Clear Perspex Wind Deflector Install

Repository of 'how to do' articles relating to the Z3 and M roadster/coupe
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Clear Perspex Wind Deflector Install

Post by Jonttt »

One of the things that "bugged" me about my Z3 is the OEM wind deflector. Whilst being a beneficial fitment to reduce turbulance in the cabin with the roof down it has the major disadvantage of significantly reducting rear visability.

A number of people with Chrome rollover bars have sourced "clear" wind deflectors / made their own as the OEM ones also obscure the chrome hoops due to the way they are fitted. So I knew there was a solution out there and started to source a something for myself.

I found a new product advertised on eBay and thought it was worth some investigation. I was not interested in entering an eBay "lottery" and decided to contact the company selling direct.

Turns out its run by a keen Z3 owner (not a member on here though) who has an engineering background. It was obvious talking to him (for 90 minutes !!!) that he is really passionate about his products and keen to get feedback and views on them.

I agreed to purchase one from him in a state of finish that would allow me to experiment with the finish /visuals of the product and write a review on here giving an honest review of my thoughts (good or bad).

The item was duly dispatched in what I can only describe as very robust packaging (if you planning to pick up for the post office in your Z be prepared for roof down :wink: )

The screen itself still has its protective film. It is usually supplied with a black edging which I had asked not to be glued so that I could try fitment with / without an edging

Very clear and professional installation instructions were supplied

Installation is a doddle and consists of four "velcro" strabs of very good quality.

Firstly I tried installation without the black edging....

and then with the black edging

In the end I decided that I (slightly) preferred it fitted with the black edging but others may have a different view (I think it gives it a more finished look).

I road tested and obviously the improvement in rear vision is vast, its as though nothing is there. I did not notice any difference to the OEM in terms of increased turbulance and to all intents and purposes gives the same result as the OEM windbreaker.

A couple of points to note. This is fixed in place purely by the 4 straps and so can be easily and quickly removed but there seems no reason to remove even with the roof up as it does not obscure vision at all. At speed (I tested up to 120MPH, private road :wink: ) there is some vibration in the middle at the bottom but no noise and I may not have noticed had the seller not told me about it. He did supply an extra piece of "guttering" which could be taped to the top of the storage lid for the screen to slot into giving more support but I have not bothered with this as I don't feel its needed.
The storage lid cannot be opened with the screen in place (I never use mine anyway so no issue for me).

In summary the unit is very well made and has a nice "weight" and great finish to it to feel very robust. The fit is perfect and I think the quality of the straps and the neat way they fit does not detract from the appearance.

I am really pleased with the results.

I purchased the item from a really great guy (Simon Whines) who I have no relationship with at all. If you looking for this type of thing I have no hesitation in recommending and it would be well worth you giving him a call to discuss your requirements. He has had some slightly tinted ones manufactured as well.

I'm not sure if they will fit Chrome Hoops of a slightly different shape than OEM as they are such a good OEM fit but talking to Simon he would be more than willing to modify.

Please give your thoughts / suggestions as I know Simon will take them on board.

He has set up the following website since I bought this

http://www.justroadster.com/index.html

The price is £80 (clear) £90 tinted + delivery (I think £10).

I'm sure he would be up for some sort of group discount if a few of you are interested :wink:
paulrichardson10

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by paulrichardson10 »

I read that they are also going to produce one for the models without the roll bars, I emailed him asking about it but have not as yet received a reply :(
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Paul

I'm surprised he has not got striaght back to you, was very ggod with me, in fact he has emailed me today to see how I got on the it.

I did not deal with the new website as he had not got it set up until late last week so maybe teething problems ?

I have sent him a link to this post so hopefully he can sort out :rtm:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
BATTERZEE

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BATTERZEE »

Had seen these a while ago (on Ebay I think) and thought how much better they looked than the oem. FWIW I agree that the edging finishes it off nicely.

Unfortunately, no good for me as I use the storage box and would prefer to open the lid without having to remove the deflector.

However cant see why it cant be mounted on the back side of the hoops with a few mods. Not sure if velcro would be sufficient so might need more permanent and stronger fixing.

Wonder if he is interested in making more variants?
ImageImage
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Jonttt - you gotta Ferrari outside - who's bothered about a bit of perspex ? :bawl:
Image :devil:

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

Hi Guys, this is Simon Whines, now a member of the zroaster forum. Looking forward to chatting to you about the great Z3. If I can help you with anything to do with the wind deflector please let me know your thoughts. 8-)
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

The quality,fit and machining look excellent. Looks better with the trim fitted.

I've had a clear deflector since fitting chrome hoops and fit mine to the front of the hoops, my only criticism is the solid deflector creates a vortex if you have the windows up and any paper flies around the car :lol:

BTW, you need to reduce the size of your pics on Photobucket :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
calbens

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by calbens »

It looks great and just to be awkward I prefer it without the edging :wink:

So what price could we expect to pay for a group buy???

Nowt like cutting to the chase! :lol:

Bex :D
paulrichardson10

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by paulrichardson10 »

007 wrote:Hi Guys, this is Simon Whines, now a member of the zroaster forum. Looking forward to chatting to you about the great Z3. If I can help you with anything to do with the wind deflector please let me know your thoughts. 8-)
Hi Simon, any update on the non roll bar version please?Thanks :)

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

Hi Paul, I've sent you a pm but for everybody else, this particular job is fairly involved and will need more time. We want to keep the professinal standard up! Will keep you posted.

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

Group Purchase? Well that depends on how many of you are interested. :P
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Looks like a quality product. Nice work indeed!

I currently have a clear wind deflector, but its a bit old and scratched now so I will be looking at a replacement. Since I have the Schnitzer roll hoops, the standard screen is not as good a fit.

If I provided a template, could a bespoke one be cut at reasonable cost?

BTW, I also mount my deflector on the back of the hoops to gain access to the storage box. This also helpe keep the deflector in place at high speed as for sone reason the wind seems to blow it forwards. The oddities of aerodynamics eh!

Si.
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Looks the part and loving the black trim. I have a non oem hoops with centre bar but think this should fit (have black oem on at the moment)
Just wondering if u can supply this with the clear velcro straps for stainless and chrome hoops?
Adam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Adam »

Having had a good look at your site and hearing thoughts on here...roll on payday. I have just got to decide, tinted or clear. Cant really tell on the site how much of a tint it is. mmm decisions.

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

I could supply a bespoke wind deflector from a template but it might be best to contact me via my web site using the email on the site. I don’t want to upset the guys that run the forum!! :oops:

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

Looking into the problem of clear velcro straps for stainless and chrome hoops, not easy to find a solution to this but as I said im looking in to it for you guys. :)

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

Adam if you like i could send you a sample of the tint this might make your life a little easier. :shock:

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 007 »

Adam if you like i could send you a sample of the tint this might make your life a little easier. :shock:
Adam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Adam »

A sample of the tint would be awesome. I will pm you my details. I would rather know then take the conservative route and get the clear only to wonder "should I of had the tint"

Adam.
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

I would also be interested but only if it can be modified to fit to the back of the hoops so that I can continue to use the storage box. If it can be done without any modification, then even better - Simon please advise.

Cheers
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

I am interested in this, but will it fit my hoops as they are a very different shape to standard?

Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi