Power boost valve

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
PORTMYSTER

Z3 roadster 2.8

Power boost valve

Post by PORTMYSTER »

Hi every one its my first subject on the forum, I have a Z3 2.8 double vanos unit and its got some nice mods such as K&N induction and a Ramus exhaust which gives it some extra horses. I have my car booked in for its remap at Well lane turbo in Batley which will work well with the current mods but has any one put a “POWER BOOST VALVE” on their car, here is the link http://www.motormec.co.uk/pbv.html
Will it improve performance or is it a waist of time?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Welcome to the Forum :wink:

I've not seen this one before, unlike all the other 'Boosters' available on Ebay that don't work as claimed.

I would rely on the Remap to give you the 'Boost' as this method is well proven.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
PORTMYSTER

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by PORTMYSTER »

Thanks Gazza for reply,

I am struggling to find other mods which I can do to the car for performance as I have found out that I cannot have the M50 manifold put on with my unit.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Depends how far you want to go..............Cams, Diff Ratio, lightened flywheel etc etc.

I had a Live Remap on my 2.8 and it transformed the car. I went for a 'Middle' map which gave better midrange and improved torque (the car would pull from near standstill in 3rd) with not too much difference on mpg. You could go for a higher map but would do less mpg. Expect 10 - 20 bhp increase with a good remap.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

I am organising a rolling road day at RS Tuning in Leeds which you are more than welcome to come to. Paul at RS Tuning has had some very good results mapping the 2.8 may be worth giving him a ring before you commit.

RR day link;

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19273
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Do not waste your money on a PBV. Complete snake oil.
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Yes the PBVs seemed to have died down now but were big in the late 90s for people to waste their money on.
PORTMYSTER

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by PORTMYSTER »

That’s what I thought it could be a waist of money, I will ring RS tuning up to moz straight away and get a price and the best chip for the car.

I cant make the RR day as I am away that day a shame would be a great day, thanks for the invite thou (aceman)

What cams would work well on the car this sounds interesting idea - Gazza

Thanks everyone

:P
bmw_technik

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bmw_technik »

NO NO NO NO NO NO NOO!!!

Almost as bad as the "power resistor of justice" on ebay afew years back