Will this K&N actually do anything?

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Will this K&N actually do anything?

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Hello.

Will a simple £65 actually make any difference to my 1998 2.8 ?

Heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/K-N-INDUCTION-KIT ... 240%3A1318

thanks
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

From other peoples experiences on here, yes, it will the oil in the filter will knacker your MAF. There are other solutions which are better suited to the zed: Fogged Airbox and a few solutions that feed air from the front foglamps.

BTW I do have a K&N on my "other" car - but it's engine management system is too simple to need a MAF. :wink:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
AntMan

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by AntMan »

I run a filter on my 2.8 and it does make a difference but it's important to make sure it gets cold air to get the best out of it.
The oil on the k&N is to good for the maf sensor why not try an itg filter instead.
I had a heat shield made for mine and the filter remains cool and it work well.
Thread here.
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18624
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

does this apply the same to the 1.9 ? is it just the oil in the filter that affects the MAF ?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

markrnorton wrote:does this apply the same to the 1.9 ? is it just the oil in the filter that affects the MAF ?
Yes, the MAF works the same way in all the models, and it is the oil in the filter that does for them. And by the smell of the one I've just taken off my classic, I'm not surprised - it smells very oily indeed - the house still stinks of it! :P

Cheers R.
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

so if the oil was cleaned out/off the k&n would this be usable then ? or does the oil catch all the particles ?? would the cotton gauze be enough to filter on its own ??

sorry for all the inane questions, i just dont want to fit it , if its gonna cause a future problem
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

is there a cure?

Post by Ferdinand »

I know a lot of Alfa Romeo guys, and they used to buy K&N's but all switched back to airfilters - because their garages said K&N would do something to the MAF.

I've used K&N's since 1997 on a Alfa Romeo 75, Citroën XM, and on our current cars - and I've never experienced any problems.

I know that people says the oil from the filter gets "foggy" and leaves some sort of coating/residue on the MAF - Periodically, there's a cleaning cycle during which the wire is heated to a very high temperature right after engine shutdown. This burns off deposits.

how about cleaner like CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner - has anyone tried it?
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Looking at the K&N one I have here, I think the oil is fundamental to the way the filter works - it has a two layer zigzag (for want of a better word) mesh with a thin layer of the oiled material trapped in between. Without the oil the material would be too thin on its own to act as a filter. On suitable cars they work well as they offer a large surface area which offers little resistance to the air, just not on cars with a hot film MAF.

I would look at other makes of filter as AntMan suggests as the MAF is quite an expensive component to have to replace.

Cheers R.
///M Breadvan

M coupe S52

Post by ///M Breadvan »

i ran with a K&N filter on my Alfa 155 for over 100K miles without any problems. Not sure if mine had a mass air flow meter though??
Current: S50, black/Black. Becker HU, AP Racing BBK, Racelogic TC

Ex: S50 Coupe, Black with Kyalami Orange/Black Leather. ACS Suspension. HID's/Angel Eyes. Becker Bluetooth/Ipod HU.
BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

If you want to improve air flow I think think the best bet would be a Gruppe M rep or similar. I have a proven 18bhp improvement from that and a re-map on a 2.0
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

There are several types of MAF - the two I know are the hot film (as in the zed) and the hot wire. From other people's experiences on here, the hot film ones don't like the oil in the K&N filters. It may be that the hot wire ones used on other cars are be fine with it. And I doubt the MAF type can be changed as the engine electronics/software is matched to it.

Cheers R.
Greigboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Greigboy »

My Z3 2.8 has done 40,000 miles with a k&n induction kit fitted and it has caused me no problems, I recently cleaned and re oiled it.
I find the filter makes a signifficant difference to the performance and gives a great induction roar under aceleration and complimets my superchip perfectly.
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

Mike F's post is all you need to keep your MAF healthy, increase lower end grunt and increase acceleration at higher speed. The limiting factor isn't the air filter originally installed on the Z3, as is explained by Mike, only the route by which it is delivered to the filter.

The cost of a replacement MAF is roughly £150 IIRC (from Coopers Tunbridge Wells) just for future reference. :wink:
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Periodically, there's a cleaning cycle during which the wire is heated to a very high temperature right after engine shutdown. This burns off deposits.
I think what actually happens is that it burns off the oil and leaves a deposit - just like if you burned oil on a fire.

And I doubt the MAF type can be changed as the engine electronics/software is matched to it.
Will be fine. ECU will adapt to it automatically.
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
TIMMZEY

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by TIMMZEY »

Edited for privacy
Last edited by TIMMZEY on Tue 21 Nov, 2023 18:48, edited 2 times in total.
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Keep it simple(like ME!!)

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

With the Exdos Mod in the airbox and K & N filter, NO probs in 3 years, including meister service with all checks every year on 3-4K milage. :D
safetyfast