Strut Brace - insurance requirements

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
thepilsbury

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Strut Brace - insurance requirements

Post by thepilsbury »

Chaps,

From reading the posts I thought my insurers wouldn't have a problem with me wanting to fix a strong-strut to my mowta however having spoken to them today (for about 15 minutes - including explaining just what it was in minute detail) - they require it to be professionally fitted (!) and a certificate of road worthiness from (and they didn't make this completely clear) a garage. Any old garage apparently. I thought I'd be able to fit it myself - seems like a simple job - I'm not going to pay someone to do a job I can do quite easily. Also, any reputable garage will charge for the certificate of road worthiness. What is a certificate of road worthiness anyway? Isn't that an MOT?

Anyone else have these requirements imposed on them?
'MC' MarkC

M coupe S50

Post by 'MC' MarkC »

Blimey :shock: Which insurance company are you with :?::!:

Sounds like the person you spoke to knows little/nothing about cars, and is just playing safe. Try contacting them again, ensuring you speak to somebody different or even ask to speak to a supervisor/manager. Emphasise that it's an additional safety feature.

The back of an MOT certificate states that the vehicle is roadworthy at the time of the test, so I suppose that is what they mean. Why didn't they just say that eh :?::roll:
thepilsbury

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by thepilsbury »

My insurer is Churchill through online broker - screentrade who as you say know nothing about these things. I assume you had no such requirements from your insurer? Interestingly reading my policy document I'm not even convinced I need to tell them about it as it says I should inform them if any changes: "improve its value, performance or attractiveness to thieves". I suppose you could argue on all three points?!
Larri
Z Register member

Not specified

Post by Larri »

Sounds like Complete and utter b*llocks from a numpty on the end of the phone who doesn't know arse from elbow I'm afraid..... :roll:

The only things we ever used to need that sort of gumph for was a complete engine swap and a strut brace doesn't really come close :evil:

Call them again and ask to speak to a supervisor.
Larri ......Va Va Vrooooom!
Danger - Blonde with Attitude, light blue touch paper.......and remove yourself from area - sharpish
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Safety Devices

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

:? This theme is endless-------- Many owners have fitted F1 Tyres as THE tyre of the moment.Excellent grip in most conditions--Safety devices---BUT--More grip--so will drivers go faster in all conditions than previously.?

Far better road holding, could be worth 10 BHP in better performance, faster cornering, better stopping distances--so can go faster before having to brake, due to shorter stopping distances.!!!!!

Will Insurance Premiums be increased--due to Enhanced Performances???

8-) NOW!!! about those "Angel Eyes" safety devices!!!!
safetyfast