CASTROL MAGNATEC MOTOROIL.

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

CASTROL MAGNATEC MOTOROIL.

Post by Southernboy »

You all know the product advertises itself by saying it magnetically sticks to the metal....Yeah well I didn't actually believe that spin until the rep challenged me. He took a large socket tool, (50mm)cleaned it with a dry paper towel to remove any oil etc.. (not that it had any on..I keep my tools clean and ready to use)
Anyhow, he dropped about 20 drops of Magnatec onto a painted board and stood the socket in the oil. The oil barey wet the socket as it stood with it's circular end in the oil as the oil had spread somewhat. He suggested I check the sides of the socket, all round after a couple of hours, which I did, and yes, the oil had defied gravity and "crept" up the total circumference of the socket to a height of around 15mm...!!
So I have to say, it does work. He then showed me another trick of this oil, he placed about 10ml onto a flat sheet of metal, he then placed the metal on the work bench, and after 5 minutes it was ascertained that the oil wasn't going anywhere because of any tilt in the plate. He took a Bic lighter, and used it to heat the plate from below and about 6 - 8 inches from the small pool of oil...well within 20 seconds the oil started moving towards the heated area..Neat demonstration of the product.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
PCSAM

blank

Re: CASTROL MAGNATEC MOTOROIL.

Post by PCSAM »

he is not a sales rep he is the local witch doctor :shock: did he do your effigy in oil by any chance ....... :? if he did I would remove your but-plug tonight just in-case :roll: :wink:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hah hah...Not everything in Africa is witchcraft...I just found it quite amazing that the oil was actually attracted to the hot metal, and defied gravity to coat the metal..a comforting bit of knowledge when the car has stood for a few days.
"Normal is overrated"

pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Have you tried the same with a different oil, say Mobil One? I suspect that what you witnessed was capilliary action.
Pingu
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I haven't tried any other oils...but for capilliary action one needs capilliaries...this just crept up the sides of a rarge round socket spanner..inside and outside. He reckons it's a genuine magnetic attraction due to ingredients in the oil
"Normal is overrated"

Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

I reckon he's a good salesman.
It would be interesting to see a control test with ANOther oil as Pingu suggested

Sent from m'iPhone using TappetTorque
Image :devil:
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Titan wrote:I reckon he's a good salesman.
It would be interesting to see a control test with ANOther oil as Pingu suggested

Sent from m'iPhone using TappetTorque
I do agree. Magnatec is surely a vary good oil, but I think it would be interesting to compare...
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....Snake oil..?? :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Capilliary action will happen with any material that is not perfectly smooth. I can't think of the word at the moment, but it is the same reason that champagne fizzes in a glass.
Pingu
Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Beemer Man »

Nucleation?
Olly2012

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Olly2012 »

I thought champagne fizzed in a glass coz you'd opened the bottle poured it out and not drunk it yet :-)
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Beemer Man wrote:Nucleation?
That's it :D. Although "inclusions" seems to ring a bell.

I feel a session on Google beckons :rtm: :nerd: .
Pingu
Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Beemer Man »

Quite possible, too!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I think it's occlusions which cause champs to bubble, and urban creep is like capilliary action, but if oil creeps up metal, why pump it from the earth..a long pipe would be fine..?? :D
"Normal is overrated"

pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Southernboy wrote:I think it's occlusions which cause champs to bubble, and urban creep is like capilliary action, but if oil creeps up metal, why pump it from the earth..a long pipe would be fine..?? :D
The word "occlusion" sounds more correct than "inclusion", so I'll go with that :D .

I've never heard of urban creep, but Google is my friend :wink: .
Pingu
paul.s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paul.s »

if the oil is magnetic I bet the filter has a hard time trying to filter the fine metal particles out of it :?