Lowering springs or Coil overs

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Lowering springs or Coil overs

Post by Southernboy »

Any opinions on lowering springs vs Coilovers and what are the implications???
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Lowering springs or Coil overs

Post by M@r]{ »

Also interested in this :rtm:
2006 Lotus Exige S
2006 535d M-Sport Touring (the Missus car)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I have just spoken to Eibach, and I think it'll be springs for me. The alternative is fitting 19" wheels, and I've just fitted the e3 90 wheels (they can be seen on the recently posted wheels for BMW thread) Plus new tyres, so....seems that lowering the car 30mm is going to be the route. And springs from Eibach seem the best value/quality option. ?? any opinions ???
"Normal is overrated"

M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by M@r]{ »

After some research I fitted Eibach springs to my Z4M Coupe, realyy pleased with them. The ride was harder but not excessively. The drop was just right, subtle enough that it didn't look lowered, but enough to give it that nice stance. So assuming the same for the Z3 I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Can I ask what you meant about the 19's?
2006 Lotus Exige S
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

What I meant was that as an alternative to lowering the car, one fills up the arches with a larger wheel, which looks better as a "fit" but still allows clearance for "those" roads and speed bumps etc...
"Normal is overrated"

Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Even with larger wheels you will still have a gap between arch and tyre, 30mm drop is fine, it will give the car a nicer stance.
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

My thinking exactly...
"Normal is overrated"

M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by M@r]{ »

19's will help visually, as you are substituting tyre for rim in the arch, but the physical gap will be the same.
2006 Lotus Exige S
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Good argument for Eibach springs...thanks!!
"Normal is overrated"

walrus5668

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by walrus5668 »

i recently fitted Apex springs to my 2.8 z3. I kept the standard shocks. They gave me a 30mm drop and i was apprehensive that the ride would be to harsh. I shouldnt have worried.. they are great..theyve improved the car no end and although of course the car is a little harder its a very nice ride quality... a happy medium i think. They cos me around £100 off ebay and i couldnt be happier.

BEFORE

AFTER

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

walrus5668 wrote:i recently fitted Apex springs to my 2.8 z3. I kept the standard shocks. They gave me a 30mm drop and i was apprehensive that the ride would be to harsh........

AFTER

The rear of the car looks to have dropped more than 30mm looking at the pic above, almost close to bottoming out?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Did you replace the pads when you did the springs???
"Normal is overrated"

walrus5668

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by walrus5668 »

the original spring pads were put back in. I compared the tops of the old springs to the top of the new and they looked the same. The pads fit just as nicely on the new springs as they did with the old. Ive not experienced any scraping or bottoming out at the front or rear. The ride is firm but forgiving. I use the car for autotest and autosolo motorsport events as well as on a daily basis with no issues. If anything was going to bottom the car out or make it scrape then these motorsport events would. They involve hard acceleration followed by hard braking while changing direction from lock to lock. Also many 360's are required with extreme manoeuvring through sometimes tight tests. The surface is at times very uneven and i have no troubles. These springs have transformed the handling of the car on a budget and i would recommend them to anyone on a budget. I had my reservations when i got them before i got them fitted and had considered spending a lot more money on coiliovers. For what i use the car for im more than happy with the way the car has turned out. As with all bmw's with this sort of back axle the camber has changed as the geometry of the suspension has changed with smaller springs but although i know i will probably get uneven tyre wear it gives me better stability on hard cornering !! :D :D
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Convinced me to buy some :thumb:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

My Eibachs are in my boot...waiting on new pads all round / top and bottom...Local dealers had to order in from Germany....2 weeks freighting time...Yes I do think 30mm is about the right look with 18" rims...
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Looking at the before and after...I would say it has dropped more than 30mm..might be the photograph...the rear specifically looks as if it's a tad low for 30mm...
"Normal is overrated"