Red Line Water Wetter

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Red Line Water Wetter

Post by Southernboy »

Anyone ever used this stuff ?? What's the experience if you have....
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Re: Red Line Water Wetter

Post by TR4man »

I have no experience of using it, but my naturally cynical nature would make me ask why would anyone want to?

If I understand it correctly, this product lowers the operating temperature of the water/antifreeze in the radiator. Why? I'm sure that the development engineers at BMW spent much time, effort and money when they developed the Zed to make it run at it's most efficient temperature without resorting to additives.

If your car is running too hot, then all this product will do is disguise the problem rather than solve the root cause.

Sorry that I'm not more enthusiastic about this (and other fancy "must have additives") but I just fail to see the benefits to the average motorist.

Regards

Peter
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Point taken about additives...My interest is more practical. I have read up on Bimmerforums, a "kit" to use so as to elliminate the Viscous fan attached to the waterpump. This archaic animal sucks up huge ammounts of energy. The "kit" is really quite simple, and includes the use of 2 x 350ml bottles of this water wetter stuff. I live in a hot climate country, - (it's been up around 38C. in the shade lately) and naturally would like to know about any product which will keep the motor cooler, while at the same time, I would like to allow the motor to run more freely and yield better fuel consumption as well as added power.
My curiosity might be rewarded by comments from some of the other members here who have stripped Z3's for racing etc, and would also have dumped the viscous fan.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

It would seem that the argument for and against goes on....I have read so many threads where there are no gains to be had, and ones where the claims of 10HP are reported. Then there are those that are confused by the electric fan creating drag via the alternator etc etc. Some people seem to think the electric fan runs constantly vs only when required and so on etc.
I would like to see a "mythbusters" type test done with and without a viscous fan. I will accept that a rigid fan will be a constant drag on the motor, but how much energy does a viscous fan clutch use as a constant once it no longer maintains the same revolutions as the engine. The whole idea of the viscous clutch is to negate the drag of the rigid fan to some degree, but it still saps rotational energy, even if only because of it's weight and that of the fan blades. Also, why are the "Eco / green" cars not fitted with viscous clutch fans ? Is this because the use of electric fans is more fuel / energy efficient, or because the type of engines they are fitted with run cooler, or because generally these type of cars generally run small engines of around 1.6 - 2.0 litres???
"Normal is overrated"