M50 Fuel rail cover

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Thesurveyor

M roadster S50

M50 Fuel rail cover

Post by Thesurveyor »

I have had the M50 manifold and BBTB conversion kit fited to my 98, 2.8 and it has transformed the car, much more purposeful engine performance and exhaust note. One small downside is that the old fuel rail cover does not really fit anymore. It bolts on ok but its obviously not really the correct shape because the branches of the new manifold are so different (larger) than the old. Looking at pictures on line it seems that later facelift engines had a different fuel rail cover with a more or less straight edge on the intake side and no cut outs for the manifold. If this is the case then can I go down to the breakers and get one of these to fit my engine?
Anyone got any experience?

(Its not the end of the world because with the cover removed the fuel rail is a nice shiny stainkess steel and it all looks quite "race car".)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: M50 Fuel rail cover

Post by Southernboy »

It's a very soimple solution...Go onto eBay and find a fuel rail cover from the M50 3 series motors. You will still need to make a small conversion to the 2 bolt positions as in the OEM state the cover sits too high. I cut the underside "cones" down by aprox 8mm, and it works well enough to lower the cover into a more "normal" position. The covers usually go for around £ 15+.
Here is an eBay link.... :wink:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-E34-E ... 3cd90951e2
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions