2.8 big bore manifold kit update

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
topfuelking

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

2.8 big bore manifold kit update

Post by topfuelking »

Popped over to Ian's house on Saturday morning for the install and was given a full run-down on how he modifies the 325 inlet manifold to fit the 328. Even to a layman such as myself the machining he undertakes to make this mod work is fantastically impressive.and it look stock when fitted :wink:
on the way home I was able to give the car a few short bursts of full throttle to the red-line and was v happy indeed. As many others have reported,on the e36 forum the strength of this mod lies in the new top-end power that Ian's manifold releases as compared to the original restrictive (by design) set-up. Pulling hard all the way to the red-line is no longer a problem (having previously run out of steam at 5,000 rpm). this kit is not like a turbo or nos kick in the butt power but it make's the z the car it was meant to be it's a top mod for small money.. Ian you are the man !! email alpina527@aol.com for info
Last edited by topfuelking on Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:49, edited 1 time in total.
THANKS MARC
looking for a carp fishing hoilday we can help http://www.carpfishingmayenne.com

ImageSYMPTOMS OF A BOOST JUNKY

1. You get excited when it's cold outside.
2. You fill up every three days.
3. The size of your grin is directly proportional to the amount of boost you’re on.
Ludo

Z3 coupe 2.8

Re: alpina big bore manifold kit update

Post by Ludo »

topfuelking wrote: this kit is not like a turbo or nos kick in the butt power but it make's the z the car it was meant to be it's a top mod for small money.. Ian you are the man !!
nothing more to say!
ChippedUK

Not specified

Post by ChippedUK »

with ians manifold, a decent intake ki and remap you can see over 235hp from the 2.8 !!!
www.chippeduk.com for xtra performance.
Making cars quicker for the past 12 years.
jayson@chippeduk.com - 07815-501867
Landline: 01527-579345
EDnSKY

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by EDnSKY »

hi,
just a small question...Can the big bore manifold kit be done on a Z3 3.0i?

cheers

EDnSKY
topfuelking

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by topfuelking »

the 3ltr has got one
THANKS MARC
looking for a carp fishing hoilday we can help http://www.carpfishingmayenne.com

3. The size of your grin is directly proportional to the amount of boost you’re on.
EDnSKY

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by EDnSKY »

Excellent.....I can spend my pennies on another mod !!!!! :mrgreen:
zedski3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: alpina big bore manifold kit update

Post by zedski3 »

Hi all..Ive just bought and fitted the Big bore throttle body/manifold kit. like you guys are saying its well worth the money.. Ian is very helpful and went through the install with me when I met him to collect the kit.. A remap is on the books but I'm skint at the mo :bawl: so that will have to wait..
One thing I hate about this forum is that you get ideas and start spending shed-loads of money.. But boy is it worth it!
Adam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Adam »

sorry to drag up this old thread from the depths of zroadster.net but is ian still doing this mod / kit ?

I was speaking to e-maps earlier and they recommended this mod then the remap.

How much noticable difference did it actually make, bhp figures etc.

thanks.
adam
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

It's a common mod and is reckoned to give circa 30 realistic bhp. It's also discussed a lot on other BMW forums and Pistonheads.

Might give it a shot on mine too.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Mikemac

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mikemac »

I have the 2.8 1999 (T) Z3, I was told it will have the Double Vanos rather than single, which means I cant do this mod, can anyone else please confirm this? Did all 2.8's after 1998 have double Vanos? What the easiest way to check?

I want around 30 - 35 extra bhp, would this be acieved by colder induction, re-map and more free flowing exhausts? Is there an exhaust anyone can recommend? I like deep gargling exhausts, prices of full exhausts?

Sorry for all the questions :D

Thanks
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

Mikemac wrote: I like deep gargling exhausts, prices of full exhausts?
If you can take your silencer off your car and send it to me, I will open it up and perform some internal surgery on it for you to make it free flowing and with a better sound. The sound that you get from an exhaust is very much related to the engine size in the same way that double-basses give a rich, deep sound because they are much bigger than violins, so you have to be realistic with your expectations from the sound that you'll get from a 2.8 engine.
Mikemac

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mikemac »

Cheers Exdos, is there any implications of gutting the silencer, or is it literally just to get a better sound? I take it there isnt any performance gains from doing it? Shall I stick with the standard induction or shall I cut holes in the airbox?

Cheers mate.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Who is the infamous Ian ???????

Gazza.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

Mikemac wrote:Cheers Exdos, is there any implications of gutting the silencer, or is it literally just to get a better sound? I take it there isnt any performance gains from doing it? Shall I stick with the standard induction or shall I cut holes in the airbox?

Cheers mate.
The OEM silencers are a "reverse flow" type, which means that the exhaust gas has to take a 360 degree tour through the innerds of your silencer, but with a bit of judicious internal surgery the exhaust can be made to take a more direct route.

If the inlet pipe can be visually seen through the outlet pipe(s) then the silencers are just unpleasantly noisy, but if they can be made to take a 180 degree "straight through" path then flow of exhaust is improved and the sound is somewhat louder and sounds a little more pleasant without the boominess or "chavy" type of sound. A free-flowing exhaust should improve performance too.

If you cut holes in the air box, then make sure you cut just one and fit a sealed pipe to it, with the other end positioned to face forwards in the bumper region, so that you are getting air at ambient temperature.
Mikemac

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mikemac »

Thanks Exdos, you certainly know your stuff!! Not sure how Im going to be able to get you the silencer as I need the car to get to and from work. How long do you think it would take you to do if I sent it special delivery?

What size hole and pipe would you recommend for the air box?

Cheers again mate.
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

Mikemac wrote:Thanks Exdos, you certainly know your stuff!! Not sure how Im going to be able to get you the silencer as I need the car to get to and from work. How long do you think it would take you to do if I sent it special delivery?

What size hole and pipe would you recommend for the air box?

Cheers again mate.
I could prepare your silencer with a turnaround of, say, 3 days. BTW, I wouldn't be doing this for free.

A 2" flexible pipe would be fine. If you used a piece of round plastic drain-pipe to attach the flexible pipe to the airbox, you might have to heat it with a heatgun to make it more oval so that it can fit properly onto the airbox before the filter.
Mikemac

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mikemac »

Would there be any implications wit hregards to emissions or anything then?

Thats fine about paying for it mate, let me know how much you want to charge and we can discuss it via pm later. I have some ramps so I should be able to remove it myself, is it simply bolted on?

I will let you know if I can get it out to you a couple of days in advance, need to try and sort out transportation.

Pm me how much you want for doing this and I will be in touch again soon.

Ta :D
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

Mikemac wrote:Would there be any implications wit hregards to emissions or anything then?

Thats fine about paying for it mate, let me know how much you want to charge and we can discuss it via pm later. I have some ramps so I should be able to remove it myself, is it simply bolted on?

I will let you know if I can get it out to you a couple of days in advance, need to try and sort out transportation.

Pm me how much you want for doing this and I will be in touch again soon.

Ta :D
Whatever passes through the catalytic converters goes through the silencers unchanged. Therefore, the silencers have no effect on emissions.

There is no actual specification in the MOT regarding what is too loud other than it is at the discretion of the person doing the test. One adavantage of modifying an OEM silencer is that it can be done by opening the silencer on the upper surface, so the modification is not obvious and also the sound that you get after modifying is very nice.

I'll send you a PM with more info.
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

As Mrs Martian has put her foot down,re my purchase of a 3ltr Zed,i was wondering how i could squeeze a few more horses out of my 02 reg 2.2.
Does anyone know if this big manifold would be suitable for mine,or any other thoughts on how to achieve extra horses.
Thanks Maurice.
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

[quote="maurice the martian"]As Mrs Martian has put her foot down,re my purchase of a 3ltr Zed,i was wondering how i could squeeze a few more horses out of my 02 reg 2.2.

Go on a diet :lol:
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
reg_coop

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by reg_coop »

May i ask what the overall cost of the mod was as i'm verrrrry tempted
topfuelking

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by topfuelking »

around £300 when i did it
THANKS MARC

reg_coop

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by reg_coop »

topfuelking

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by topfuelking »

yes but that just one of the parts you need
THANKS MARC

reg_coop

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by reg_coop »

i gussed that, what else is required? in terms of fitting kit?
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

reg_coop wrote:i gussed that, what else is required? in terms of fitting kit?
Is your 2.8 the single or twin vanos?
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
reg_coop

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by reg_coop »

twin i think, although i could be wrong. My cars mid 99, i can check build date tomorrow
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

If its a twin vanos you will need an M54 325/330 inlet manifold and an M50 throttle body adaptor plate. You`ll be looking at around £200 if your doing it yourself.
Good mod but to get the best from it your car will need a custom remap afterwards. that can be around £400
reg_coop

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by reg_coop »

Yeah the maps the easy bit, but the big bore thing im not to sure on, £200 for parts is not unreasonable though
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Link to my thread, The jobs abit fiddly but not to bad, just need a good tool set. Im not a machanic but i managed it fine

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
Jays Zed

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Jays Zed »

I'm new to all this but get the jist of opening up the breathing side of things. Mine's a 2000 2.8 double vanos so would this be the right manifold to be installing? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-325i-CE-E46-M ... 2311b3ebe0 Sorry if the link doesn't work, somewhat new to all this!!! Think this could be the start of the "modding" phase!!!!!
Jay.
reg_coop

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by reg_coop »

Hi all, sorry to bring up an old thread.... and then steal it.
I was contenplating selling the Z, but i did not have the heart lol

So this mod is first on my list, i have 99 pre facelift 2.8 z3. Single vanos i believe?

Would these manifolds suit, is there any questions i should ask the seller before hand? as i'm looking to buy this week

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E36-325-M50-I ... 2c5df980ee

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-M50-inlet-Man ... 45fbc820d1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-e36-M50-Manif ... 1c1d4e6fdd

Any help welcome.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

thought you were selling reg coop!!!!??
i could tell you whats needed for the twin vanos but not the single im affraid..... total different parts....
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

thought you were selling reg coop!!!!??
i could tell you whats needed for the twin vanos but not the single im affraid..... total different parts....
Gixerthou

blank.gif

Post by Gixerthou »

Are you sure it's a single Vanos? Mine is a pre facelift with a twin Vanos engine.
reg_coop

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by reg_coop »

Z3cade wrote:thought you were selling reg coop!!!!??
Well there is a story behind that, I advertised my car for sale and two days later my water pump went and on the same day. The next day i recieved a call from a woman wanting to view the car. Which i couldn't do, i got the water pump replaced and never had the heart to call her back to view.
I was offered a modified mk 2 mr2 as a direct swap, which i wasn't interested in.
I took a notion for either a 318 or 320 coupe, so i found a garage with a lovly 318 and they offered a direct swap, but i wasnt sold on the smaller engine, bigger car and ony have four pots.
A friend of mine has a lovly 320 with the 2.2. So i had a go in that, lovly car very comfy but certainly did not pull like the 2.8. So after some proper driving in his coupe, we returned and then i took him a blast in my Z ........ And he told me to keep it lol
So pretty much i never had the heart to go through with it.

So i have fell back in love with my Z. This week i have.. Fitted new front shocks, new rear speakers, cleaned it within an inch of its life. tightened the roof, done the short shift mod which is out standing. A long with a few other wee jobs that were on my list.
The manifold was one i promised my self months ago, and since i've settled with the car...... Here i am :D

Gixerthou wrote:Are you sure it's a single Vanos? Mine is a pre facelift with a twin Vanos engine.
To be honest i'm not entirerly sure, how do i find out? And if it is twin, z3cade can you provide me with what i need and also if they are the correct manifolds?

Regards
Gixerthou

blank.gif

Post by Gixerthou »

Post a pic of your engine that's the easiest way.
reg_coop

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by reg_coop »

Excuse the dodgy picture it was pee'ing down.... How dirty is my engine bay lol next job.

Hope this helps.
Gixerthou

blank.gif

Post by Gixerthou »

Same as mine. That's a twin Vanos I think.
reg_coop

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by reg_coop »

Gixerthou wrote:Same as mine. That's a twin Vanos I think.
Could any one conifrm this?
If i do have twin vanos, would the ebay links i listed do the job as i i'm looking to bid?

Thanks.
reg_coop

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by reg_coop »

I checked my vin number. It says i have the m52/m52tu engine. Does that meen it is doube vanos?

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Hi reg_coop

I am as sure as I can be that you have a double vanos engine, the M52TU is for the engine with the technical update, i.e. Double Vanos.

The tell tale sign is the differance in covers at the front of the engine.

HTH

Double Vanos

Single Vanos

reg_coop

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by reg_coop »

Thank you very much for that.

you have all been very helpful.
Would any one like to take the plunge in offering advise on the ebay items i added as i am getting giddy at the thought of buying now lol

Thanks again.