Simota Induction Kit S50 Z3m Roadster

Repository of 'how to do' articles relating to the Z3 and M roadster/coupe
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Simota Induction Kit S50 Z3m Roadster

Post by Jonttt »

There are plenty of posts re the benefits (or not) of induction kits for the Z's. Either way one was on my list of must have for my new ///M. I looked at the GruppeM's but could not justify the cost so decided to try and get hold of the Simota which seemed very similar at 1/3 the price.

Aparently these are now hard to get hold of for the Z3m. I phoned Evolve (who helped develope the Z3m version) and to my surprise they said that they would be able to make me one up from 2 kits but would take them a day to get in one of the kits but would be posted in 2 days. I was happy with this as the guy realy seemed to know the kit inside out. I paid on credit card £265 incl delivery.
To be honest I was messed around by them a bit and after several phone calls over a week (after being told twice it had been posted) I finally got the kit today.

Kit arrived with no instuctions :head: but to be honest is pretty straightforward and I probably would not have read them properly anyway :wink: The kit is very well made and feels good quality, with a kevlar reinforced carbon fibre heatshield built in. The filter is a non oil type so does not affect the air sensor.

Literally 10 minutes to fit. The hardest part was deciding where to secure the breather pipe so it didn't knock about or touch anything which would be getting very hot. In the end was easy with a zip tie.

I took the Z out for a run, made sure was up to temp (nb definately have to remember to use brakes more to get rust off discs when car been standing for over a week BEFORE flooring it :dunce: ).

Induction kits have had mixed reviews and I was not expecting a noticable improvement in use but was expecting a nice induction noise.

Well I have to say I was extremely surprised. The car definately "breaths" and revs more freely right across the range. There was a definate extra "eagerness" by the car to push you right in the back and the noise was ohhhhh so addictive. This car never ceases to bring a big grin to my face :D

I must temper this with a note that I have only done 300 miles in the car since I got it and it does seem to be driving better each time I give it a blast. I definately think that the previous owner who had it for 3 years never really pushed the revs and the car needs a few good runs.

But having said that this mod has really surprised me.

I have posted pics below because in my research there are very few of the actual kit itself and I could find non of an install. This is probably becuase it is a very quick and easy install but I think pics show just how easy (especially to someone who would not normally attempt any sort of mod).

The kit, induction filter plus small breather filter

You can see the blue oilless filter inside the heat shield

Existing Filter box on S50 engine has just 2 screws to undo

Once the 2 screws are removed the unit can be "lifted" up to gain access to the breather hose which is connected to the bottom. nb on mine I did not have to unscrew the retaining band as it just "pulled" out with a little but of encouragement (saved me trying to get at the screw :wink: ).

The original unit was then removed

The new unit simply pushed on and the retaining band was secured. The unit is a superb fit. Needed some encouragement but only what you would expect to get such a nice fit. I secured the breather nose filter using a zip tie so it would not knock against the original heat shield (nb. this was not supplied but I had some anyway)

You can really see how good a fit the unit is here to the air intake

I very pleased to say the least :D
Z3M Jason

M coupe S50

Post by Z3M Jason »

Jontt,
You did not metion whether or not you got Evolve to do a remap of the ecu to suit? You should to alter fuelling etc to accomodate the extra air flow. I think it would be fair to say that these engines respond well to a remap and simota etc, better still when complimented by an exhaust. Not sure without remap whether you get too much in the way of a gain at all, except clearly a fruity induction note!!!
Jason
Z3M Coupe:- MAC Motoren Airbox, MAF Removed, Prospeed Full system with race cats, Full Dyno setup & Live Remap, 18" BBS LM's,
AC Schnitzer Race Coilovers, H&R Anti Roll Bars + Drop Links, Recaro Pole Position seats, Sparco Steering Wheel, Strut Brace, Porsche Calipers/CSL disc Conversion + Custom made rear discs, Braided Lines, 3.46 Hawthorn Motorsport 40% LSD diff and Digital Racelogic TC (To follow).
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Well I have booked my ///M in for a remap with the Evolve guys next Bank Holiday Saturday :D (bonus gives me a great excuse to spend a day driving the Z over to Luton) :drive

If your after these kits I would contact Evolve direct. Talking to them they will start to stock them again if the demand is back. I'm sure if someone started a thread and you put in an order for X you could agree a price discount with them. (Sorry I have mine so no real incentive for me to do this). Worth talking to them to understand order quantities needed and prices eg if order 5, 10 etc.....

Sorry I'm not sure about non ///M engines / options.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

Excuse my ignorance, but, what's the little filter for?
押忍!闘え!応援団
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

PhoenixCoupe wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but, what's the little filter for?
The standard airbox has a breather pipe connected to the bottom. It does not fit to the induction kit so you need a small filter (comes as part of the kit) connected to the breather pipe to make sure no "dirty" air gets in there. :rtm:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster