strong strutt rear brace ?

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
tuxman

M roadster S50

strong strutt rear brace ?

Post by tuxman »

fitted our titanium strong strutt front brace today and i have to admit the difference in very noticable and a big improvement .......so the question is does it have the the rear brace have the same effect on the rear of the car ??????????
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Re: strong strutt rear brace ?

Post by stu »

tuxman wrote:does it have the the rear brace have the same effect on the rear of the car ??????????
It's a definite :thumb: from me!
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
tuxman

M roadster S50

Post by tuxman »

thanks Stu , what bits do i need to order ? looks like SS are going to get another e-mail !!!
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Just the butt strut, which is a long bar. You will probably need a deep socket of the appropriate size to get the current nuts off and the new ones on.
tuxman

M roadster S50

Post by tuxman »

thanks Stu were does it fit ? can i do it myself or will i need a ramp ???
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Easily fitted at the roadside, but I'd recommend off the road and with a torque wrench to re-fit the large nuts.

Make sure you keep the old nuts that come off.

If you want pics, let me know.

Stu

Butt Strut

Post by Guest »

Here's one I made earlier, it really does work, as does the Body Brace. But the Body Brace is NOT suitable on cars lowered by more than 20mm at the front, and in the case of the Butt Strut not for those lowered at the back, due to the UK preoccupation with 'safety' humps etc and the generally poor condition of UK roads. In France we have no such problems!

The combination of the Butt Strut and Body Brace (plus rear suspension crossmember bush stiffening inserts) has not made dramatic improvements on my October 1998 2.8, but every little helps. Probably the greatest improvemtn is found when aceelerating from the exit of a typical UK roundabout, with a surface broken up by heavy trucks etc, when the rear wheel used to 'patter' and the car used to squirm - now it just keeps going without argument, and generally feels much more solid.

One great improvement is that the usual high level of wear on the inner shoulders of the rear tyres has been eliminated - after 12,000 miles the tyres are wearing in a perfectly uniform manner, probably extending the usual 20,000 mile life to 25,000 miles-plus.

The usual wear on the inner shoulders of the front tyres has also been eliminated, but use of Powerflex polyurethane bushes at the back ends of the wishbones - see my bit in the Z3 Knowledgebase.
Attachments
Butt Strut s.jpg
Butt Strut - running between rear suspension crossmember mounting studs.
(94.4 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Underside showing Butt Strut, and Body Brace strips running between Butt Strut and 'X' brace below engine.
Underside showing Butt Strut, and Body Brace strips running between Butt Strut and 'X' brace below engine.
Underside 2 s.jpg (86.2 KiB) Viewed 2285 times
bmwstuff
Z Register member

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Imoh

Post by bmwstuff »

IMOH, I ran front brace, rear brace, side braces in that order.
I found the best combo was the front and rear braces only. The side braces seemed to make my 2.8 a bit too rigid if thats possible. Either way try it yoruself. I got a friendly garage to do it as its easier up on a ramp but DIY possible.
________
Smoking Kills
Last edited by bmwstuff on Sun 06 Mar, 2011 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oakley6691 »

anyone know where i can get a rear butt brace for Z3 from and any idea what sort of price they are
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oakley6691 »

anyone know where i can get a rear butt brace for my Z3 from and any idea what sort of price they are
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Simple

Post by Alfie »

oakley6691 wrote:anyone know where i can get a rear butt brace for my Z3 from and any idea what sort of price they are
Click on the Strong Strut banner at the top of this (and any) page.

A.