BMW feedback on issues?

Discussion of anything to do with the BMW Car Club. Viewing and posting limited to Z Register members.
Ontiken

Z3 roadster 2.2i

BMW feedback on issues?

Post by Ontiken »

I'm not a member of the BMW car club,but I wonder if they get any feedback on common problems with cars from BMW itself. In particular has 'BMW' responded to the many of us who own Z3 models which 'clunk' at low speed in 1st and 2nd gear.There are threads on this topic on every site around the world that I have looked at so this is obviously a common problem .
Regards,
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: BMW feedback on issues?

Post by gookah »

BMW never admit to 'common problems'
Take you car into a dealers with a common-to-that-car problem and they will say its the first time they have come across it.
There is an element of 'never admit responsibility' with them.

However they usually just happen to have an upgraded part to change it with at your cost.
Z4 roof motors which are now sealed better, sticky steering columns with better heat resistance, alloy wheels which are now thicker, modified Mini convertible roof attachments, However they never had a problem with the old ones, ...

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

I think that's the case with all car manufacturers, I had no end of problems with a diesel Vauxhall Astra which went through EGR valves like there was no tomorrow. A quick search on any Vauxhall forum will prove that this is something which is a very common issue, but guess what? My local dealership in King's Lynn were adamant that they knew nothing of the sort..
They're all the same!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Every car (new or old) I've ever researched online for common faults appears to have had at least one - according to online feedback & forums. Bought a new rear wiper motor for my 4-year old Audi A3 recently (known Audi problem - water gets in) - the stockist told me he had sold hundreds over the last year alone :D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

1. The dreaded transmission "clunk"
2. Seat belt plastic guides - break regularly
3. Corner "ballast" weights in the rear bumper
4. boot light wiring loom
5. soft top micro switch
6. door mirror base corrosion
7. water ingress at the top corners of the windscreen / roof seal
8. Tramlining
9. diff whine
10. Throttle rubber boots
11. rear top strut mounts
12. seat bushes

etc etc etc.... :D
Last edited by Southernboy on Sun 10 May, 2015 09:04, edited 1 time in total.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

Southernboy wrote:1. The dreaded transmission "clunk"
2. Seat belt plastic guides - break regularly
3. Corner "ballast" weights in the rear bumper
4. boot light wiring loom
5. soft top micro switch
6. door mirror base corrosion
7. water ingress at the top corners of the windscreen / roof seal
8. Tramlining
9. diff whine
10. Throttle rubber boots
11. rear top strut mounts
12. set bushes

etc etc etc.... :D
The rubber throttle boots make me laugh, I think bmw used a special kind of biodegradable rubber that disintegrates after ten years to protect the planet! :lol:
Regards
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

10 years if you're lucky... I reckon the heat in the engine bay after turning off the motor is the main culprit responsible for damage to rubber components. I generally leave the hood up when I return from a run to allow the heat to escape unhindered. I have a garage, so for me it's not a problem to do this... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Southernboy wrote:10 years if you're lucky... I reckon the heat in the engine bay after turning off the motor is the main culprit responsible for damage to rubber components. I generally leave the hood up when I return from a run to allow the heat to escape unhindered. I have a garage, so for me it's not a problem to do this... :wink:
Yes, we have England... for us its not an issue either.... its -25!!
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal