Z3 1.9 Tuning

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

Z3 1.9 Tuning

Post by Rocketbike »

I have a 98 Z3 1.9 which I brought two years ago with 53,000 on, and is now at 77,000 and I'm very happy with it generally, especially as cosmetically its now exactly how I want it, and it's been 100% reliable. It suits me just fine in just about every way, except it does just lack that instant urge to overtake at 60-70 mph on a country road when you want to nip by something and theres not too much room. It has a stainless exhaust on which sounds great, and now a K&N fitted by me, and I'm happpy to spend £2-300 getting it chipped etc. if that would just fill the gap. I've seen power chips advertised that offer 25-30 bhp and improved fuel economy - but have no idea if they work/really do that, or what othertuning options there are, and I don't want to spend money and spoil the car, so any thoughts or contacts/recommendations for getting a bit more urge (or not bothering!) and keeping it reliable would be really welcome. I know I could change the car, but I really don't want to do that
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Z3 1.9 Tuning

Post by Alan W »

Chipping that engine wont do a lot and you will have to learn to live with the limits of that engine. It would also be uneconomical to go down the lines of performance engineering to the cylinder head and camshaft. If you think your car will always leave you wanting consider selling it and getting a 6 cyl car, preferably a 2.8 or 3ltr and you will never feel short of power. Even a 2.2 will feel significantly more powerful / torquey than your current car. A 1.9 is fine if you can live with it but will never set the world on fire.
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

don't waste your cash on ebay tuning chips most are just a resistor that fools your ecu into thinking its cold and chucks more fuel through . as allan w says a re map wont give a lot on a normally aspirated 1.9 engine either
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Yep – I agree with the chip/remap probably being a waste of money – better off buying a new MAF sensor – I find they can “fade” with age without triggering an error code – the diagnostics on the M44 engine not being the most sophisticated.

Check the resistance on your HT leads. The original Bremi leads should have a resistance between 4.9 – 5.5 kohms.

New set of spark plugs – mine responded well to Bosch FGR 7DQP+.

Put a bottle of injector cleaner in the system to clean those old injectors and finally, the M44 has a lot of vacuum pipework – there is a “tree” of four pipes (branching from the MAF bellows), under the inlet manifold, that goes to each injector. This is a characteristic of the M44 engine and is designed to help fuel atomization. These pipes get overlooked and split with age allowing small vacuum leaks – which causes a lack of power.

Don’t get depressed about the M44 engine, it shares a tough "racing" cast iron block with the M and its predecessor the M42 was said to be BMW’s most technologically advanced engine when fitted to the E30 which reportedly gave some of the BMW 6-cylinder engines (of the day) a run for their money. Remember the car is also a more lighter and agile than its 6-cylinder siblings. :D

http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/318iS
Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rocketbike »

Thanks for the responses. I'll take a look at those bits. I did try a 2.2 and was a little suprised by how small power increase is, and felt the differance in handling. The 2.8/3.0 route would be great, but my cars sorted, and I'm not that keen on the idea of the extra running costs, although if anything happens to mine that's the route I'll take :)