coil springs

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

coil springs

Post by Mugs »

I have decided to replace my suspension components with new.
so far I have started with the rear shocks and top mounts and I am in the process of buying front shocks and top mounts but I also want to replace all 4 coil springs with new before I move on to ARBs and drop links / wishbones etc.
I have a 1.9 auto with aircon.
my question is: all the rear springs seem to be the same across all the engine sizes (must be due to the rear ends being roughly the same weight) but the fronts are different I assume due to the different engine gearbox weights. does anyone know if all the front springs are the same height / OD but are just stiffer (maybe with larger diameter coils for the larger engines?
ie. will 2.0ltr springs physically fit a 1.9ltr 4 cyl?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: coil springs

Post by Del »

The after-market front coil springs (Sachs) sold by Carparts4less.co.uk have their same product number for the 1.9, 2.0 & 2.2. I would double-check one or two other sources if I were you but it looks like they might all be identical for the above models. I would guess the weight of these models must be similar/close and they all have the same Getrag gearbox.
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

Thanks del.

that's what I thought but I will double check.
the reason for asking is I have been offered a set for a 2.0ltr and at a very good price so I will try them. :D
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Hi Mugs,

To check for certain give your local BMW Parts department a call and ask them to give you a price for springs, they will check there database against your car build and give you the correct part number.

Brian
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

will do - thanks Brian