Suspension Overhaul

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Suspension Overhaul

Post by XVar »

I'm looking to replace the OEM shocks and springs on my car with coilovers, and planning to do the work myself but I'm wondering what else would be worth replacing/upgrading at the same time. The last MOT had an advisory for slight play in the front ball joints if I remember correctly (haven't got it to hand) so I assume that's referring to the wishbones?

Having never worked on suspension before I'm not entirely sure how much work I'm letting myself in for but as the car's garaged and is a second car I'll have plenty of time to stop and read up on things along the way if necessary. Any suggestions on components that can be upgraded/should be replaced, or things that are too much work to be worth it would be much appreciated.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Suspension Overhaul

Post by Del »

I don’t know anything about switching to coilovers, others can advise on these, but if the MOT made reference to front suspension ball joints then it will be the front “wishbones”.

For the amateur, home DIYer such as me, the easiest solution was to replace the whole wishbone and bush as a combined unit. You will find if one part is an MOT advisory, the other parts are likely to be worn as well. The “challenges” of the task are then restricted to just splitting the inner and outer ball joints on each side – the remaining tasks just involve removing and replacing nuts and bolts.

I used the attached product – this comes with new locking nuts and bolts. It is also recommended that you renew the locking nuts holding the drop links to the wishbone.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-Z3-FR ... 2ebe616d5b
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Try google...there's many that have done the job..and lots of useful info on various other forums worldwide. Read a few, and consider your abilities...then just go for it! :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Finally got everything ordered, got new front lower control arms, bushes, and drop links on the way along with a set of BC Racing BR RA coilovers. Bring on the weekend of swearing and scraped knuckles :D
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

i changed the front wishbones recently. wasn't too bad a job if you've got some mechanical nous. Hardest part for me was getting the 'lollipop's' onto the end of the arm.

If you have bought the bushes seperate to the lollipops you'll need a decent press (or vice?) to get them in. To get them over the end of the arm we got them on a little way, slathered with KY jelly :shock: then held the arm in the vice and using a large socket placed over the end hit it onto the arm with a hammer.

This post is my effort http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 94#p345194

I'd be interested to know whats involved in changing the suspension, as i hope to replace my springs in the near future.
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Thanks for the link to your thread, the tip about the centre ball joint nut will certainly come in handy I'm sure. It's also reminded me I forgot to order a ball joint splitter, off to eBay!

I don't think I'll have an issue with the "lollipop" bushes as the ones I've bought are already pressed into the housing - I decided against getting poly bushes so went for standard pre-built Meyle ones (here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190716951815). The existing ones don't look like they've deteriorated to me but I did get an advisory on the last MOT so figured I'd replace them any way.

I'll keep this thread updated with my progress, hopefully everything will have arrived by next week.
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

One of my front shocks started weeping a bit so i decided to change the fronts shocks . good deal going about at the time so I decided to do all 4 corners .........
im glad I did all 4 shocks were totally useless next to no movement in all of them ..... new shocks fitted and its a dream driving the car now , a huge difference :D
linas888

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by linas888 »

XVar wrote:Finally got everything ordered, got new front lower control arms, bushes, and drop links on the way along with a set of BC Racing BR RA coilovers. Bring on the weekend of swearing and scraped knuckles :D

Hi,
I'm looking to get coilovers for my z3 3.0l. I noticed you have BC for probably 4 years now. I would appreciate if you could share your experience over the time.
Many thanks.
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Bit of a mixed bag really, the fronts have been perfect - haven't had to adjust them at all since the day I fit them. The rears however were a nightmare - really hard ride and clunked constantly. I ended up replacing the rears last year with Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs and Bilstein B8 shocks (the B8 is the shortened version of the B6). The difference is night and day - I highly recommend this combination for the rear on a Z3, it's not height adjustable but the ride height is pretty much spot on and the ride while not as compliant as stock is still very good.

Eibach Pro-kit: http://www.larkspeed.com/shopper/i/47E2 ... ng-Springs
Bilstein B8 Rear: http://www.larkspeed.com/shopper/i/5382 ... sorber-B8-

The Pro-kit springs normally only come in a full set of front and rear but Larkspeed ordered them direct from Eibach for me (Eibach part no. F2003102). If you're starting from scratch I wouldn't recommend mixing front and rear suspension though, if I was doing it today I'd go for Eibach/Bilstein front and rear..
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I ve just replaced both wishbones and track rods on my z3 as I had been advised some bits were worn when I had a level ii service done took about 2 hrs to do the lot, I jacked up the front (twin arm car lift) both front wheels off undid the 2 bolts at the back of the wish bone first ,then track rods ball joints, easy way to split the taper after undoing the nut is to hit the joint with 2 hammers as per car sos eddy the hardest thing was the middle joint getting to the nut was a bit of a pain new track rods were easy just cut off the clips that hold the boots on, slide them back and unscrew the whole thing I used copper grease on all threads and joints, measure the length of the track rods to get the new ones the same length , and get the tracking checked asap afterwards
peterz3