BALL CAGE OR SLIP SLEEVE ?

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

BALL CAGE OR SLIP SLEEVE ?

Post by Southernboy »

Hi all you DIY experts...need some sound, experienced responses please.....
Firstly, I would like to know if Ball Cage CV joints were subsequently replaced by Slip Sleeve CV joints on later models. (These are the 2 types of CV joint on the inner end of the drive axles)
Secondly, has anyone ever had occaision to service these inner CV joints, and or had issues where replacement of an axle became necessary.
I suspect I have the Ball,Cage variety of inner CV joint, also I suspect one or more of the balls is busted...
I heard an od "rotational" clicking noise a couple f weeks back emmanating from the left rear. I am paranoid about any "rotational" sounds which aren't smooth and part of the normal operation of the engine / drive train / wheels etc. So, following morning I lifted the car, and inspected the rear undercarriage, and all seemed as it should be. I suposed I had perhaps picked up a stray peice of wire wich had temporarily attached itself to the drive axle, and had subsequently beed ejected, because after the inspection I went for a run, and not a sound out of place....
Now 2 weeks later, I got into the car last evening, and hello...it had returned...so, today I raised the left rear wheel and rotated it forwards and reverse through 360+ ...at the same point and only once per 360 rotation, there was a stiffening of the ease of turning, followed by a definitive click, which when I held onto the drive axle could be felt as a hard and abrupt shockwave as it passed through that point...
To determine if the fault was in that axle or within the diff, I lowered the left side and raised the right wheel and repeated the test..right hand side is perfect, and rotates with ease through 360 in forward and reverse directions. From this I must assume that the inner CV joint is the culprit as that is where the click is loudest.
Further, it seems that BMW only suppy complete drive axles, and that the inner CV joint, although removable as a component is not on their list of spares. ie. I am either in for a complete axle or, the possibility exists to replace some balls if I can find suitable size and quality. Or source a second hand unit and use it's complete CV joint or balls. A new axle is listed at $480 US. This means it'll be at least another 1/3 + more expensive here with duty + VAT etc from BMW. Obviously I'd like to avoid the cost, as I imagine it would be recommended to replace both sides.
The bottom line is I would like to hear from anyone who may have encountered this and done a repair, and what action they took, or any useful advice on my best approach to resolve the fault. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: BALL CAGE OR SLIP SLEEVE ?

Post by Southernboy »

.....for all those charachter detractors that have the audacity to pass comments about my relationship with the best supplier of Z3 parts...I have found replacement axles (correct part number OEM)...from Alexanders of Somerset...£25 each axle + £50 shipping... :D
However, I would like to add, I have subsequently found a company here in Johannesburg who will do a full refurb on the inner CV joint including new boot, clampc etc for £.48.75 ex VAT (14%).
The price is based on my removing and installing the axle, which seems like a reasonable deal.
It also says that anyone else finding themselves in my situation, can consider repair of the inner CV joint vs replacing the entire axle... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions