Replica Wheels - 2 buy or not 2 buy?

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
nero

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Replica Wheels - 2 buy or not 2 buy?

Post by nero »

I'll need to replace tyres soon and thought about an upgrade including wheels.

I went into the local wheel shop and looked at Alpina replicas - quality looked not too bad :)

Prices for a set of 4 including a set of Pirelli Rosso's was about £1000 ( he did say that he could get originals but we would be looking at £2500). The Pirelli were only an example and tyre choice could be mine at a price.

Question - has anyone any experience of replica wheels and are they as good/bad as originals i.e. are you just paying for the label on originals?

I've photoshop'd a set of ACS and Alpina wheels just to get an idea what they would look like :D
Attachments
NeRo with Alpina replicas
NeRo with Alpina replicas
nero Alp.jpg (23.01 KiB) Viewed 9003 times
NeRo with ACS replicas
NeRo with ACS replicas
nero ACS.jpg (21.81 KiB) Viewed 9003 times
BMWCCScotland

Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.
SLX 280

BMW other

I like the...

Post by SLX 280 »

Top ones, although I had the BMW multispokes on My Z which looked nice.

Anymore choices?

cheers

Scott
hwassall
Z Register member

Not specified

Post by hwassall »

Definitely the top ones, I think the bottom ones are too fussy.
Howard
2003 TVR T350c
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Agreed, I prefer the top ones, however you might need to tidy up your calipers as they will be far more visible.

I've seen replica alloys before and whilst some people can tell them apart, most people can't.

Tim
last Z3?
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by last Z3? »

http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk

have a set of 4, 17" AC Schnitzer Type III without tyres for

£580 inc vat and delivery and the price also includes bolts and caps

Is this a good deal as i am thinking of getting a set?

Anyone help me finding a decent number plate for my 3.0 Z3 i can spend about £1000 but i just dont know what to get (i want something that relates to the car rather than me)

any ideas please Pm me
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

My Hamman Replicas on the 1.9 came from Style Alloys complete with F1 Goodyears, bolts caps etc for £730.
Personnally Nero I would go for the ACS, the Alpinas dont look right on the Z. Style Alloys do the replicas in the ACS as well. They come out around the same price as the Hamman's.

Last Z3, my plate came from national numbers, I went for my initials and Z3 +3 random numbers, on an irish plate. £220 including transfer fees. For creative spacing on number plates go to www.fancyplates.com you can design your own plate and have various borders etc. I did go with the legal font, so it attracts less attention.
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

Fake Alpina's I agree, but originals are so 8-) , but hey I'm bias
'MC' MarkC

M coupe S50

Careful with reps

Post by 'MC' MarkC »

A friend of mine fitted replica M5 alloys to his E34, despite my protests. I had suggested he locate a genuine second-hand set, and budget for a refurb if needed. After 9 months the lacquer started to peel. 2 years since buying and they look very tatty indeed. There does appear to be a considerable variation in quality of replicas (Tony was quite happy with his), but if you can get 2nd-hand originals for only a few ££ more, why risk it?

In addition, original BMW alloys are CAST alloy rather than FORGED, making them far stronger (not sure if I've got that the right way round, somebody more technically minded than I may be able to explain further). Many of the 'proper' brands, ACS, Alpina et al, are also made this way.

Finally, the replicas are usually quite heavy, creating additional unsprung weight. This has a detrimental effect on the handling. Again, my friend's 17" E34 M5 reps were considerably heavier than his original 16" BMW Cross-spokes.

I bought a set of genuine 17" Alpinas for my wife's 323i last year. I paid £450 for the set of four, which were in immaculate condition. Add £450 for a decent set of tyres (incl fit+balance) and £900 all-in isn't bad, especially as the four original tyres were due replacement soon anyway. They are A LOT lighter than the original 16" BMW (which I have kept), and look quite nice too.

PS those Type IIIs look 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-), IMO hunt down a 2nd hand set and pay the extra (w8 for the no. plate praps?)
ACS susp., exhaust, wheels, short-shift +decat (Supersprint)+CF intake with K&N, remapped ECU, Strong-strutt. Piranha carbon-metallic clutch, EBC Grooved & Dimpled+Redstuff Ceramics. ACS pedals, gearknob & handbrake, stick-on plates.
Bestgear

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by Bestgear »

I would be very careful with replicas especially if you have not actually seen them in the flesh.

There are far too many really cheap wheels around and the finish is really very poor and just does not last.

There seems to be a whole host of companies selling sets (£500 for 4 17" with tyres) - I guess you get what you pay for...

With regards aftermarket wheels, I have avoided the cheapies and gone for the slightly less cheap Rondell, Breyton or similar... I have been very, very happy with Rondell wheels as they are as near OEM quality as I have seen. The finish of mine are still A1 after several years.

...just my 10p worth!
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

I have seen "replica" Breyton Magic Racings - and in comparison to original Magic Racings, you could instantly tell the difference - but then again as DJBlack states you get what you pay for - £800 including tyres vs £2500 including tyres
Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Neal(2.8Roadster) »

I also bought from http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk.

I went for the 18" ACS Type III Racing with Goodyear Eagle F1's
and paid just over £1000 with a bit of haggling.
<------ not updated this picture yet though

They look great in my opinion, quality is spot on and they certainly
look like real ones to me, and nobody else has commented on them
being replicas. (come with embossed ACS centre caps aswell)
Neal Glover

Email : nealglover@Gmail.com
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Careful with reps

Post by muffles »

mbmwx wrote:In addition, original BMW alloys are CAST alloy rather than FORGED, making them far stronger (not sure if I've got that the right way round, somebody more technically minded than I may be able to explain further). Many of the 'proper' brands, ACS, Alpina et al, are also made this way.
hehe, yep that's the wrong way round - forged is better :)

basically, cast wheels you have a mould, let gravity pull the molten alloy in and fill the mould, so it can lead to variations in density and stuff like that i believe.

forged is "pushed" in to the mould - their are also levels of forging, depending on the press. i believe 8000 ton is the highest i have heard of. also means that the density overall is higher (ignoring variation in density) supposedly making it stronger.

you can also get spun forged rims, where the rim only (2/3-piece wheels then!) is created by putting it in to a mould and spinning it round very quickly to push it all outwards.

hope this explains it, people may want to correct any mistakes i have made!
RIP '98 Arctic Silver 2.8!

Supersprint exhaust * UUC SSK * Clear rears/fronts/sides * Aluminium bee sting aerial * KW coilovers
LP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LP »

Guys,
I am not sure what engine I have in my Z - it is a (W) 2000MY 2.8, what is the correct engine code? Exx ? Can anyone help

thanks
LP
LP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LP »

Sorry, it is relevant to this thread - I am looking at the Rochford tyres website and they list vehicles by engine code.
LP
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

should be M52B28TU i believe - only question is over the TU (dual vanos or single)

with the "E" code - that's per model. the z3 convertible is E36/7 i believe, and the coupe E36/8.

Supersprint exhaust * UUC SSK * Clear rears/fronts/sides * Aluminium bee sting aerial * KW coilovers
LP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LP »

Thanks, I may check them out this week end.
LP
Bestgear

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by Bestgear »

Chaps - one more thought...

Many replica wheels are only available in one rim width size - eg some are 7.5" or 8" only.... which is a bit limiting in many fitments....

Check my favourite Rondells - http://www.autobahn.uk.com/pages/wheelpages/rondell.htm

A fair choice of rim widths...

D
IOMRoadster

M roadster S50

Stir the pot...

Post by IOMRoadster »

Okay I don't want to offend anyone and I agree that opinions will vary on this but....

Change the word 'replica' to 'fake' and it becomes another issue. If you are going for non OE / Alpina / Schnitzer wheels, get some that don't try to be something they are not!!

How many of you would buy a fake Tag / Omega or even drive a fake BMW??!?!? 8-)

I think a set of (real) BBS or OZ is the way to go or save-up for the (real) wheels from the manufacturer that designs them!

I'll get my coat and wait for the flying cakes....!
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

I'll get my coat and wait for the flying cakes....!
Why - you said it perfectly - most of them are rip-offs of someone else's design
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

yeah very true, it's probably a lot less risky (with regard to quality of wheel) to get originals! i think the only time it's ok is if it's a style of wheel you want but not available to fit your car/in your size - mainly thinking of 17" alpina "replicas" for E30's, as many many people have them. they aren't really frowned upon, except for the bad quality of some of the wheels.

Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

I have a fake ACS Type III racing because I could not justify the £3K plus the real ones would have cost.

I also have a fake Tag Heuer, bought it because I like the design but could not justify £1900 on a watch.

I also have a fake tan because.... well you get my drift..... :(
Neal Glover

Bestgear

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by Bestgear »

Hi Neal

Can I ask what width of rims and tyre sizes you are running your ACs III's?

Do you have any update pictures.... great looking wheels...

D
Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

I got the 8.5x18" ones from rochfordtyres.co.uk with the 225/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1's

Very happy with them, they look great and they were delivered quickly and cheaply. I would certainly recommend Rochford to anyone.

I have some pics online but will be updating with the new wheels pics over the weekend some time.

http://www.nealglover.photosite.com/album1/
Neal Glover

Giles

Not specified

Re: Careful with reps

Post by Giles »

mbmwx wrote:A friend of mine fitted replica M5 alloys to his E34, despite my protests.
On a similar theme I came across this recently, M3 wheels on a Z4...personally I'm don't like this at all. I think whether replicas or originals, the key is that the wheel has to compliment the car.

For example if you look at the latest ACS Type IV alloy, there's no doubt it has has been designed to compliment Bangles angles (!) as such it would perhaps look out of place on a Z3 or old 5 series for example. However put it onto a Z4 or 6 series and it looks wonderful 8-)

TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

IMHO M3 wheels should stay where they are meant and not on other models
muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »

what do you think of those m3 wheels on a z3?

i didn't think they'd look that good, but on bimmerforums recently a pic of an m coupe with them was posted, and it actually looks ok - a lot of people felt the same and had the same "revelation". i'll see if i can't find it and put it up when i get home, see what you think.

muffles

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by muffles »