FUSE BOX TOP SECTION REPLACEMENT.

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

FUSE BOX TOP SECTION REPLACEMENT.

Post by Southernboy »

I recently had the problem of the two "Diagnostic plugs" which clip to the side of the main fuse box housing in the engine compartment flopping around because the clip-on parts on the fuse box had broken. I bought a new top section of the fusebox (Part# 61131387590) where these clips are located, and took some advice from my BMW mechanic on how to remove the "old" section.
Here's a discription for those that have the same issue, and would like a "winter task"
1. The top section is held by 4 screws wich require removing. The ones at the rear against the bulkhead are a little awkward, but not seriously difficult to remove.
2. Take a photograph of the position and layout of the fuses and relays.
3. Remove all the relays.
4. remove all the fuses and lay them out in the order they were in their conecting slots. No other reason than when re-fitting, they will be in an order that speeds up replacement in the correct positions in each bank.
5. There is a "special tool" for releasing the relay and fuse bank housings. I tried it, and it was a waste of time. I lifted the top section upwards, and discovered that the wires below were sufficiently long to allow access from below and by reaching underneath, I could squeeze the plastic clips and release first the relay housings, and then the fuse banks. With the fuse banks, release one end and slightly pull downwards and then release the other end. There are 4 clip points on each. By pressing one end out first, the whole pops out. They fit really snugly, and need a some little effort to push out.
They will have their wires connected and you can gently move them aside to approach the next bank etc etc.
Once they are all removed, the top section of the fuse box can be removed, and the new part fitted.
6.Return the fuse banks to their appropraite housings and the relay housings to their positions. Ensure that they clip in at all clip connection points. Listen for the "click" as they engage. The relay connectors are a lot easier as they only have one clip point.
7. Replace the top and the 4 screws holding it to the rest of the fusebox, replace fuses and relays. - Job done - Total time...an hour and a half.
The 2 diagnostic plugs can now be replaced by clipping onto the side of the fusebox housing where they belong. I cable tied the harness wires leading to the diagnostic plugs to provide "extra" support to the clip points so that their deterioration would not be as possible vs the standard installation.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Thesurveyor

M roadster S50

Re: FUSE BOX TOP SECTION REPLACEMENT.

Post by Thesurveyor »

Thanks for this Barry it gave me the courage to do mine after the mechanics who did my manifold conversion succeeded in breaking off the clips for the diagnostic pods on the fuse box.
A couple of points to add to what is a very accurate walk through of the job. Disconnect the battery. There are four fixing screws and one is in the fuse box so this remains in good order. The others are tiny torx head screws that are exposed to the elements (but the shanks are quite long). In England these were all completely corroded and there was no way they were going to undo. I ended up grinding the heads off with a flexidrive and file attachment. This is not a problem because you get new screws with the new part but try not to destroy too much of the screws because you need to grab on to something with long nosed mole grips in order to unscrew the remains.
The fuse boards and rear relay holders are easy but the front relay holders are more difficult to remove because you can't get a finger on the latch mechanism. A long electrical screwdriver saved the day for me, reaching up to push the little plastic latch in just enough to remove the holder downwards.
Barry does not mention the large red mains wire (feed) to the box. This needs to be unbolted from both top and bottom before the fuse box top can be removed. The bottom terminal also blocks access to one of the relay holders so must be undone before the relay holder above.
Just one more repeat of Barry's advice to make sure the fuse boards and relay holders positively click back into the new part. I got a literal sinking feeling when replacing the fuses and one end of the main baord starting heading downwards.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: FUSE BOX TOP SECTION REPLACEMENT.

Post by Southernboy »

... Pleasure... happy it helped you, and perhaps you should re-write the process with your additions....for the next guy... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions