D Y K ? (Did You Know)

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

D Y K ? (Did You Know)

Post by Southernboy »

It is a well supported fact that wrapping the exhaust manifolds with heat resistant fabric will provide a cooler engine bay environment, and a boost in power. From what I've read, it seems the idea is that because the hot exhaust gasses are kept hotter inside the manifold and can only really expand once they arrive at the first silencer box, this causes a vacuum effect which draws the gasses away from the motor. This seems common sense. But probably the greatest benefit would be that the general temp in the engine bay will be considerably lower, and allow a cooler air intake and therefor benefit the density of air being drawn in at the inlet side. As we all know, CAI's don't actually create more measureable power, but it may produce a better throttle response which will translate into more smiles per mile.
The stuff is available oneBay - how strange - but should be readily available from any auto sports type outlet too. If anyone has already made use of this I would like to hear their comments regarding the perceived or real results. :wink:

Judging by the variety of available options, it seems Titanium and "natural" lava rock are deemed the better qualities with the greatest heat retention properties. Claims of up to 50% + heat reduction in the engine bay are mentioned..!!

The cost / benefit seems reasonable as compared to true ceramic coating, which is considerably expensive.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Re: D Y K ? (Did You Know)

Post by Z3cade »

It might make a differents for you in a warmer environment but for us over here, freezing our nuts off.. I'm sure it wouldn't make much difference :cry:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I think the idea is the protection of the other stuff in the engine bay...wiring, plastic and rubber connectors, hot air into the inlet manifold etc etc. and of course the added benefit of engine / exhaust "drone" is diminished as well as having the engine cooling system not as stressed by the added heat surrounding the engine.
Yes I imagine you're right about your climate being less harsh....well, at least on the upper side of the thermometer... :wink:
I have enquired about a roll of titanium fabric, and if the supplier is reasonable with his pricing, I may order some and install it. It comes with stainless steel ties to hold the ends in position. I was a little surprised to read that the thickness is only 1,6mm, which makes it fairly easy to apply. If I do go with it, I would like to do the entire exhaust from the exhaust manifold to the first center box where-after the exhaust splits into the L & R sections going to the back boxes. I'm hoping it will silence some of the "hum" from the 3.25" main pipe which goes from the manifolds to the center / front box. (I don't have a cat fitted).
"Normal is overrated"

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

i was out last Sunday and it was -3c (with the hood down of course :D ) with it being so sold im sure my car went up to 400bhp because the cold air intake was in heaven and had a good day ... or it probably was just the cold freezing my brain :o 8-)

wrap it loft insulation Barry and it will fly mate :squeeze:
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

PCSAM wrote:i was out last Sunday and it was -3c (with the hood down of course :D ) with it being so sold im sure my car went up to 400bhp
This is when you were being towed behind the Cherokee jeep :wink:
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Too much is made of cold air intake and the benefits it brings.Barry,with respect,you really need to put the hood up more often and stop the sun getting to you.Better still,come over here and experience our Spring weather,-6 degrees last night and a hard frost.Barely 5 degrees during the day but that got us so excited,we all washed our cars.You'll never convince me that cold air is good for man nor beast ....or zeds! Roll on Summer ! :head:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...ha ha...I know cold air makes no difference to HP, well not any measureable difference. I am more concerned with the extreme heat which I experience in the engine bay after I get in from a drive of anything over 5 miles. I actually open the bonnet and leave it open after a drive. I guess you can't recall a time when the road surfaces were around 50.C and the air temp around 38.C....it really makes the engine run hot. I can drive 600 yards up the road at 10am in the morning, and the temp guage is already at "normal operating " position. I have noticed that even the strut in the engine bay is "untouchable" after a longish drive of 10 miles. I imagine the wiring, plastics etc in the area must take a serious beating with all that heat. If as is claimed, I can reduce the engine bay heat by 50%, I will be very pleased indeed. I have just purchased 20 meters of the titanium heat wrap and look forward to putting it to the test. I also found a local supplier to the racing fraternity who sells a sort of aluminium foil looking product which has a double wall with a non heat conducting material between the walls...I'm planning on having a heat shield made to isolate the Simota - as far as possible - from the engine heat, and line the shield with this stuff on both sides.
I must tell you, the only time I get to have a true experience of the power of my Z, is when I get down to the coast. At the altitude here in Johannesburg, I lose around 18% of the power of the motor...you work that out on the numbers...that's close to a fifth of the power of the motor - like 40 hp !! Imagine your feelings if you were driving along, and abruptly had 40 horses depart...you'd think your car was running on only 5 cylinders, especially if a Morris Minor ripped past you because you also happen to have the aircon on further diminishing the power... :wink:
So, the denser I can make the air entering th intake, the better off my combustion should be, and hence the better performance I should achieve as far as throttle response goes at least. I doubt the overall power will increase however. The alternative is to fit a supercharger to compensate the altitude, but that's a £4000.00 + job to fit a decent system. A turbo has never appealed to me, as it's a serious heat generating option, and living in an already hot climate, one is concious of the discomfort most of the year.
I hear on Sky News, that you guys can look forward to a couple of generations of cold weather - 200 years?? :shock: Conversely, the prognosis for South Africa is, it turns into a desert something akin to the sahara...maybe a Bentley next, and a dish towel with red and white chequered pattern on my head... :D
You guys may have a good case for your whining about the cold...but I honestly believe it's easier to keep warm than to keep cool. My sex life is even affected...nothing worse than a low overnight temp of 25C. and having another body in the bed....there's very little incentive for getting too close... :cry:
"Normal is overrated"

geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Barry,I would love the feeling of 5 cylinders, that may improve the performance of our 1.9!!!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

You need a length of induction hose fed into the passenger window, turn the cold aircon on full blast.........Voila !!! cold air intake !!
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

......."COOOL"... :D ...or maybe NOS to increase the oxygen percentages.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Southernboy wrote:......."COOOL"... :D ...or maybe NOS to increase the oxygen percentages.. :wink:

That would be tidier and definately give more power ;)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

What about this new waterless coolant? Isn't that ment to keep the engine cooler?
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Ah yes...but the cost is seriously huge...and imagine you blow a hose....££££££'s :shock:
Just today I fitted a new water temp / electric fan switch with an 84C switch vs the OEM 90 something...hopefully it'll kick in earlier and do some cooling...... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"