Strong Strutt

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Bloke

Other roadster

Strong Strutt

Post by Bloke »

Hi there,

If financial considerations limit what you can buy :cry: , which strutt would you recommend, the front or the rear?

thanks

Bloke
bmwstuff
Z Register member

Z4 roadster 3.0i

if you mean part of the strongstrutt trilogy

Post by bmwstuff »

:idea: go for the front strut brace first.
then butt strutt.
you will need the butt strutt to fit the bodybrace after that.

if moneys no object get the strongstrut otherwise eibach do one and its peanuts at ?150 or so and ship in uk too.

Hope that helps.
Dan
________
Ultimate Fighters
Last edited by bmwstuff on Tue 15 Feb, 2011 10:14, edited 1 time in total.
Jason

Z4 roadster 3.0i

strong strut

Post by Jason »

I'll echo that sentiment.

Addictive stuff though, get the front and you'll really want the rear, get the rear and you'll be begging for the front!

Go that far and you're hooked.... Springs, dampers, body brace... Heaven. Who knew these cars could be SO good!

Can't recommend the front and rear struts from Paul's team at Strong Strut enough. Haven't tried other front struts though so.....
Bloke

Other roadster

Tempted

Post by Bloke »

I am very tempted, as the front strutt is £219 at today's exchange rate!!

Thanks for the advice, will post again when and if it arrives!! (very tempted)

Bloke
TonyCal

blank.gif

Strut Brace

Post by TonyCal »

The E-tech Strut Brace is only £125 + P&P. BM Heaven or Proven Products can supply.
Just fitted one to my 1.9 today, pictures will be on my web site very soon.
Bloke

Other roadster

Happy New Year

Post by Bloke »

Cheers Fella,

Happy New year!!

Bloke
Lorraine

Z3 roadster 3.0i

I have a body brace for sale....

Post by Lorraine »

Hi Bloke,

I have the front strut and rear strut fitted, but my car is too low to fit the body brace. :cry:

As Bmwstuff mentioned, you need the rear strut to fit the body brace....let me know if you are interested.
Cheers,
Lorraine
Z3 3.0 :D
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

I already have a E-tech strut on order but have placed another order for a strong strut (competition alloy).

Open to reasonable offers...

MB
Kellstar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Stiffening Up

Post by Kellstar »

I have a 2.8 1999 (46k miles) and am disapointed with the apparent front end uneven feeling paticularly at speed! I have seen the strutt brace adverts and found another one today htpp://midnightracer.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/892 for £135 for front - I would like some advice from those of you in the know as I want to do the job proper like!

However with the wider haunch rear and 245x17 alloys I dont think I have much room to lower the car so shocks and springs are out at the moment (if someone has ugraded the ZM I might be ineterested in buying the old one's though).

M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

:idea: Unsettled stability at speed (straight line) has as much do with aerodynamics than anything else.. which includes road height. Front end lift under the front slitter/undertray and pressure that builds up in the wheel arches due to the retro design.

Hence why there are so many designs for diffusers and front Aero flippers... the Zee4 does not suffer from this as the design was thoroughly wind tunnel tested and less dicated by aesthetics.

The only kits I know that have been properly wind tunnel tested are ACS, Zeemax, G Power and Hammann.

:nerd:
Kellstar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Kellstar »

Thanks M BLUR - you opened up another area for my wallet! I will look up said kits know any good Websites to save alittle time :?:

My main concern is the cars reaction when cornering on dual carriage way (A452 near to A45 intersection B'ham) it's a wide not so tight long bend with some undulating surfaces and I rwaly had to back off at 80mph - the car front end realy pitched and rolled to the point where I felt the back might break away :nerd: Probably wouldn't but only had the car 1 month so not as confident yet :?
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

Kellstar wrote:Thanks M BLUR - you opened up another area for my wallet! I will look up said kits know any good Websites to save alittle time :?:

My main concern is the cars reaction when cornering on dual carriage way (A452 near to A45 intersection B'ham) it's a wide not so tight long bend with some undulating surfaces and I rwaly had to back off at 80mph - the car front end realy pitched and rolled to the point where I felt the back might break away :nerd: Probably wouldn't but only had the car 1 month so not as confident yet :?
Hmm.. :| I recall there has been mention of different tyres combos producing unsettled handling but the pitch and roll would certainly indicate the need for some struts. As for aerodynamics - any lift will reduce the effectiveness of grip tho I can't comment directly on the non-M set-up. Bump steer and the sensation of an active rear axle is common trait to all Zees, bar Z8 from what I know, and to a lesser degree the Z4. Could anyone else help Kellstar on this..?
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Kellstar wrote:Thanks M BLUR - you opened up another area for my wallet! I will look up said kits know any good Websites to save alittle time :?:

I thikn that is a general problem with the early non-M Z3s, that they were very American-orientated, softer riding etc it wasn't until the later 2.2/3.0s came out when they offered sports suspension and stiffer body(?) etc. My 2.8 to me use too underdamped and is most noticeable above 70mph. At lower speeds it turns in really well and feels quite nimble but does feel too soft and wollowy at higher speeds.

Fitting strut braces etc shouldn't make the car unbalanced IMO otherwise you would be saying the flexibiltiy of the shell contributes to the suspension which is pretty dodgy. Bracing the chassis should let the suspension do its job better, but the 2.8 is still too soft and underdamped in standard form to be amazing handling.
Big Mr P
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by Big Mr P »

M Blur wrote:

Hmm.. :| I recall there has been mention of different tyres combos producing unsettled handling but the pitch and roll would certainly indicate the need for some struts. As for aerodynamics - any lift will reduce the effectiveness of grip tho I can't comment directly on the non-M set-up. Bump steer and the sensation of an active rear axle is common trait to all Zees, bar Z8 from what I know, and to a lesser degree the Z4. Could anyone else help Kellstar on this..?
I must agree with M Blur this sounds like a front strut would help and for the price of them if you intend to push the car its worth a first try.

as for aerodynamics this is about speed, My hamman kit, which has been tunnel tested, doesn't do alot below 60 Mph (only looks good). So yes on a long undulating bend at 80 it should be working well but I feel without my front strut brace it could be wasted.
Graham,
Something for the weekend!!!
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

Big Mr P wrote:
I must agree with M Blur this sounds like a front strut would help and for the price of them if you intend to push the car its worth a first try.

as for aerodynamics this is about speed, My hamman kit, which has been tunnel tested, doesn't do alot below 60 Mph (only looks good). So yes on a long undulating bend at 80 it should be working well but I feel without my front strut brace it could be wasted.
My learned friend is quite correct.. ground effects only start to work at higher speeds while cornerning stability is more quickly addressed by adding stiffness to the front end, rear or both. As for high speed stability - seek out a kit tha has been tunnel tested like Hammann, Zeemax, G Power or ACS.
Malbec

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Strong Strut

Post by Malbec »

While on this subject, will I have a problem closing the bonnet/hood if I fit one to my 3.0i ?
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Re: Strong Strut

Post by M Blur »

Malbec wrote:While on this subject, will I have a problem closing the bonnet/hood if I fit one to my 3.0i ?
In each kit you get some plastacine.. this is so you can tweak the bonnet adjusters to get a good fit. This is described in the strong strut instructions...

Always :rtm: :)
BartS
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

a worthwile investment

Post by BartS »

IMHO, a strut is one of the best investments you can make for your zed, if you dont want to fork out $400 for a strong strut, you can source less expensive but still very effective front struts for a lot less money

I got myself a Sparco front strut, bought here on this forum from a ex-zedder for £75 (new about £150)

they do come for sale on this site occastionally, otherwise google a sparco z3 strut and you'll find plenty of suppliers.

bonnet clearance in my case (3.0) is not an issue/problem

good luck, you will not regret the investment
Bart

a qualified - Northern Highlight - chuffin' nutter
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

For similar money to the Strong Strut you can also buy top struts from Dinan, Hartge and G Power. For a bit more cash you can have an MK Motorsport CF strut.

I have found the Strong Strut to be excellent and I reckon few would be able to discren the differences. Of course if you spend a lot of money on the set-up then small differences can add up.

The strut Tim is selling is a bargain against the new cost.. if you want..I'll happily sell you mine for much less so I can buy Tim's.. if it is still for sale that is.. :roll: :?: :? or indeed so I can buy a more expensive carbon strut.

PM if you want to haggle.. :x
Last edited by M Blur on Wed 27 Oct, 2004 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
M Roaster

M roadster S50

Post by M Roaster »

I got a CL lightweight strut brace for sale I'll do 40% off new price if any of you is interested please contact me on the following email:

francisco.santos@jrsantos.pt

Cheers
Francisco
AndyW

Z3 roadster 2.0

Strong Strut

Post by AndyW »

Hi all,

I have been a proud owner for just less than a month now and am thoroughly enjoying the car. :D

I have found out lots of useful info by reading the forum so thanks to all you guys for sharing your knowledge.

Based on all the good things I have read am considering getting a strut brace. Before I do can anyone please help with answers to the following queries?

Does fitting a front strut brace constitute a modification for insurance purposes? If so does it affect premiums significantly?

I believe that installation is easy but I know myself to well to let me near my pride and joy with tools of any kind just yet. Seriously - I even managed to lock myself (whilst alone in the house) in the bathroom by shutting the door mid way through attempting to change a door handle! :oops:

Therefore does anyone know of any companies who will supply and fit (at reasonable cost) in the Greater Manchester / North Cheshire area?

Cheers

AndyW
rayl

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by rayl »

AndyW, At least you picked the right room to lock yourself into - for obvious reasons.
You make a good point about insurance companies, and the only answer is to ask them, by writing, not telephone.
AS for fitting your strut brace, any local garage from someone’s personal recommendation, would do it. I would stay and watch, and if the fitting involves the use of a hammer, go else ware!!

Ray
Theor's nowt as qweor as folk!
AndyW

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by AndyW »

Thanks for your advice Ray

I will do a bit of research. I guess getting one fitted might also affect my BMW warranty?

Anyone had any experience of this or with their insurance Company?

Andy
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Andy - we have had struts on all three roadsters - our BMW Stealer did not bat an eyelid regarding them - the technicians noticed them and have commented on how the turn-in is improved, etc

In both cases we told the insurance companies and it made not a jot of difference
Last edited by DavidM on Fri 29 Oct, 2004 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
AndyW

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by AndyW »

Thanks David - thats very good to know.

Will run it by my insurers before I go ahead but looks like there's no good reason not to! :D
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Less Risk

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

AndyW , As has been posted before, fitting a strut is a Safety item.Making the car more stable and less risk for Insurance purpose,s.

You should ask for a reduction in Premium,s. :roll:
safetyfast
AndyW

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Less Risk

Post by AndyW »

ZZZEMMCO wrote:AndyW , As has been posted before, fitting a strut is a Safety item.Making the car more stable and less risk for Insurance purpose,s.

You should ask for a reduction in Premium,s. :roll:
Very true! but what are the chances of that? :wink:

More likely they will take it as a sign that I spend my weekends recreating scenes from "The Fast and the Furious" - whilst blindfolded and with large knives strapped to the radiator grill. :lol:
rayl

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by rayl »

The point about telling your insurance company is in the small print, notification of any modifications etc. You give them an excuse not to pay out in the event of a claim and they will grasp it with both hands.

Ray
Theor's nowt as qweor as folk!
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

AndyW wrote: scenes from "The Fast and the Furious" - whilst blindfolded and with large knives strapped to the radiator grill. :lol:
No Andy that was Deathrace 2000 not fast and furious :D
AndyW

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by AndyW »

TonyCal wrote:
AndyW wrote: scenes from "The Fast and the Furious" - whilst blindfolded and with large knives strapped to the radiator grill. :lol:
No Andy that was Deathrace 2000 not fast and furious :D
...or Herbie Goes Psychotic! :twisted:
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

I've got an S54 M Coupe which I believe is 2.6 times stiffer than the MR. I've fitted StrongStrut's front-strut and butt-strut and the difference to the handling is tremendous, therefore, I would expect any of the Z3s the effect must be VERY noticeable. I notified my Insurance Co that I've fitted them and got them to acknowledge in writing the fact that I'd notified them, and with no increase in premium.

A very cost effective mod, and the Chrome front-strut looks brilliant when the bonnet is lifted 8-)
AndyW

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by AndyW »

Thanks Exdos - Definately sounds like its time to get the cheque book out again! :)
OliZ

M roadster S50

Post by OliZ »

ZZZEMMCO wrote:AndyW , As has been posted before, fitting a strut is a Safety item.Making the car more stable and less risk for Insurance purpose,s.
Talking about security... what I always wondered is: What impact does the strut have in case of a crash? I mean, it's a pretty hefty piece of metal that wasn't taken into account in the original crash tests. :?
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Strut Safety

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

I am Not a structural Motor Engineer, But-- if you have a Metal TIE, between two points, there is more rigidity & restraint from a side or front impact., than fresh air between the tops of the shocker turrets.

Maybe Robin can tell you like it is, after his "Off", he was asking all the info on Struts, so time ago.

I see it as something like a reinforcement bar in the car doors, in case of side impacts :head: ----But much more strength .
safetyfast
TonyCal

blank.gif

Re: Strut Safety

Post by TonyCal »

ZZZEMMCO wrote:I am Not a structural Motor Engineer, But-- if you have a Metal TIE, between two points, there is more rigidity & restraint from a side or front impact., than fresh air between the tops of the shocker turrets.

Maybe Robin can tell you like it is, after his "Off", he was asking all the info on Struts, so time ago.

I see it as something like a reinforcement bar in the car doors, in case of side impacts :head: ----But much more strength .
Yes it has to be stronger in the event of a frontal impact IMHO but it would transfer some of the impact force to the other side in the event of for instance a hit on the o/s/f quarter. there could be damage to the n/s/f strut tower too. Without the brace all the damage would be on the o/s.
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

They read it Here!!!!!!!!!

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

Perhaps BMW AG have been scanning this topic :shock:

The New 3 series specification , states that "some notable developments including a New crossmember in the load bearing structure"increases stiffness by 25% :rtm:
safetyfast
Kellstar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Kellstar »

:D Thanks guys just returned from Spain for the week so been slow to follow all chat links - I have ordered Front and Rear strong strut from US @ $775 with 1.78 exchange rate from Paypal - £435 so thought in the end the extra few quid was worth it for what looks like the best spec! Particularly with the $ exchange (did not get very good Euro rate in Spain though!! only 1.38) - Should have gone on holiday to US and picked the bugger up myself :roflmao:

I did see a Schnitzer M3 in one of those aitrport raffles that had a strut brace fitted on it so think that the idea must be worthy for all cars. I have asked strong strut for comments on impact issues (from refference front impact should not be much of an issue as crumple zones should not change side impact may be interesting though :head: ) lets see what strong strut say :?:

Will keep you posted of results in few days :squeeze:
OliZ

M roadster S50

Post by OliZ »

Kellstar wrote:I have asked strong strut for comments on impact issues (from refference front impact should not be much of an issue as crumple zones should not change side impact may be interesting though :head: )
I wonder what they'll tell you. IMO, the strut could prevent the engine from properly tilting in case of a crash, and therefore not diving under the body but intruding into the passenger cell. :shake:
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

I had my M Coupe in the garage yesterday to sort out the squeaking clutch pedal. I was loaned a BMW 520 for the day. It had considerable oversteer and a check under the bonnet revealed that it comes fitted with a factory installed front strut brace.

The design of this strut is that it is a tubular piece of metal (about 1" diameter) attached to just one of the screw mountings on each of the two suspension towers and the brace does not join the 2 suspension towers to each other, directly, instead the brace from each tower is connected diagonally to the bulkhead behind the dash.

Since the brace invloves some degree of triangulation (the strongest mechanical configuration) then in the case of lateral collision, then it is possible that the strength of the configuration may cause some distortion to parts other than the front wings, if the tubular strut does not bend under impact.

Just thought I'd tell y'all how BMW does it.
OliZ

M roadster S50

Post by OliZ »

exdos wrote:Just thought I'd tell y'all how BMW does it.
Well, they want to sell as many new cars as they can, don't they ;-)

(what a great way to increase the potential number of write offs for a lot of different impact angles... I bet the insurance for 5 series will soon climb a lot)

PS: 520 with "considerable oversteer"? How to acheive that?
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

OliZ wrote:
exdos wrote:Just thought I'd tell y'all how BMW does it.
PS: 520 with "considerable oversteer"? How to acheive that?
Don't believe me? Try one. Just remeber to keep your foot to the floor when you corner :lol: