Popping noise when turning

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
sil53

Z3 roadster 1.9

Popping noise when turning

Post by sil53 »

Ok guys
I have recently fitted some Pro Sport coilovers to my Z3. When doing so, I also used new topmounts.

After driving it for a couple of days, I now have a 'Popping' noise when turning. It only happens at about 3/4s of a turn of the steering wheel, but does it when going left or right. It does it when stationary, and when moving at low speeds in car parks, especially when parking.

It sounds to be coming from the front right wheel area. And, to me it sounds like a spring is caught, and then it pops as the spring frees itself. If that makes sense.

If anyone knows what this could be, I would be very grateful. Cheers
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Popping noise when turning

Post by Del »

When this happens on a car with standard suspension struts, it is a usually a sign that the top/mount bearing has seized and is twisting the top of the coil spring which bounces back when tension reaches a certain level. However, as you have fitted all new parts it is difficult to say what is causing (what sounds like) a similar problem. I would re-trace my steps, check the part numbers of the parts provided and (by safely raising the car) observe what is happening at the top of the problem right side when the steering is operated, as opposed to the left.

I'm not aware of any particular issues with coilovers but if there are some specific issues - no doubt others will comment.
sil53

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Popping noise when turning

Post by sil53 »

Cheers man

After I posted, I went out for a poke around to see what I could find.

After checking all the bolts were still torqued up, and nothing was loose, I removed the top mount nut, and tried moving the steering wheel, and the noise disappeared, and after replacing the nut, and going for a little test run, the noise hasn't yet returned.

So hopefully, it just needed reseating?

If the noise comes back, at least I know its likely to be a new pair of top mounts though