Redex

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Redex

Post by johnz3 »

Just watched a Fifth Gear programme where they went through some increased performance enhancements. One of those was the use of Redex. Not worried about power improvements, more the cleaning of the fuel system. Anyone used it and can recommend it please. Also what happens to the 'muck' after the system is cleaned.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Redex

Post by Southernboy »

.......... Oil change might be the logical solution after use ?
Although many fuels are advertised as containing additives which "keep the engine clean". In support of those claims, I removed my intake manifold from my 2.8 a few years back, and looking into the intake ports on the cylinder head, the valves and stems, and the general interior there was all like bright new metal. I habitually use Caltex premium which claims to contain "CX3" - That additive is supposed to keep the engine clean. Maybe it does, or maybe that area of the cylinder head is always clean if all seals etc are "normal"...
Redex was a very popular additive when fuels still had lead added... it was claimed to lube valves etc and prevent them sticking etc... I recall seeing mechanics tossing it into the top of carburetors when I was a kid, and the exhaust would billow clouds of white smoke as it was burnt in the cylinders. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Cheers. Worth a £5 so will give it a try.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Let us know what the outcome is if anything noticeable.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

MarkAP68

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MarkAP68 »

I use STP in my cars as used redex 20 years ago and found STP much better.
TomH84

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TomH84 »

x2 on just changing your oil regularly and keeping on top of servicing (air filter/ plugs etc). And use only high quality branded super-unleaded - it's full of detergents, plus you get improved performance guaranteed by BMW (the z3 ECU remaps for 98 octane fuel) = zoom zoom.
2002 BMW Z3 2.2i 82k
1971(K) MGB GT - the 'other' car
Zedona

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zedona »

I saw that edition of Fifth Gear and they tried to regain original power output from an older car.
Everything tried was then tested on a rolling road to determine power at the wheels. The only
significant increase in power was after a Redex treatment, about 4.5 BHP as I recall. All other
things tried resulted in minor improvements. As for other treatments only a similar test would
be worth while, an increase of 4 BHP isn't really noticeable in driving.
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Yes that was the programme. Am going to try the treatment in the week.
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

TomH84 wrote:x2 on just changing your oil regularly and keeping on top of servicing (air filter/ plugs etc). And use only high quality branded super-unleaded - it's full of detergents, plus you get improved performance guaranteed by BMW (the z3 ECU remaps for 98 octane fuel) = zoom zoom.
+1
i have been using Shell v power nitro+ in the zed for about 3 months and every time i drive it it feels better, smoother and a little faster so it must be doing some good by cleaning out 18 years of gunk from the system.
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

I've used stp and redex in my z3 for the past 3 years.....
I recomend you save the money that you were going to purchase these snake oils with, then when you accumulate £126 have a terra clean done.
I had my 1997 2.8 auto (60k on the clock) cleaned a couple of months ago .....I constantly saw 17 to 19mpg but i do like driving foot to the floor with the "daft boy mode" button on the auto box engaged quite often, after my last three fill ups I've been averaging 23mpg with the same style of driving. Ive yet to drive grandpa style and see what the mpg is.

Like others have said, high quality super like shell v-power nitro contains detergents anyway, so in my opinion, the snake oil is a waste of money and the terra clean has definitely done something good
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Tesco's quite often have it at half price, which is when I purchase mine for £1.98.
I have used it in many of my vehicles, it certainly has done them no harm and from
reports published seems to do some good.
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

5th gear Youtube video link - Redex seems to be quite impressive !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03nL8Z0dRkI
"Normal is overrated"