LS3 V8 conversion

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
tinker-27

blank.gif

dyno

Post by tinker-27 »

im not sure what the losses should be but thats what they were on the day, to stop wheel spin we had two people in the car four bags of sand and three people in the boot to try and hold it at the top end so the losses may well be high. but they do a real run down to measure them and get a real reading and dont realy on a "know figure" my mates tvr fitted with a 6.9 litre ls3 based motor did 576bhp on the same day. anyway i am about to start the headers tomorrow now i have done the brakes and clutch,cheers craig
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

namatjira wrote:Hi c_w,

I suspect my SC kit is not going to be available for sale till maybe January. Then I will likely be selling lots of parts, engine, etc., that I will be changing. If you don't mind waiting till then then we should talk about it in January.

Cheers
OK! So what's making you decide to go through with the conversion to the big v8 if you've already go big power from thesupercharged 3.2? I suppose it's almost 150bhp more though?
namatjira
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by namatjira »

Well it will be more hp than that. My SC 3.2 currently does 420 hp and if I push the boost I could get maybe 480-500 hp without major engine rebuilding but I know that will not be enough.

So I am looking at a custom build of an LS7 with 700 hp approximately (and clearly all the other mods to support that power).

If all goes according to plan then early in the new year I will have a set of 4 BBS wheels (8.5J x 19 and 10J x 19 CH), a //M 3.2 supercharged engine and trimmings, a pair of blue/black //M seats and no doubt a few other bits, brakes, tranny, clutch, etc. all for sale. Won't know precisely what until the covnersion and associated work is completed and I am sure by then that I won't go back.

Will keep this site posted in due course.

Cheers
Now with both the 411 bhp Supercharged Z3MR and a WRX STi Wagon getting a 3.4 litre transplant and an XKR with mods planned.

Fast is good, faster is better. Wheeeeee !!!
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

Time for an update:
Things that have been done since my last post include - clutch is now piped and bled so works - ABS pump has been moved and plumbed and will work - steering control arm designed manufactured and fitted + works and looks divine = thankyou Teknical Tim. Wiring as been started by the one and only Blair.
Craig as started the exhausts = absolute work of art the man is a genius :bow
check out all the bends, this is only a fraction of what has been supplied by Craigs contact Colin Peabody of Calsport performance Parts in Rugby
Its meant to be there
Next item when headers are finished will be strengthen the boot for the twin eared diff mounts so the exhausts can be fitted + the prop.
Hopefully I will have some news on the suspension soon.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Holy mother, this is superb work and thanks so much for the updates too.

The a/c pipes are going to need a lot of lagging with those headers!

What material are they BTW? Some kind of Ti alloy or Nimonic or stainless? Looks nice and light.

Please post a sound clip or video when you start this thing up!
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

snatch wrote: steering control arm designed manufactured and fitted + works and looks divine = thankyou Teknical Tim.
Can you post a pic of what you needed to do here? Do you need to mod the steering column too?

Thanks for the update btw. It looks fab and Im green with envy!
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
bikealarmblair

Not specified

Post by bikealarmblair »

letch wrote:Wiring as been started by the one and only Blair.
When did you snap that!!! How grey am I time to go blonde again :lol:
snitch wrote:Craigs contact Colin Peabody of Calsport performance Parts in Rugby
Performance parts not Calsport :lol:
tinker-27

blank.gif

headers

Post by tinker-27 »

the headers are made from high quality stainless steel (fron remus who make ac snitzer,amg etc ) the std steering link arm is about 2" dia alloy and makes it hard to get exhaust aroung it so we have changed it to steel so we can go smaller dia. hearedrs will take a week before we can move on to the next bit, the std headers close to the air con pipes so we will re heat sheild them, as for the dyno results the losses are high becuse we had 5 people in the car to stop the wheels from spinning and a t56 takes more power than a smaller box due to its torque handling ability (big gears etc) and i run a dodge viper diff unit which again is big but strong, cheers craig
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

What a week !!!
Craig has been working his nuts off... he has completed and fitted the headers and started on the rest of the exhaust.
The flow on this system will be spot on the fitment is very impressive.
As Craig as mentioned the aircon will be dealt with properly,
talking of which - a big thankyou goes to James Mclean of Compressortech/Motor climate of Birmingham for remanufacturing the aircon pump to brand new inc clutch etc James will be gassing the system when completed.
I can confirm that the resident shagger ( blue tooth Blair ) has been working very hard - on my car - I have seen the wiring and it is very tidy - I'll give him time to finish before I post the next pic but I'm sure you will be impressed.
Next week will be fit aircon pump start on reassembly of the front end / finish wiring + pirtek to do steering hoses etc.
Rad hoses fuel lines airbox/filter rads throttle cable + linkage.
by the way Mr taylor impressed with the solution for fuel regulator and return line for tank. ( knowledge is a wonderful thing so you get another bow. :bow
bikealarmblair

Not specified

Post by bikealarmblair »

Couple of update pics for you

We can't do too much till the suspension get's to us Craig is waiting for me to finish the wiring before he can do much more & I can't get on with the wiring till the car is off the 2 poster ramp & for that we need suspenders....
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

Latest update=
Compressor back and fitted - thankyou Compressortech
Image :bow
Now on to Mr Taylors work
Yes I know the photo's are'nt straight or that clear :geek:
Pitek have connected rack / steering pump +hoses are fitted to the rad
now and Craig will be doing the intake shortly + finishing the exhaust.
Still waiting on suspension that was promised for delivery today so well pee'd off :bawl: :head: :evil: ( all will be revealled soon )
Big :bow to Lee ( will get company name soon, for lending the bush removal tool to Craig + loaning the subframe bushes wilst I'm waiting for those to be delivered also :evil: (Same order as suspension) :bad
2moro the car will be moved so as Blair can get in to finish sparky bit. :wink:
Not long now :drive
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Nice work on the boot floor strengthening! I thought you mentioned using a Viper diff? or have you just gone with an twin eared diff cover (is it an E36 M3 rear cover?)
namatjira
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by namatjira »

c_w wrote:Nice work on the boot floor strengthening! I thought you mentioned using a Viper diff? or have you just gone with an twin eared diff cover (is it an E36 M3 rear cover?)
If I remember correctly the Viper diff is on Craig's RX7 - LS Conversion that dynoed about 684 hp.
Now with both the 411 bhp Supercharged Z3MR and a WRX STi Wagon getting a 3.4 litre transplant and an XKR with mods planned.

Fast is good, faster is better. Wheeeeee !!!
bikealarmblair

Not specified

Post by bikealarmblair »

Best I get my ass in gear! Does this mean no dates this week?

namatjira wrote:
c_w wrote:Nice work on the boot floor strengthening! I thought you mentioned using a Viper diff? or have you just gone with an twin eared diff cover (is it an E36 M3 rear cover?)
If I remember correctly the Viper diff is on Craig's RX7 - LS Conversion that dynoed about 684 hp.
correct.
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

:D :D :D :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :squeeze: :squeeze: :twisted: :devil:
GET BEHIND ME SATAN
IT LIVES WELL DONE BLAIR YOU'VE GOT YOUR 1st :bow
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Fanastic progress.

I really want to see this car when it's finished!!!
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

Firstly a big thankyou to Robbo + olive ( for going away for a week and letting him work late ) :cheers
Blair for completeing the wiring and the extra's ( ie fit parrot convert light and indicators ) Blair have :bow :bow :bow
and Craig + Blair's combined efforts on an amazingly trick engine bay.
CHECK THIS OUT it looks like a factory fit, this conversion really has been done to a very high standard. :cheers
I will give thanks and a mention to all involved in helping with the project when completed.
There's very little work to do now before its finished. ( except for the q$%^&*$£" suspension if it ever arrives - (horrible lying cheating thieves that take your order and promise its in stock only to tell me that its not )
I will name and shame them also. :head:
bikealarmblair

Not specified

Post by bikealarmblair »

If the suspension turns up in time & I leave moving house to someone else I could give it a run in too Prats-de-Mollo-la-Preste, this weekend :D
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Really enjoyed watching the car progress through these posts. A brilliant job by all accounts. Now all we need is a load of Youtube vids of the beast in action!
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
bikealarmblair

Not specified

Post by bikealarmblair »

Well I've just had some babbling fool on the phone snitch or snatch or something.... he kept muttering about

"oh the torque OMG the f**king torque"

"Geezer it spins in third on normal acceleration"

"Geezer it f**king rocks OMG Geezer"

Was kinda how the call went, guess we can assume he's happy :D
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

:D OH MY GOD this car flies = "very nearly into the canal" :dunce:
Got a big smack in the face to night by :devil: and realise that being a knob jokey will mark your wheels. :nono oops = :twisted: Satan must be treated with respect >> video 2moro when I've stopped shaking :thumb:
jon5698

blank.gif

Post by jon5698 »

Just read through the whole thread mate and it looks awsome, what sort of weight difference is there between your old engine and the ls1? Bet it is an avsolute animal to drive now, and will show up a lot of super cars :D
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

I will confirm the weight when the blasted suspension arrives + when I have fitted the new Remus end cans :D
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

Brief up date because the sun is out and I'm off for a spin.
Listen to it , Its so quite its exactly what I wanted this car really is top draw.
Underneath
In the sun
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

So what's the verdict now Snatch?

Are you still alive?
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

The car is amazing still enjoying it.
waiting on suspension + have ordered Remus end cans from Performance parts in Rugby so they'll soon be on.
Aircon will be connected on tuesday.
brakes perfect.
gearing spot on.
Craig is waiting for the mapping programmes so won't be long.
about the same as the BM on juice around town but double that on motorway.
I think the car will be lighter ( there is a science to this which I will tell you about when its finished)
I will be at santa pod on the 20th so come and see me get beat by others.!!
Most importantly Wifes view of "its going to be a bloody Kev car isn't it"
has changed dramaticlly. last night whilst out for a spin in the country (as you do when your trying to justify time and money spent and earn points) she told me to stop being a minca and give it some leather. :D
ps heard ellie on phone to her friend saying how good it was.
SO its not finished and its passed its hardest test yet. :wink:
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

Update time again = slowing down aren't they !
recieved the suspension 4 days after ordering from Drift Works in Birmingham. KW Variant 3
Also recieved these from America = engine completed
I have also recieved and craig as fitted the Remus Cans but I forgot to take a picture. I will do it soon.
Chippy

M coupe S50

Post by Chippy »

Looking good Richard!

My Coupe is now booked in with Craig for beginning of Oct ish. Hope the M5 engine is as co-operative as the LS was!!:D

Tony
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Chippy wrote:Looking good Richard!

My Coupe is now booked in with Craig for beginning of Oct ish. Hope the M5 engine is as co-operative as the LS was!!:D

Tony
I thought Hartge had a nightmare with the M5 motor swaps, hance mainly using the lower spec/size 4.4 V8? Hope I'm wrong.

BTW, why didn't you go for an LS3? Surely must cost about the same?
bikealarmblair

Not specified

Post by bikealarmblair »

stu wrote:
Chippy wrote:Looking good Richard!

Tony
I thought Hartge had a nightmare with the M5 motor swaps, hance mainly using the lower spec/size 4.4 V8? Hope I'm wrong.
What sort of issues??
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

bikealarmblair wrote:What sort of issues??
A quick google search revealed, it's the V10 that's a mare. The V8 is quite easy according to this PH article on a Z4 conversion.
Chippy

M coupe S50

Post by Chippy »

stu wrote:

BTW, why didn't you go for an LS3? Surely must cost about the same?
As far as i have been advised, the e39 m5 engine is just a developement of the 4 & later 4.4 litre v8. The dimensions of the lower half of the engine should be identical meaning physical accomadation in the engine bay shouldn't be too much of and issue. That said, the conversion will be far from easy what with 'fly by wire' throttle, electrics etc. I've got an entire engine, manifolds, loom, clocks, lambda sensors etc, etc.

IMHO, i would have thought the main reason Hartge didn't use the m5 engine was that the e39 m5 had only just come into production when they did this, so an engine, gearbox and all the other parts would have cost an absolute fortune!!!

I think they probably decided to use the 'older' generation engine for its lesser electrical issues and then just tune that.

LS3 engine option was about £3k more, plus my plate (V8RY M) would look a bit daft!:D
tinker-27

blank.gif

photos

Post by tinker-27 »

why are your pics so blurred ? are you scared of it !!! if not buy a better camera .
V8 conversions
Schnitzer

M roadster S52

Post by Schnitzer »

That is awesome. How much did it all cost in the end?
Chippy

M coupe S50

Post by Chippy »

Nice feature on the car in this months Performance BMW magazine :D

Well done Richard and Craig :wink:
pangster

blank

Post by pangster »

I came across this thread whilst I was searching for something else and all I can say is... awesome thread!!! (and CAR!!!!) - great read!! :)

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
luckycolourblue

M roadster S52

Post by luckycolourblue »

Out of interest, what is a ball park wallet damage for each of these conversions?
LS3 & M5?
cheers,
G
skinny

M roadster S50

Post by skinny »

luckycolourblue wrote:Out of interest, what is a ball park wallet damage for each of these conversions?
LS3 & M5?
cheers,
G
I think with parts and labour 20-25k not including the car.
E60 520D ///M-Sport (Rare Flat Black)
pangster

blank

Post by pangster »

skinny wrote:
luckycolourblue wrote:Out of interest, what is a ball park wallet damage for each of these conversions?
LS3 & M5?
cheers,
G
I think with parts and labour 20-25k not including the car.
there's a turnkey engine on the bay just now for £8k - although I would imagine the bulk of cost for this transplant would be the fabrication and labour.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS3-CHEV ... ccessories
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

That's where I bought my engine from = top company to deal with and as they say everything is brand new.
On the cost you can spend whatever you like = Craig will get you an ls2 5.7 pullout for 3.5k+ then take it from there. ring him if you want on 0121 753 0415.
luckycolourblue

M roadster S52

ouch! i wish i had never asked.... I figured 15k ..... :head:
and I kinda hoped the M5 would come in at 8 ish cash.... maybe not.
as far as I can tell there is no cheap (5kish) way of making 400+ brake out of these cars. am I correct???

thanks guys,
Alex L

Other roadster

Post by Alex L »

£20-£25k sounds pretty expensive. I read this month in the TVR mag Sprint that the LS3 conversion for the Cerbera can be done for £12k at Racing Green TVR. Obviously this doesn't include the suspension and brake upgrades as per the above.
skinny

M roadster S50

Post by skinny »

luckycolourblue wrote: as far as I can tell there is no cheap (5kish) way of making 400+ brake out of these cars. am I correct???

thanks guys,
you might be able to go down the supercharger route for arond 5k
E60 520D ///M-Sport (Rare Flat Black)
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

:bow :bow Respect!!!!

Are you doing the same conversion for a Z1? :twisted:
tinker-27

blank.gif

Post by tinker-27 »

you can buy a pullout (engine and gearbox) from £2500 used, i charge £5000 for the conversion,( we fit them into lots of cars ,rx7s,tvrs,bmws,fords etc.) these figures dont add up to £20,000 but i can charge more !!! alot of the cost depends on how much you spend on the car ie snatch put all new suspention,bushes,wheels,tyres,exhaust,hids,steering wheel big brakes etc, i know the guy who is putting the m5 motor in the z3 and that has probably had three time the money spent on it !!! and for less power. i have just finished the e36 m3 evo with the ls3 in it i will try to find some pics of it and put them up cheeras craig
V8 conversions
luckycolourblue

M roadster S52

thanks Craig, thats more the ballpark I was hoping for. I'll work soem figures around that (plus brakes, suspension etc) and then i'll speak to the chancellor of the exchequer- aka the misus.
I didn't want to start spending on the stock lump if it was gonna be wasted...
Do you do drop-ins for a brew and a chat? (would be later in the year)...

cheers,
G
tinker-27

blank.gif

drop in

Post by tinker-27 »

yes anybody welcome to drop in and see us, 01217530415 cheers craig
V8 conversions
foler

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by foler »

Is that car street legal and pass emission test? I want to make same but in e36 chassis here in croatia. If car can be legal in EU than would be here.

This is the best swap which I am view on web!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

thanks
foler

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by foler »

tinker-27 wrote:you can buy a pullout (engine and gearbox) from £2500 used, i charge £5000 for the conversion,( we fit them into lots of cars ,rx7s,tvrs,bmws,fords etc.) these figures dont add up to £20,000 but i can charge more !!! alot of the cost depends on how much you spend on the car ie snatch put all new suspention,bushes,wheels,tyres,exhaust,hids,steering wheel big brakes etc, i know the guy who is putting the m5 motor in the z3 and that has probably had three time the money spent on it !!! and for less power. i have just finished the e36 m3 evo with the ls3 in it i will try to find some pics of it and put them up cheeras craig
craig, please please post as much details as you can, especially about wirrings. This is exactly what I want to do - ls3 into e36. Do you service maybe rewiring job? I send to you my oem wiring with gm ls3 wiring and you rewire everything for plug&play. What is included in this £5000 price?
cemalakcal

M coupe S50

Post by cemalakcal »

I hope you find a solution to CORVETTE engine cover. Might be LS3 only or LS3 Coupe ?