Coilover review - JOM cheapos on a Z3 2.8.

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Keynun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Coilover review - JOM cheapos on a Z3 2.8.

Post by Keynun »

Hi

I thought it'd be useful to give a quick lowdown on the cheap coilovers I installed last week. I bought these advertised as coilovers for the e36 compact for around £200. Fitting seemed to go well, although I did spend a while cleaning things up and adjusting.

My car is standard, refreshed all the brakes/fluids/clutch/flywheel and bushes that looked worn at the front. The diff mount bush still needs changing.

My stock suspension had not been changed for 130k miles, therefore my view is of an isolated experience, as the shocks were all in a pretty piss poor condition when removed and would not rebound at all!

JOM vs Stock:
Stock

Stock pros:
-Comfort is unmatched
-Not harsh
-No adjustments needed obviously, the car sits well
-Everything is built to a high standard of quality
-Quiet

Stock cons (bought the car with 125~k on the clock, never renewed suspension):
-Body roll was everywhere
-No confidence at speed
-Tram-lining/following the road was very apparent
-Extremely soft and uneasy during cornering.

JOM Coilovers:

Pros:
-Improved cornering and handling immensely, the stock shocks were that bad after all those miles!
-Stiffened the car up nicely, not as stiff as my old e36 318iS coupe which had AC schnitzer springs and Bilstein B4 shocks though.
-Some comfort retained
-Ride looks great when adjusted
-Installation was straightforward if you change front mounts with the kit (you really should).

Cons:
-Ride may still be too harsh compared to stock for some people, it's smooth but a little bumpy (cheap shocks probably).
-Some may say that the Z3 is ruined, since its more of a classy sports car rather than a stiffened sports car (I personally don't give a crap tbh, it's so easy to change suspension on these if I wanted to).
-Do not wind it down too low, it ruins the ride. Somewhere in the middle works
-The rear ride hide is not correct for Z3's, I will need to wind it all the way down, it is sitting higher than stock.

In summary, its a decent cheap alternative to stock replacements, although I don't expect it to last over the warranty period (2 years I believe). I would probably have bought stock units but was short for the cash that it'd cost. It holds the road well now without being scared that I'll roll over. Hopefully nothing falls off, otherwise you'll see me in the tyrewalls at brands tomorrow! I'm taking the car to a quick brands hatch track session tomorrow, will update on the performance then!
Phil

M roadster S54

Re: Coilover review - JOM cheapos on a Z3 2.8.

Post by Phil »

Was this for coilovers all round?
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Any improvement with the tramlining?
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

I bought Joms last year one of the rear shocks packed up after about 3 months there was quite a lot of spring clipping to the front of the car going round corners, got rid of them after 4 months as got fed up with trying to stop the little anoying clanging comming from the front due to the 2 seperate springs compressing against each other. They did transform the handling of the car (made it a lot better than stock) I am now riding on Bilstiens all round with Spax Lowering Springs and the ride and handling is supreme compared to the Joms.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Keynun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Keynun »

Phil wrote:Was this for coilovers all round?
The kit included coilovers at the front, adjustable springs & stock shocks at the rear.
Del wrote:Any improvement with the tramlining?
Definitely improved over stock, but bear in mind my car is high mileage and was very soft before.
billz wrote:I bought Joms last year one of the rear shocks packed up after about 3 months there was quite a lot of spring clipping to the front of the car going round corners, got rid of them after 4 months as got fed up with trying to stop the little anoying clanging comming from the front due to the 2 seperate springs compressing against each other. They did transform the handling of the car (made it a lot better than stock) I am now riding on Bilstiens all round with Spax Lowering Springs and the ride and handling is supreme compared to the Joms.
bill
I feared that this would be the case, I haven't had enough experience but hopefully I won't run into too much trouble. The rears are easy to replace anyways, probably 20 minutes a side.
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Get some spray copper grease and grease them every month, that did do a lot to help eliminate the knocking you get from them but doesnt eradicate it all. Try and spray it with the car jacked up to get in between the springs. They do sound really bad if you dont.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash