Gearbox oil change.

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Gearbox oil change.

Post by Southernboy »

I would like to do a gearbox oil change, mainly because I find the gear selection a bit sticky until the system warms up. It has the yellow sticker (Lifetime oil) on the gearbox. Id' like to know what the most suitable replacement oil is. If anyone has looked into this in detail, and has found a suitable option to the OEM oil. please let meknow... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Mint

blank

Re: Gearbox oil change.

Post by Mint »

I did mine last year Barry and did some investigation. I used Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic manual transmission fluid which I got from OPIE Oils (http://www.opieoils.co.uk. While I was at it I also changed the oil in my (limited slip) diff with Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip 75W 140 (Formerly SAF-XJ 75w-140). The gearbox took about 1.5 litres and the diff nearly 2 litres.

It's not cheap stuff anymore :( , the gearbox oil was £13.48 / litre and the diff oil was £16.54 and I bought 2 litre of both. £60.04 in total plus P&P.

FWIW the change of gearbox oil didn't help my shift... :head:
Cheers
Dave
Last edited by Mint on Tue 22 Apr, 2014 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks Dave... what is the problem with your gearshift then ?
I find that 3rd gear is difficult to locate until the system warms up...then it's not a problem... any suggestions ?
"Normal is overrated"

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I spent a long time researching gear oils and opted for a GL4 rated gearbox oil. More modern GL5 has more anti-friction additives which can attack some classic car synchromesh systems (yellow metals). I suspect that the Z3 gearboxes are Ok but you will not find anyone either at BMW or Getrag/ZF prepared to confirm. The original fill was GL4 rated.
Since the gearboxes were installed the oil (LT 1) followed by (LT 2) has gone from typically being single viscosity e.g. 75W to multi-grade viscosities that cope with a wider temperature range i.e. 75W-90. I used the attached in my 1.9:-

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-739-castrol ... 5w-85.aspx

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

This gets discussed a reasonable amount on a US-based Z3 forum, and there are lots of people that use Amsoil transmission fluid. I use ATF fluid in my 1.9, as that meets the spec for a manual gearbox on an M44, believe it or not!
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Southernboy wrote:Thanks Dave... what is the problem with your gearshift then ?
I find that 3rd gear is difficult to locate until the system warms up...then it's not a problem... any suggestions ?
Mines more of a problem 1st to 2nd...it can't be rushed. All the others are fine. Sorry , no further suggestions, I decided to live with it as it's not a major problem. I suppose a g/box strip down for a look would be the next thing.
Maybe someone else can help?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

BladeRunner919 wrote:I use ATF fluid in my 1.9, as that meets the spec for a manual gearbox on an M44, believe it or not!
Yep, I've seen that recommended by some sources - I don't know for sure but suspect the viscosity of ATF fluid is similar to a single viscosity (75W) gear oil (LT 1?).
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I tried a search on the subject...I thought I had read about this problem elsewhere on the forum...It involved some sort of spring inside the gearbox which regulates the lever position left to right...At this time, the lever is sprung over towards the 5th gear line when cold..and skips the 3rd gear line.... so I have to "search" for the gate to 3rd.... Once it heats up, the spring seems to be OK finding the 3rd gear line and stops being pushed to the 5th gear slot... I seem to recall that it was either remove and open up the gearbox, or do an oil change in the hope that it would correct with fresh lube... Needless to say, I didn't find any relevant post on the subject... But hopefully, someone will come along and point me in the right direction.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

MTF-LT-1 is available from the SERVICE DEPARTMENT for around £50 for 2 litres. I know because I bought some.

MTF-LT-2 is only for cars built after September 2003.

Castrol SAF-XJ is for limited-slip diffs (lamella self-locking differential).

Castrol SAF-XO is for non limited-slip diffs.

Source of info is BMW TIS 3.4.1 dated 17 Nov 2003.
Pingu
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Southernboy wrote:I tried a search on the subject...I thought I had read about this problem elsewhere on the forum...It involved some sort of spring inside the gearbox which regulates the lever position left to right...At this time, the lever is sprung over towards the 5th gear line when cold..and skips the 3rd gear line.... so I have to "search" for the gate to 3rd.... Once it heats up, the spring seems to be OK finding the 3rd gear line and stops being pushed to the 5th gear slot... I seem to recall that it was either remove and open up the gearbox, or do an oil change in the hope that it would correct with fresh lube... Needless to say, I didn't find any relevant post on the subject... But hopefully, someone will come along and point me in the right direction.. :wink:

It's not the shift pins problem, is it?
http://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplassma/ ... _pins.html
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

..... Hi Blades...I wish I knew.... I've googled and found that the "most common cause" are the bushings... which can be replaced without removing the gearbox... What I may do is:- 1. Oil change...failing that... 2. bushings...... failing that...3. shift pins....failing that... 4. replace the car... :D
"Normal is overrated"