DUAL EAR DIFF MOUNT UPGRADE. JOB NOW COMPLETE!!

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

DUAL EAR DIFF MOUNT UPGRADE. JOB NOW COMPLETE!!

Post by Southernboy »

I would like to know if anyone on the forum will be interested in doing an upgrade from a single ear diff mount to a dual ear diff mount. I am in the process of doing this right now, and will be in a position to supply the "new" mounting bracket to accommodate the 2 eared diff cover + a specially engineered add-on to the diff so that the entire job can be done in a matter of a couple of hours including draining diff oil, removal of the "old " diff cover, removing the "old mounting bracket for the single ear, and welding the new bracket on etc etc.
The parts will come with with clear instructions - in "English" (not Chinese English). It's a really effective upgrade and will save you £'s hundreds. The parts plus detailed instructions will cost an ESTIMATED £.130.00
I say estimated, because until I have the final cost from the engineering works here, I can't be certain, so I have OVER ESTIMATED to cover myself for now. I am hoping to actually have it come in closer to £100.00.
Everything will be essentially a DIY with the possible exception of welding the new bracket to the sub-frame for those without welding equipment / skills.
I have provided for the sourcing of some parts by the "buyer" because I don't see the point in shipping bolts to the UK etc when you can source them locally and it'll be cheaper. Also, the actual rear diff cover with the 2 ears will need to be sourced by yourself..again, no point in it costing you double or more if I ship it over. The covers are BMW OEM parts, and you will be able to get them easily from your local breakers yards. I will simply provide the BMW part number.
Please PM me or simply respond to this post with a "yes". I will be eBay'ing the "kit" once I have all the bits in place. It's a dead simple upgrade and certainly as good as the Randy Forbes job, which is primarily comprised of a twin eared diff cover...just heaps less expensive than the $575.00 he asks via Rogue Engineering....ex shipping!!
Further....the re-inforcing steel plates for welding into the boot areas and under the car will be specified as annotated drawings with measurements etc, so you can have them made locally...again, no point in adding the shipping cost to waht is essentially easily available there.
Look forward to your replies / comments etc.. :wink:

NB. This upgrade is not only a repair for those with the problem of spotwelds popped already, it is an effective preventative solution too.
Last edited by Southernboy on Sat 23 Mar, 2013 07:52, edited 1 time in total.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Mike123

M roadster S50

Re: DUAL EAR DIFF MOUNT UPGRADE.

Post by Mike123 »

I would be a keen customer - no boot weld problems yet, but a sound precaution. The single eared diff bracket certainly looks weak for such a highly stressed area.

I've enjoyed the M for 7 years so far, hoping for a few more!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Having had a close look at my boot spotwelds today, I measured up all the re-inforcing steel strips that will be required to be welded into the boot area. I have dropped off the drawings for these at a laser cutting works this afternoon and hopefully will have them by tomorrow evening. Meanwhile, I have managed to get all the correct measurements for the subframe bracket which will be welded there and support the new diff cover by both it's ears....
Busy getting those drawings done on my CAD and will drop it off tomorrow.. all things being equal, I am hoping for a fitment next weekend saturday...so Pics etc etc will be coming shortly of the entire process and the requirements.
"Normal is overrated"

Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

When I looked at fitting a twin cover on my car I thought the RHS ear woud foul the exhaust on the //M, or be very close to fouling. Additional problem is the twin cover from BMW has no cooling fins so the LSD may get too hot. There is an aftermarket option (Rouge??) with fins but its expensive.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yes, it's from Rogue engineering...and carries a price tag of $575 ex shipping, import duty and VAT...so add that to it's unit cost and you're close to $1100.00 before you start.
The "cooling fins are necessary only if you're driving hard / racing. I questioned BMW about that, and it has nought to do with the LSD. Lots of other BMW's have LSD diffs and the covers don't have fins. Also, with what I have as a kit, the volume of Diff oil will increase somewhat by around 400ml. I think that should take care of any heating and lube... The oddity of the "finned@ diff is that the fins are only on the cover...the diff itself has only the re-inforcing webs in the casting...so although the fins will absorb heat and the air passing through them will provide better cooling...who is driving his M on a track for hours at a time ?? And if you are, well you won't have an OEM diff anyhow.
I doubt most drivers...M or otherwise have the opportunity to really push their cars for any extended time during a "normal" journey.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Here is the beginings...the new twin eared cover....cleaned and prepped....Image

For those of you who will be looking at this seriously, a topic of interest will be the "speed sensor" located in the diff cover. If you google the subject.."BMW speed sensor" it gives you an insight to the multifunctional contributions the item makes. It provides information other than just the vehicle speed... should have been called something else rather than just "speed sensor" which is misleading.
While you're looking into it, you will see that they describe the "bladed disc" which rotates through the sensor...that disc is the mechanical instrument which sets up an induced electrical pulse as it passes between the magnetically charged arms of the sensor...clever little piece of equipment...
Anyhow....to the point, if you can't make out the part# from my pic, it's 1213049. And if you're planning on doing this mod...start looking for it now. I plan to put the whole package onto eBay as a Kit, so those covers may become pricey.
I have noted that Randy Forbes had a look at this option in 2004...and came to the conclusion to make a whole new cover...at $575 a pop excl shipping etc etc... (See Rogue Engineering.com- his company). He hit the wall with that speed sensor bladed disc, and from the photo's I've seen, he removed it completely...and as I said above, it does a heap more than tell you how fast you're going.... :wink:
By monday, I hope to have part 2..in the photographic description of what is needed, and by weekend next I hope to have the 3rd critical element...the required mounting bracket in it's final assembled form.
...watch this space...
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: DUAL EAR DIFF MOUNT UPGRADE. Progress update.

Post by Southernboy »

Here is a drawing of the proposed new bracket to which the dual ear diff cover will be bolted. The bracket will be welded to the sub-frame to which the current OEM single bracket is fixed.

The bracket will be seam welded all round to the sub-frame / cross member with the 2 brackets hanging down. The 4 triangular webs are to add stability to the brackets as the dual ear diff cover doesn't have 2 bracket plates - one either side of the diff cover ear as in the OEM set-up. As you can see on the photo, the diff cover ears have a recess which is where the nut of the bolt resides. I'll be dropping off the dwg with the metal engineers on Monday to have the components made up and welded together.
More to follow during the week... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Here is the drawing for the inside boot metal reinforcing parts. The drawing will be supplied to the buyer who can take it to a laser cutting shop and have them cut. This means it'll be cheaper to have these made local to you rather than me shipping them to you, which at current postal rates will double the cost before you've paid duties, VAT etc...
"Normal is overrated"

c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Southernboy wrote:Yes, it's from Rogue engineering...and carries a price tag of $575 ex shipping, import duty and VAT...so add that to it's unit cost and you're close to $1100.00 before you start.
The "cooling fins are necessary only if you're driving hard / racing. I questioned BMW about that, and it has nought to do with the LSD. Lots of other BMW's have LSD diffs and the covers don't have fins. Also, with what I have as a kit, the volume of Diff oil will increase somewhat by around 400ml. I think that should take care of any heating and lube... The oddity of the "finned@ diff is that the fins are only on the cover...the diff itself has only the re-inforcing webs in the casting...so although the fins will absorb heat and the air passing through them will provide better cooling...who is driving his M on a track for hours at a time ?? And if you are, well you won't have an OEM diff anyhow.
I doubt most drivers...M or otherwise have the opportunity to really push their cars for any extended time during a "normal" journey.
I mostly agree but the clutch type LSD in the M by design runs hotter than a torsen diff for example as the clutches have to slip against the dog ears for the car to turn. The alloy backplate is like a heatsink and the fins on the M diff sit in the airflow as it's lower than the rest of the floor (and the diff body). I've had a couple of "burnt" E30 LSD diffs in my possession where the inside looks like it's covered in baked oil (or maybe it's just never had an oil change!). I think it's a good addition to have as a race car would have a diff oil cooler so the fins give a little extra cooling over a non-finned cover for cars that are tracked IMO. I can't help but think that some kind of 2nd ear "bracket" could be bolted onto the existing backplate though, but it'd have to be a bespoke part I suppose.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I'm working on a similar idea to what you're describing. It will require a bespoke part specific to the M diff. The diff "box" wich houses the actual working parts is much the same as the other non M cars. Essentially its the diff cover which is different. We will see where it goes with the non M car's, but I still believe it is only under really hard driving that an issue will become apparent.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The next chapter....
In the first pic you will see the new diff cover, the "inter-gasket" (10mm aluminium still to be faced both sides), the 8 bolts - + 10mm longer, and the metal parts for welding in the boot - 3mm steel, predrilled for spotwelds.
In the second pic you can see a close-up of the "inter-gasket" atop the new dual ear diff cover. It will allow the required extra space for the Bladed disc in the diff which records vehicle speed to pass through the sensor. The reason for this gasket will be apparent in the next couple of pics, where you will see the small difference between the OEM cover and the new cover.
Here are pics of the old and new covers. You will see on the new cover - with the sensor fitted - that the housing for the sensor is almost flush with the mating surface of the cover, whereas the housing on the OEM cover is 9mm lower. This lower position on the OEM cover positions the sensor further back, and allows the bladed disc to pass through the sensor arms. The new "inter-gasket" compensates for this discrepancy between the two sensor housings.
Here is a pic of the "inter-gasket" atop the OEM cover. and below it a pic of the inter-gaket atop the new cover...as you can see, the fitting is identical...

I will be collecting the components for the actual bracket tomorrow..this will need assembly / welding together and then welding to the subframe / crossmember. I will post a pic of the assembled bracket once assembled / welded with the new cover positioned to it to explain the difference in the OEM bracket for the single ear cover, and the new dual eared cover.
More to follow soon.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Next Update.....here is a pic of the dual ear diff bracket which will be welded to the crossmember below the car....The ally gaskets have gone off for their faces to be milled/ skimmed / polished...More next week when all the parts will be ready for actual installation....the acid test of my measuring, calculations and ingenuity...
"Normal is overrated"

c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Looks good! I've had a few E30 diffs and all the 6-cylinder 8-bolt casings in this fitment as the same so all the backplates are interchangeable, there seems to several different styles but onl yhe Z3M has the much bigger pronounced fins.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hi Rich...thanks mate...after reading your other posts.. I thought I might fall under your call to ban everyone!! :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Re the M covers...I find it significant that the M cover doesn't change it's design for operation in a country such as South Africa, where the road temps can be anywhere as high as +45.C. and air temps commonly around 34+.C. Undoubtedly the M cover will operate as does a radiator, allowing air to pass through the heated fins, and providing more efficient cooling. On the other hand, I note many non M cars have the option of an LSD as part of the OEM equipment specs...no change in cover is specified though.
Also, I note that many E30 and E36 track cars have opted for LSD's and chosen higher diff ratios for extra torque...and have retained the OEM diff cover...so one must ask...is it absolutely functionally required to have the finned covers. The only consideration is the lifetime one would get from the diff operating at a lower temp vs a higher temp, and it seems common sense that a lower temp is preferable, but is it true. If one considers the "normal operating temp" of the car motor..it is said that most wear is perpetrated at start-up when the motor is cold...go figure...Mind, having said that, I also note that some of the modern super-cars have oil pumps dedicated to their diffs with a separate oil cooler..but then this is a Zed, not a Zonda....and how often do you travel consistently at 160mph+ for longer than a few minutes?
My longest "high speed" run was 11.5 hours, when I did a run from Cape Town to Johannesburg...a distance of 1400 kms. (that included 4 fuel stops, some traffic etc)...so my average speed was in excess of 155kph, and I'm still driving the same car, same diff etc. Accepted it was a night drive...so it was cooler... :wink:
I'm not convinced that it makes a huge difference to "normal" motoring...added to which is, the purpose of the mod is to preserve the car vs thrashing it. But, in the interests of retaining the distinctive M look, it's not a very difficult problem to fit a twin eared mounting, and retain the OEM finned cover...you can buy a Randy Forbes cover.... :wink: Check them out on the Rogue Engineering website...You will still need to do some cutting / welding / bracket manufacturing etc to fit it...
Perhaps once I have completed my bracket, you can combine the two options...a ready made bracket, with a Randy Forbes cover, as in essence, he has combined the E36 dual eared cover with the finned M cover...so my bracket fits the RF cover as a complete unit, and if I may humbly claim, is a whole heap better looking than his bracket offering...(check out the photos of the RF conversions). It' all about the economics...My intention is to offer an affordable alternative which most of us can implement without a second mortgage, by allowing the individual a largely DIY kit, easy to install, with the assistance of a decent welding partner if one doesn't have the talent oneself. It is also intended as a "preventative" kit. Why wait until the damage is done when one can avoid it by installing a sound support to the potential problem area, and do it for a couple of hundred £'s incl labour, at most.
"Normal is overrated"

kamagloire

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kamagloire »

how come you're always quoting in pounds?
it's not the south african currency is it?

very nice stuff. i have just had my six spot welds to fix the ones that have come away. i have only had the 1.9 car for four months and don't think it was my school girl driving, so waiting to see if bmw aren't lying when they say this only happens after an accident or if driving like a lunatic.

i was interested in a boot rack, but it seems to me that a full boot plus heavy rack luggage will put weight just where you don't want it. Is heavy boot luggage to be avoided?!??
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hi down under!
I talk in £'s because most of the members think in £'s...
Heavy boot luggage makes no difference...the problem is the single eared diff mounting combined with really crap design / welding. The way you drive shouldn't have a bearing on the integrity of the construction. Obviously a rear end bang will destroy welds...but if you google the issue, you will note that at least 30+% of Z3 drivers are really aggressive, been in an accident, and or both...The Z3 isn't the firrst BMW to have this problem...it's common to most of the older M3's, 5's and E36's...The number of welds, the single diff mount and poor construction design all contribute to the problem.
When you hit the gas, the diff twists anticlockwise - when viewed from the back of the car...this pulls down on the mounting which in turn pulls down on the crossmember and floor of the boot. the welds eventually separate, then the weakened structure begins to work on the cross member which I have seen split as well as the diff bracket, which I have seen torn. The obvious benefit of a dual eared mounting is that as the (viewed from the back) left mount pulls down the right mount pushes up, this counters the downward extremity of the left mount and so inhibits the forces applied to the crossmember, boot, brackets etc. As you will see in the pics I have posted, the proposed dual ear bracket is substatially stronger than the OEM bracket. (3mm thick steel vs 1,5mm steel.) Also, it will have the dual ears, and it will - once welded into place - substatially strengthen the crossmember where it needs it most. The small pieces for welding inside the boot are all 3mm steel, and made to be both seam and spot welded so that they provide a sound re-inforcement to the boot floor to crossmember fixing. The combination of these elements should provide a fix which BMW should have considered in their original designs. BMW will not accept responsibility if they can avoid it...but as I said..if you google "BMW REAR DIFF MOUNT" you will find it is a universal issue.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

UPDATE....The re-made bracket with allowance for the diff cover...I've bolted it to the diff cover to check the dimensional accuracy, which is spot on !! :D Monday the bracket will be taken to be welded into a complete product. Also, a pic of the aluminium gasket which has now had both faces machined. It will fit between the diff and the diff cover and provide for the speed sensor bladed wheel to pass comfortably between the 2 arms of the sensor.
....This shows the laser cut slot for the actual bracket ear. It will be welded here, ground flat, and also welded on the underside to the main bracket frame, making a solid integrated part.
....This is the aluminium gasket...machined and ready for fitting.

More to come as I finally get to the point of doing the installation onto my car.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Compare this setup being carried out to fit the same dual eared diff cover....Now how confident would you be hitting the gas with your diff attached to this?
"Normal is overrated"

Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

An amazing piece of engineering Barry
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

Boysie wrote:An amazing piece of engineering Barry
dont encourage him . if you do he will come up with more enginering fixes ....... you have been warned :D :dunce:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....someone is full of it today...hope the weather is good to you guys there today....you may even have the chance to get the top down between showers etc... :D
"Normal is overrated"

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

Southernboy wrote:....someone is full of it today...hope the weather is good to you guys there today....you may even have the chance to get the top down between showers etc... :D
its a perfect Scottish summers day here . :D cold and pissing it down :shock: :bawl:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The bracket has been welded together....all that remains is the fitting....Here are some pics of the Tig welded bracket. As in the previous pics, the ears of the bracket have now been welded where they protruded through the main body of the frame, and then the weld was ground to a flush finish. The rest of the welds are deep and solid....The nexy pic will be of the actual prepping under the car, and then the welding of the bracket to the sub-frame crossmember.
"Normal is overrated"

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Looking good, really interested to see how it all fits together. Remember lots of pics when you install it :wink:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Ill be doing comprehensive pics so that anyone wanting to carry out the modification / repair will be have a thorough pictorial and written guide to be able to properly carry out the task either as a DIY or as a kit fit by a mechanic.
I will do a "dry run" on thursday as it's a public holiday here in S.A. So I'll be draining the diff, and removing the OEM diff cover to make 100% sure that the modification will be positioned absolutely correctly once the bracket is welded into place. Also, I need to cut away and clean the subframe spare wheel bracket which will interfere with the new right hand diff cover ear mounting. I'll use an angle grinder to cut it off and then grind away any weld high points etc until it is flush and even with the rest of the surrounding crossmember metalwork. Ultimately I will have to do the same with the OEM diff bracket, but since I'm not a welder, that will have to wait until the actual installation day.
All I want to ascertain is that the new bracket will correctly position fore / aft to connect up with the 2 new diff cover ears.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

1st off...I didn't do "comprehensive pics"...mostly because I did the entire fitting myself, and not really having any idea how long the task would take, I got stuck in and went at it. So, apologies for the omission.

To the description:-
I had the use of a service pit, and to anyone who wants to make this conversion, I cannot emphasise the usefulness of such a facility. I doubt the task would have been as comfortable or straightforward without being able to work under the car with relative ease.
I firstly removed the rear section of the exhaust, and having a full M zed type exhaust it meant disengaging the front box and the two rear boxes. This took me about a hour, mostly because I was working entirely alone, and also because I should really have made use of some rubber grease to ease the removal of the "8" shaped rubber mountings ( I think I have about 6 of them under there) I did use rubber grease when re-fitting though, and had the help of another pair of hands at that time...rubber grease is a must have for this type of job.
The next item to remove was the rear stabiliser bar...a very simple task, 13 socket and a ratchet...10 mins.
Next up was to remove the single ear bolt in the OEM cover. I placed a small hydralic jack under the diff, and it was stood on a steel frame which spans the service pit side walls. I raised the jack until it took the pressure off the bolt, and undid it (19 socket / ratchet, and 19 ring spanner on the nut side). 10 mins to set up the jack and remove the bolt.
Once the bolt was out, I lowered the jack until the diff was clear of the metal brackets which sandwhich the ear of the OEM diff, and using a "baby" angle grinder, cut away the rearmost flap of the bracket level with the subframe cross member.
I then turned my attention to the opposite side and had to simalarly cut away the hanging bracket of the spare wheel aahinge attachment point. This is a boxlike structure and a PITA to get at with the rear drive axle still attached to the diff. Perhaps in retrospect I should have simply removed the axle at the diff and allowed myself comfortable access on both sides,. However, since I wasn't yet 10% sure about my new bracket being an accurate fabrication, I felt that I wanted to restrict the movement of the diff laterally, so left them in place.
I then drained the diff oil and removed the OEM diff cover, and covered the exposed diff interior with a thick piece of cloth to keep any dust etc out of there, and cut off the forwardmost diff bracket flap level with the cross member. This process took around 30 mins, mostly as I said, due to restricted access by the axles.
I then changed the cutting wheel for a grinding wheel and ground down the section of the OEM bracket which is welded to the rearward side of the subframe. (Because of my bracket design, the welded remains on the opposite side of the subframe can remain ) The metal of this bracket is aprox 2mm thick, and is spot welded across the underside of the cross member in 10 places over a relatively small area of around 75mm x 120mm...another really filthy, noisy and because of sparks, sometimes hot, painful and smelly aspect. This grinding bit took aprox 30 mins...with a couple of breaks to rest from working with a fairly hot, heavy tool above my head...also the angle grinder needed cooling.
Once all the remnants of the OEM bracket was ground away, and finished flush to the subframe cross member, Iused compressed air to blow away all the filings etc to clean the area. I then fiteed the aluminium "inter- gasket" and the new dual eared rear diff cover. I used only 4 bolts of the total 8 to hold it in position and tightened them to around 10nm (that is not very tight, but enough to hold the parts firmly enough).
I then slid my new bracket into positionand fitted the 2x M12 bolts through the brackets and the 2 ears of the cover and tightened them "firmly". I then used the small hydraulic jack to raise the diff until the new bracket came into contact with the subframe cross member, and was held ther under "mild" upward pressure. I used a sharp tool and outlined the edge of the new bracket where it made contact with the crossmember, and then lowered the jack again. I then used the angle grinde fitted with a sanding flappy disc thing to remove all the paint either side of the outline mark on the crossmember. This so that when it came time to weld, the metal would be clean and provide the strongest weld.
Once complete, I used compressed air to blow all the dust away again and clean the work / welding area. I then raised the diff until the new bracket was up comfortably under the crossmember, and then it was the turn of Quinton to do his stuff. I can weld, but he is a pro. He "tagged" the new bracket to the crossmember in 4 spots, and then I removed the 2 x 12mm ear mount bolts, dropped the diff down again, and removed the diff cover, covering th exposed works with the cloth again.
At this point I must suggest that it would be best to have both axles disengaged from the diff. It allows clear access to all the areas that require welding. It can be done without removing them, but not easily. Also, it's best to be able to ensure good clean continuos welds to remove them....Removal time 30 mins. Replacement is aprox the same time
Once Quinton had done his welding - 20 MINS - it was time to do the final fitment of the new rear cover. This requires 2 x papaer gaskets - one either side of the aluminium "inter-gasket". I used Locktite Grey high tem gasket maker. The diff face, the cover face and both sides of the intergasket was coated with the loctite, the paper gaskets were "stuck" to the intergasket, and then the cover & inter-gasket fitted to the diff and all 8 bolts inserted and torqued to 40nm. The sequence of tightening these bolts is essentially a process of diagonal movement from one bolt to it's diagonal opposite. I first took them all to 20nm, then 30nm and finally to 40nm. I filled the diff with oil and after final fitment topped up. Then the diff was raised by jacking up until the diff ears aligned with the bracket ear holes, and the 2 x 12mm bolts with washers either side were inserted, and tightened to 60nm and using self-lock nuts. time - 25 mins. The axles were re-fitted to the diff and torqued.
The new bracket was painted with black Hammerite 10mins. A welcome tea break followed to allow the Hammerite some drying time -20 mins...
The rear, stabiliser bar was replaced. 10 mins, the speed sensor jack pluged into the sensor on the rear of the diff, and the exhaust re-fitted. - 20 mins.
Job completed. Aprox 2hrs 10 mins.

You will be able to see the edges of the 2 paper gaskets either side of the aluminium inter-gasket. The inter-gasket is necessary because of the bladed disc inside the diff which spins off the right axle output. It passes between two magnetic arms of the sensor, and thereby generates an induced electrical pulse. The position of the sensor on the dual ear cover is aprox 8mm deeper into the diff, and consequently the blades will not pass through the 2 magnetic arms, so to remedy this I have had made the aluminium inter gasket which once it's two mating faces have been machined is 9.5mm thick. This allows the bladed disc to pass comfortably between the sensor arms. If you scroll back up into this post you will see pics of the sensor position on the dual ear cover vs the OEM cover.
Here is a pic of the bladed disc which passes through the sensor arms.

My observations after the fact:- It's a relatively easy conversion. It's messy and uncomfortable even with the benefit of a service pit and would probably take an hour longer without the pit. The tools required are basic. I'm very pleased with the final result, and all that now remains is to fit / weld in the metal re-inforcements into the boot to re-attach the boot floor to the crossmember below.

The pic shows these metal parts which I had laser cut complete with 8mm holes which line up with the existing spotwelds. These will be drilled out, and with the metal bits appropriately positioned, welded throught the holes, and then seam welded around the edges to complete everything.

Comments, questions and criticisms welcome. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Re: DUAL EAR DIFF MOUNT UPGRADE. JOB NOW COMPLETE!!

Post by Deano1712 »

Good job. Do you have aftermarket exhausts? I considered the dual mount on my car but it seemed to me the RHS exhaust would be very close to the ear.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: DUAL EAR DIFF MOUNT UPGRADE. JOB NOW COMPLETE!!

Post by Southernboy »

Yep...I have stainless back boxes with a single forward mild steel box. The entire system was made for me after I moved the battery to the center of the boot floor from the OEM right corner position. The dual ear is actually quite simple to do, the main component being the ally gasket to extend the depth of the cover for the sensor issue. It's not just the sensor though, as even after with the sensor removed, the bladed disc still impacts on the inside of the dual eared cover when conventionally fitted to the OEM 188 diff. The bracket to attach to the diff cover ears is otherwise straight forward really.
"Normal is overrated"