Tyre Mismatch

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Foz

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Tyre Mismatch

Post by Foz »

Following a minor accident requiring a re-spray, 2 refurbed alloys and a dent removal (not my fault, I hasten to add) I was lucky enough to also get a new front tyre for my Z4, as the old one had a nick in the side wall, possibly caused by the crash.

My problem is this. The accident repair centre have replaced the old Michelin Pilot Sport 225 40 ZR18 with a 225 45 ZR18. I think this is possibly wrong, as the tyres now do not match up exactly. Might this affect the handling (as well as the odometer and possibly other things)?

I wanted to ask the advice of the forum - is this tyre going to cause problems, or should I leave it alone? I didn't want to call them and moan for no reason, as they've been excellent otherwise.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Yes, get it swapped to the right size. It's too "tall" and it will most likely pull to the side with the 40 profile on.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I would add to c_w's comment and say that this is potentially dangerous and should be rectified ASAP.

The difference is such that the walls of one tyre are about 10 mm deeper than the other. Under braking the handling will be unpredictable and could result in a loss of control.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Foz

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Thanks

Post by Foz »

Thanks to you both for the comments. Off to Costco tonight for a replacement to be fitted, paid for by the repair centre. :)
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Absolutely, this is a definite no no.
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster