New discs required or not?

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

New discs required or not?

Post by Titan »

I’ve read the various posts on changing pads and discs, in particular Mike F’s “how to” guides. My problem concerns RIDGES on the rear discs with corresponding grooved in the pads.

The pads are worn and will be replaced but do I need to change the discs as well? Mike’s article refers to grooves in the discs (eg caused by a trapped stone) but I have the opposite situation.

In physical terms the reduction in contact area will be small and clearly new pads will soon re-groove to match the disc profile but is this acceptable? There is plenty of thickness left in the discs.

What would you recommend – new discs and pads or just pads?

Thanks
Titan
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

What difference in mm is there between the top of the lip and the brake pad contact surface? How many miles has the Z done on the discs currently, and how heavy are you with the braking? A close up pic of the worst affected disc could be helpful as well.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

As you say, the pads will bed in to the profile of the disc.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

For the cost of new discs (if you're doing them yourself) I would just get new discs and pads. Grooves on the rear are lest common that grooves on the front (but you should, in theory, never get them as the pad should always be flat and wear the disc evenly).
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

It really does depend on just how severe it is. Light ridges and grooves are very common and won't noticeably affect braking performance. As said above - really need a pic to comment.
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Unless your discs are severely worn, ie there is a pronounced lip around the outer edge, badly corroded or warped, I would only replace the pads.

From my experience, it is normal for the disc to develop fine ridges around the braked area , which I believe is largely due to the type of material that is used now to manufacture the pads.

Malc
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Yes, it's the sintering in the pads that does it. Worse since asbestos was removed from the compounds.
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

New Discs

Post by Titan »

Thanks for all the replies Guys

I was going to post pics but the weather up here is not very conducive - glad we didn't remove the hard top last Saturday..... :roll:
On balance, I'll bow down to SpunkyM's scintillating sintering and opt for new discs :)

Cheers
Titan