Fitting Coilovers - Will I be needing wheels spacers?

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
sil53

Z3 roadster 1.9

Fitting Coilovers - Will I be needing wheels spacers?

Post by sil53 »

Hi guys

I'm one of these young types that loves to have a slammed car. Although I have decided to try not to go quite as insanely, and impractiacally low with this one, as I am really enjoying the drive, I just need to get rid of some of the arch gap it comes with.

And so, I have just got a set of coilovers ordered. What I was hoping someone could help me with, is that I will still be running the Style 35s that are currently on the Z. These are 16x7 et46, with 225/55 tyres. Will I be needing a 3mm or 5mm spacer on the front wheels to clear the coilover strut? Or should there be clearance?

I much prefer to plan ahead, as it isn't really practical to swap the coils back off, so that I can make the emergency trip to Halfords for some temporary universal fit spacers.

Cheers in advance for any help
siwilson

M roadster S54

Re: Fitting Coilovers - Will I be needing wheels spacers?

Post by siwilson »

Probably.

It depends on the coilover and your offset, but most lower the bottom spring perch so it is at the same level as the rim/tyre. I have KW and needed a 5mm spacer to clear it. I actually went with a 10mm to get a hub centric spacer. As it happens it widened the stance nicely.

Si.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

As Si says, you need to get them on the car as there is variance between coilovers and wheel combinations.

I think I used a 4mm spacer on mine

where abouts are you ? as I think I have a spare set floating about
Still modifying
sil53

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by sil53 »

Cheers guys. :)

I've ordered a set of 5mm spacers for now just incase. Hoping to sort out some nice 18s in the following few months aswell, depending on finding enough spare cash :twisted: