HELP....DEAD INSTRUMENT CLUSTER ?

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

HELP....DEAD INSTRUMENT CLUSTER ?

Post by Southernboy »

I gather some people have experienced the "dead instrument cluster" syndrome.... I have just been out and all the dials on the cluster incl revs, speed, temp and fuel are zeroed, and unmoved.
Any advice on the remedy or suggestions on appropriate action required will be appreciated. (Lighting / indicators are functioning).
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: HELP....DEAD INSTRUMENT CLUSTER ?

Post by alec.m »

It happened to me. It will all come back on after a few hours, no idea what happens. Someone else had had that a couple of times and never got to the bottom of it. I`ll see if I can find the old post with a few ideas on it. :head:
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

............... Checked the fuses...#31 had blown... replaced and working again... :D
Actually there are 4 fuses which relate to the cluster on the 3.0... 21 / 27 / 31 / 46.
I guess I must've cooked it whilst doing some of the electrical work behind the console...
Thanks for the replies though... :cheers
"Normal is overrated"

alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Good to hear it`s sorted :cheers
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....... for a change, it was an easy fix...sometimes when these things arise, it becomes a headache to source the problem... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Just resurrecting this thread... I have been sorting the dials out in my M the past few weeks and today I was putting the clock back and noticed it was not working. I checked the connections an there is no power coming to the connections. I have checked all 4 fuses listed and they are all fine. (The temp and oil gauges are all working)

Does anyone have any other ideas where to check? The only other thing I can think is that maybe I have damaged the wires behind the centre console somehow and I am not likely to be removing the console for a while yet
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You can track the connection back from the dials to the 6 pin connector by going in from the side... ie no need to remove the console.... remove the 2 screws at the top of the console sides under the dash, and pull it back... they are pretty flexible, and should allow you to get a hand in there... a tad uncomfortable work position, but kneeling on a cushion placed on the floor outside the car door is about where I approach it from.... being R/handed, I use the driver side.
"Normal is overrated"