Rear valve in the exhaust box on my 3.0

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Rear valve in the exhaust box on my 3.0

Post by Southernboy »

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the valve in the one pipe of the exhaust on my 3.0.... Is it an emissions thing or something to modify noise or an economics gizmo ?
What I don't like about it, is that one pipe outlet is black from the exhaust emissions, whilst the one with the valve looks pretty unused... so, if it's not being used, why have 2 pipes?
I look forward to soem enlightening comments... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Rear valve in the exhaust box on my 3.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

It's to change the exhaust note at certain revs, I had mine blanked when I had the eisennann exhaust fitted a couple of weeks ago.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Aha !...please describe to me what the "blanking" process involves... :D
"Normal is overrated"

('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

When I asked mike fishwick for his help with the same problem he sent me this,

"Just disconnect the vacuum pipe frm the valve cylinder, and plug it with a suitable smalll bolt - that's all that is required. The valve opens the shorter (and noisier) path within the silencer about about 3000 rpm to increase the exhaust noise, but with the Eisenmann you will get more noise at all speeds!"

Hope that helps, my local Indy only charged £30 to fit the eisennann and blank the tube so it can't be that bigger job!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Cool...I'll lift the car up and have a look under there....thanks !! :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Commonly referred to as the golf tee mod, where a golf tee is used to block the vacuum pipe ;)
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

... Thanks for the size indication Hilton...I assume this pipe is located under the car adjacent to the exhaust somewhere?
"Normal is overrated"

gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

('_')Z3 wrote:When I asked mike fishwick for his help with the same problem he sent me this,

"The valve opens the shorter (and noisier) path within the silencer about about 3000 rpm to increase the exhaust noise!"
From what is described then it will be quieter after 3000 revs as the valve will never open?

I looked at my exhaust and the valve was open anyway..
I disconnected and plugged the pipe and noticed no difference, unless mine was stuck open ( the way I would want it anyway)

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I'm not sure when it should be open and when it should be closed under normal operation...I have seen it in both open and closed positions...both times whilst the car has been stationary, and the motor not running...so go figure... I seems it's a gimmick that can be elliminated and I think I prefer both holes open all the time... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

Southernboy wrote:... and I think I prefer both holes open all the time... :wink:
That's what she said...
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

if you think about it it will be open with no vacuum pipe connected as vacuum in the inlet side of an engine decreases as the revs rise the valve opens as revs rise simples :D . my 330ci had the same thing but was stuck closed I just removed the vac pipe and sprayed wd40 at it and wiggled it a bit until it opened
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Nice theory, but there is actually an electric valve that controls when the vacuum is applied.

The purpose of the flap is to reduce exhaust noise at low engine revs, for example when driving in towns.

Cheers R.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...Thanks for all the input guys....Does the exhaust make more or less noise with only one pipe open or two open? I would have thought that with two open and less restriction, it will be quieter ?? ....I have just been out on a short run of around 2km, and looking up the spouts, with the motor turned off, they are both open... the moment I start the motor, it shuts...so it would seem one pipe is quieter than two..... I think I need 4 pipes again... the neighbourhood is becoming complacent..... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The less area of exhaust ventage the quieter - you get less of the booming low notes akin to those that the boy racers get from their baked-bean can exhausts.

By your description, the flap is normally open, held there by a spring. With low revs the electric valve will open, thus applying a vacuum and holding the flap closed. When the engine revs increase the electric valve closes, releasing the vacuum and the spring will open the flap. This also ties in with what Mike says in that if you disconnect the vacuum line and plug it (so that you don't have a vacuum leak) then you can safely bypass the mechanism and it will be open all the time.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

That'll be one plugged vacuum line then... :D
"Normal is overrated"

gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I did this expecting great things but noticed no sound or volume difference whatsoever.. :head:

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

I never noticed any vacuum pipe when I fitted my Eisennman back box. Where is it located ?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I haven't looked for it yet, but when I do find it, I'll let you know...or someone else here will come along and we'll both know...I suspect it will be under the car somewhere... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Zedbedee »

IMHO the best way to deactivate this valve is to remove the carpet from the left hand side inside the boot and remove the vacuum tube from the engine to the electronic controller mounted in the bottom of the well which is revealed. Then block the pipe with a suitable bolt or a golf tee. This enables the system to be reactivated in the future if you wish to without the problem of the dirt and debris which builds up under the car. You will get a much nicer exhaust note, especially at lower speeds.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Zedbedee wrote:I You will get a much nicer exhaust note, especially at lower speeds.
I wish.....

Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Zedbedee »

You could check your valve in the rear silencer. It may have already jammed in position, it needs to be open all the time to get the best sound. I was very pleasantly surprised at the difference this simple mod made.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

..... Just popped out and plugged the tube with a nice luminous pink golf tee... Job done. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"