is growing rapidly and includes big names like Yahoo News.

Are you any the wiser :dunce: I'm not
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

This was posted before I took over the admin, but whilst I'm sure it would be possible, I'm not sure why you'd want to. RSS is getting a bit long in the tooth and you're better off using Tapatalk from mobile devices. What do you want to use to read it?

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
J9RRV

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by J9RRV »

I'd like to have an RSS feed so that it will update newsfeeds with the latest posts from this Forum.

Its an automated way for people to read the posts as opposed to creating the posts. (Really Simple Syndication)

It looks an easy thing to set up if you are logged in as admin - I just googled it and got this

Have you tried the built in ATOM feeds?

admin panel>general>feed settings

Add /feed.php to your URL to see the output when you have it turned on.

If you want the RSS MOD, information on how to install it is in this topic.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Is this not the same as having the latest Threads button
as other forums have ?
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I have turned on the ATOM feed for you, which can be found here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/feed.php

There are a whole raft of options for it that I haven't had time to play with. It appears to work quite well and shows the last 10 posts, though it lacks some of the info about the poster, like which zed they have (this is a custom field). Firefox seems to not display some of the fields, like the forum the post was made in, but it is present in the feed XML, so I assume a better XSLT would fix this.

I have an couple of upgrades to try to get applied to the site over the holidays, so I'll try not to break it!

Cheers R.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Where does the RSS feed appear ?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

It doesn't appear anywhere - it is something you point a reader at - you can try see its content in either Firefox or IE by pointing your browser to http://www.zroadster.net/forum/feed.php - Chrome just seems to render it as text.

All it is is a machine readable version of the scrolling list of recent topics on the portal page - but it comes out as simple XML without any layout or style information attached to it. You can aggregate feeds from your favourite forums and read them all in one place.

Cheers R.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I've seen a small RSS symbol on other sites.

Surely our scrolling list does the same thing as RSS.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
J9RRV

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by J9RRV »

No the scrolling list isn't the same thing and can't be read in RSS readers.

RSS is a very good way to promote the site because you can set up RSS feed readers on your PC and you can then see the posts as they are published, then if one interests you "drill" down and read it.

The BBC have many RSS feeds especially for the news - see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10628494

It really is worth enabling it on your PHPBB Forum site
J9RRV

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by J9RRV »

Hi Robert,

The Atom feed is perfect and does exactly what an RSS feed should do.

Lets see if we can promote it for this forum

Thanks,

Jerry
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Just to finally close this thread off, I have added a Feed icon (Image) to the footer bar alongside the Facebook icon. If you click it using a suitable browser, it will open the feed page.

Cheers R.
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

As "suitable browser" doesn't include Chrome by default, you can grab the RSS Feed Reader plugin from the link below, and it'll add an icon to the top right of the browser with a little green + symbol on pages where it detects an RSS feed. It also magically detects which subforum you're on and lets you add a feed just for that one too which is pretty neat.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... hgmp?hl=en

1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread