CD changer for Z3 1998

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
GROMMIT

Z3 roadster 3.0i

CD changer for Z3 1998

Post by GROMMIT »

I have recently purchased a Z3 but unfortunatley it has no CD or boot changer. It has cassette and radio but I obviously need some sort of CD device. I have looked in the handbook and it says that it is compatible with a BMW boot changer (I guess you buy the cd changer from a BMW dealership and plug it into the back of the cassette player and, bingo). However, I rang my local dealership and when I gave them my registration number they came back saying that this was'nt the case. Help, can anyone advise me on this before I become even more confused?!

Post by Guest »

You can fit a CD changer in the boot. it goes on the left hand side up against the passenger compartment bulkhead.

Key thing to do is to see if you're pre-wired for one. Two ways to check this.

1. Remote your radio form the dash and see if there is an thick cable going into the multiplug. There is a blue clip that holds it into the multiplug and a silver rectangulay multi-pin connector on the end.

2. Remove the boot trim pannel on the left and se if you have the connectors tucked up in the corner agsinst the passenger compartment bulkhead. One is a round din like connector and the other is a clear power plug like a PC hard drive power plug.

If you are pre-wired then pick up a "CD changer A" off eBay for around £100.

If you are not pre-wired then maybe better to go for an aftermarket head unit with MP3 support.

Simon
jsnellis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jsnellis »

I have a second hand boot changer for sale. it's still in the boot of my z3 but is not used 'cos I've got an MP3 player. email me if intrested.