Strong Strutt first impressions

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
JontyP

M roadster S54

Strong Strutt first impressions

Post by JontyP »

Well, it fitted VERY easily with no clearance issues. In driving, the car rides bumps and rough road surfaces in a much more composed manner. There is far less kick-back through the steering and it seems to have a positive effect on the way the rear of the car works aswell. I can only put this down to a general reduction in overall body flex. I'm not one for flinging the car around much really :drive but you can definitely tell that it is more planted and positive in its steering response.

I must admit I'm impressed that something so relatively small has made such a dramatic difference.

Many thanks to Alfie for sorting this out. Top job matey :thumb:

Have a beer on me :cheers

Jonty
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: Strong Strutt first impressions

Post by Alfie »

JontyP wrote:Have a beer on me :cheers
That'll make it two then.... :D

Fitted mine last night, but the excitement is somewhat soured by others in our group-buy having their purchases stopped by UK customs.
:cry:

As soon as I reversed off the drive, the difference was obvious. No creaking or twisting feeling as the car rolled down the drop-kerb.

Took RED for a quick spin along a favourite local road and she seems much more 'planted', positive and responsive, not that she wasn't pretty damn rigid before!

I was seriously doubting that the SS could make very much difference to the improved structure of the S54, but having been amazed by the difference it made to my previous 3.0i Z3, I should've know better.

Definitely worth the money.
:D 8-)

As a true test, I wish that I could've had it fitted without my knowledge, and then see if I genuinely noticed the difference.....
I think I would!

A.
JontyP

M roadster S54

Post by JontyP »

That'll make it two then.... :D
Aaahh yeess. I'd forgotten about the other one I owed you :dunce: . That's quite a debt I'm running up then :wink: :lol: .

I think you're right though mate, you would notice the difference in a blind test. I'm not claiming that it has suddenly become a full-on track scorcher but it is just noticably better everywhere. Definitely worth it IMO.

Jonty
nero

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by nero »

Thanks Alfie for sorting the Group Buy - I've hankered after one of these Braces for ages and now I've got one :)

I got mine fitted yesterday and took all the back roads home - the handling is very different, to say the least.
BMWCCScotland

Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

I assume this is the Competition Lightweight one on the S54?
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
JontyP

M roadster S54

Post by JontyP »

Yes mate. It's the only one they offer for the S54. Really nice piece of kit.

Jonty
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Yeh that's what I thought. I was very tempted by the group purchase but was a bit concerned about all the shear forces going through the two allen-headed bolts. My concerns were somewhat alleviated by a communication with Strong Strutt but then I phoned Elephant to check if there would be any loading on my premuim and they said it would be £40 extra!!! - sounds like a bit of a ripoff to me.

I'm still considering just putting one on and not declaring it. "Well I just bought it like that Mr insurance assessor", "thought it was standard..." etc etc
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
nero

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by nero »

SpunkyM wrote:... but then I phoned Elephant to check if there would be any loading on my premuim and they said it would be £40 extra!!! - sounds like a bit of a ripoff to me.
I declared mine to the Insurance Company (Norwich Union) today.

I had to explain to the Adviser in the Indian Call Centre
  • What a Strut Brace is
    What it does
    and no it isn't a Bull Bar :roll:
I also explained that it improved the safety of the car :wink:

The Adviser went away for a couple of minutes, then came back to advise me that it was added to my policy and there would be no increase in premium - RESULT !!!!
BMWCCScotland

Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.
bmwstuff
Z Register member

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Nice one

Post by bmwstuff »

Nice one Nero! 8-) It does improve safety as keeps you on the road in fast corners :)
SpunkyM £40 for a year ain't bad actually, I've hear of 3 figures being added.
Dan
Audi TT Mk2 3.2 Quattro S-tronic
Maldives Blue Z4 3.0 - no more
Ocean Blue Boxster gone..
Z3 Atlanta Blue 2.8 less - The Zedster is gone!
Dave8300

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Dave8300 »

For anyone contemplating getting one, GET ONE!

It really does make such a difference. Turn in is much sharper, more positive and overall the car feels a lot more stable.
Before, it used to wallow (maybe that's a bit harsh but mt last car was very track orientated so had very stiff suspension), but now its much tighter. Well worth it.

Installation was very easy, and there are NO clearance issues whatsoever.

For those that are wanting to stiffen up the ride and improve the handling of the car, this should be at the top of your list to buy!

All i need now is a new set of Eagle F1s and ill be well away!

ps, If anyone wanted to try what a difference it makes they are more than welcome to if your in the area :D
tuxman

M roadster S50

Post by tuxman »

Yes got to agrre ,feels alot stiffer across the front and makes the car more stable ,made the stearing better as well ....don't ask me how ..................on the downside ours got caught at customes ...cost us £60 .....bit p1ssed off with parcel force there handling charge was £15 bloody ripoff !!!!
nero

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by nero »

I've now done about 600 miles since fitting the brace and I have to say that I'm still impressed by the improved handling.

I did about 300 miles today, a mix of motorway and A roads, and because it doesn't tramline anymore, it was a much more relaxed drive.

Anyone swithering on getting one, don't swither any longer GET ONE :)
BMWCCScotland