Z3 cruise control retrofit

Repository of 'how to do' articles relating to the Z3 and M roadster/coupe
estocks

Not specified

Z3 cruise control retrofit

Post by estocks »

Hello
I'm retrofitting cruise to my 1997 2.8 M52.

The parts; total cost is £217.02
CONTROL UNIT F CRUISE CONTROL (65711387625) £22.29 (eBay)
CRUISE CONTROL ACTUATOR (65718369027) £121.71 (BMW)
BRACKET F CRUISE CONTROL MOTOR OPERATOR (41148401744) £2.05
HEX NUT WITH PLATE (65718372353) £0.13 x3
BOWDEN CABLE F CRUISE CONTROL (65718380083) £9.26
BEARING ACCELATOR BOWDEN CABLE SCHWARZ (13541747519) £0.25
CLUTCH SWITCH 2 POL. (61318360421) £7.17
CRUISE CONTROL SWITCH (61318360926) £50.64 (BMW)
BUTTON FOR CRUISE CONTROL SWITCH (61311390968) £2.73

Buy 14 screw caps, tan pre 09/1997 is 51168194788 £0.10each. Disconnect the battery. Drink rapidly cooling tea while the airbags discharge.

Fitting:
Disconnect the battery. Drink rapidly cooling tea while the airbags discharge.
1/ The brain
This goes in behind the glovebox (removal here http://www.mz3.net/articles/170.html) I recomend using needle nose pliers to rip off the caps. You *will* damage the dash trying to lever them off with a screwdriver.
2/The clutch switch
Disassemble the drivers side trim by removing the kickplate trim and 6 trim screws (much like the glovebox). (Grease sqeaky clutch pedal with spray lithium grease). Pull the red part to the front and depress the clutch. Insert into the square hole, which is keyed so it goes in 1 way only. Release the clutch pedal gently the red bit locks the switch in place with a crunch. Plug in the switch.
More soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by estocks on Sun 23 Apr, 2006 10:22, edited 2 times in total.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

Post by Paul.Stuhlfelder »

Excellent, I love a good photographed run-through :)

I'm considering Cruise Control on the ///M, as it can be a pain in the male "must go faster" gene to keep the car steady sometimes :D
Israel pulls out of Gaza Strip, Gaza not Pregnant!
636mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 636mick »

So im guessing here but is that the easy bit out of the way!! :D :D

Mick
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

636mick wrote:So im guessing here but is that the easy bit out of the way!! :D :D

Mick
:lol: Tis indeed, for example notice the stalk didn't go in at the same time as the clutch switch :roll: . Also note the actuator I shipped in from Germany was not the one advertised and I can't find where the bracket fits. :head: I'm fitting a ECIS cold air intake and cleaning the ICV this or next weekend. I have a strut brace coming from Cosmo in Canada. I'll do it all in one go if I can otherwise the jobs will get on top of me. :dunce:

So does anyone have photos of the M52 cruise control actuator in situ? It bolts onto the left wing somewhere. (part 07 in this diagram)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Today I attached the bowden cable. I first inserted the rubber grommet then screwed in the thumb control for tightening. Screw it all the way in. The cable wraps around and goes into a hook, it's identical to the accelerator cable thats there already. Check if you can do that blind before starting if you wish not to dismantle the throttle body.
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

The bracket in the drawing above should already be fitted to the car at the rear of the strut tower, as its welded.
If you look at the picture of my retrofit cruise control on my web site, the vacuum actuator I fitted is actually mounted on that bracket. Maybe the bracket is not fitted to the 2.8 like it is on the M. But if the wiring is in the car then I would have expected the bracket to be there.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Last edited by estocks on Sun 19 Mar, 2006 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I found a few photos of Z3 engine bays on Google Images which indicated the location of the actuator. I will be finding an alternative mount as mine does not have any fixings for actuator bracket :bawl: The cable isn't very long as can be seen :bawl:
Sniff

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Sniff »

Funny what people see as essentials. I have cruise control on my 2002 3.0i, and I think I've used it once in the 8 months since I bought the car (and that was only to see if it worked). A fairly pointless addition in my view, but each to his own eh? :P :wink:
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Cruise is to use an English term, a 'nice to have' for me, but people might use this diary.
636mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 636mick »

As my 2.0 has a similar engine etc as a 2.8 could i emulate you and fit cruise to the Z? Would the wiring/brackets etc already be there, anyone?

Mick
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

Estocks
Finding my web site is easy when you look below my post and press the www button. :head: :head: :head:

636mick

On the M I found all the wiring in the loom, the bracket was also fitted. The main reason I went to a different type of cruise is because I could not find a supplier for one of the BMW parts. I'm not sure if the wiring would be on your 2.0, the best place to look would be behind the glove box and see if the multi connector is there.

Its the large blue multi plug indicated by the white arrow in the picture below. If this is there ( could be taped behind all the boxes and brackets) then your car will more than likely have the rest of the wiring, all you would need are the rest of the cruise parts estocks has listed above, if they are available still.
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Tony, scotch locks Noooooooooo. In 15 years fitting car audio and security I learnt never to trust them things :!: certainly not on the thin wiring used on cars today, get the soldering iron out :D

Steve 8-)
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I fitted the bracket using zipties. It's a bodge. My reasoning was that manufactures secure many things with zipties and TBH I didn't want to drill into the car on the arch. :head:
I put all the zipties on loosely. I released the bowden at the engine end and joined it to the actuator, then rejoined the bowden - because that was the only way to get the centre cable fitted at both ends. I fitted the three actuator nuts loosely. I tightened the zipties with pliers and tightened the three nuts. I added some foam to the bodywork preventing scratches where the bracket met the wing.

Note realoem has the wrong part number for the switch. :bawl: Realoem has the 2*4 pin e36 part. I needed the 1*6 pin part an you should check which connector you have, the 1*6 is shown below. :rtm:

I used a craft knife to remove a cutout from the steering column cowel for the new stalk to pass through. :nerd:

I connected all the wiring and took up the slack on the bowden before going for a test drive, it worked very well :mrgreen: :D , and reassembly.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Here are two reference photos.
1/ The 1*6 switch
2/ An interface which my model did not need but some model years might. To determine whether you need it look for the 1*6 connector on the car. If you should find it missing this interface can plug in to a small 3 way plug which should be on the right on the EWS loom near to the drivers air vent and demister.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

It has been brought to my attention that cars post 99 with the M52TU engine need less parts than my 1997 M52. The M52TU apparently is fitted with a cable drive accelerator, but the throttle body can be overidden by a motor for the ASC/Cruise control. Cars with the old system will have two throttle bodies like this:
(ASC throttle body in front of regular throttle body)
And the throttle body will have an attachment for the cruise control bowden like this:

(red circle marked grease main throttle cable, you can see the cruise bowden below the mian throttle)

Cars with the combined motor cable arrangement I think look like this, a whacking motor is bolted to the TB.

Those with the motor assist only need 65718380054 (3 wire to 6 pin interface) and 61318360926 (cruise control stalk).
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

Estocks is right about fitting cruise control to an M52TU and I’d like to thank him for his advice and for supplying the interface. The BMW parts list & Real OEM are wrong as they treat the M52TU as an M52 and list all the cruise parts for an M52 – and there are lots of expensive parts! My BMW dealer also says that as he has no help sheet, the fitting probably can’t be done on an M52TU. All you need are the 2 parts Estocks lists (the clutch switch 61318360421 you also need is probably already fitted, mine was. Having just fitted the bits to our 2.0, it works perfectly and just as it says in the handbook.
The lower steering column cowl has to be removed to expose the slot into which the cruise switch slides, which is just below the wiper switch. This cowl then needs to have a small rectangle of plastic cut out for the switch stalk (the part to cut out is clearly marked on the inside of the cowl). The interface has the plug from the cruise switch plugged into it at one end and then the small, white 3 pin plug which is taped up under the dashboard is plugged in at the other end. The interface clips up onto the plastic holder attached to the steering column and that is it! Put the cowl and under-dash panels back and you are ready to go. I guess it takes about 90 minutes and the longest part is cutting the cowl.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Glad you got it sorted. Cruise and heated seats are my favourite options 8-)
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Add that to my list of mod's to do :)
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

I thought that I would add a few photos of the retrofit that might help to explain my previous post a bit more clearly:

The slot to take the cruise control switch

The switch in the slot

The cowl showing the piece to be cut out

The cowl after the piece has been removed

All fitted back together!

The interface connected to the cruise switch (large white plug) and the loom (small white 3 pin plug)
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

All the recent activity regarding cruise control has whetted my appetite again :P
I accept it's a nicety but I've got so used to it while driving my E39, I really miss it in the Z3 :cry:
It would be so nice to be able to relax the right foot during those inevitable long distance motorway and dual carriageway runs....

So I've done some digging on OEMand come up with this list:
  • 1 CONTROL UNIT F CRUISE CONTROL 1 65711387625 $651.79
    3 CRUISE CONTROL ACTUATOR 1 65718369027 $320.12
    4 BRACKET F CRUISE CONTROL SERVOMOTOR 1 41148401744 $5.53
    6 Hex nut with plate M5 3 65718372353 $0.57
    7 BOWDEN CABLE F CRUISE CONTROL 1 65718380083 $25.07
    8 BEARING ACCELERATOR BOWDEN CABLE SCHWARZ 1 13541747519 $0.58
    12 CLUTCH SWITCH For vehicles with Automatic transmission = No 2 POL. 1 61318360421 $73.75
    13 Cruise control switch 1 61318360926 $97.81
    14 BUTTON FOR CRUISE CONTROL SWITCH (ENGLISH) 1 61311390968 $6.22
    Total $1181.44
estocks and others have done some comprehensive write-upsfor the M54 2.8 engine and it looks reasonably straightforward.
Before I pursue this further I'd like to know:
  • Have I missed anything?
    Has anyone ever attempted this on the M54 2.2 engine?
    Is it going to be so very different from the M52?
    Where is the best place to source the parts and get updated prices?
    What about non-OEM?
    Lastly (and most importantly), how do I convince SWMBO that it needs to be fitted to her car :roll:
Image :devil:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Titan wrote:.......Lastly (and most importantly), how do I convince SWMBO that it needs to be fitted to her car :roll:
Don't tell her, she will never notice the new lever and when she asks what your doing just say you dropped a £1 and are looking for it :D
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

If the M54 engine if "fly by wire", I don't think that you need the list of bits you quoted. You might only need the cruse switch and perhaps the interface. The throttle housing (13547502444) looks to be electronically controlled to judge by the RealOEM picture and if so, you are one step up from our M52TU which is a hybrid system.
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

My colume switch arrived this morning (won on E-bay for £12) so just got to get the interface, what sort of prices have people got from the dealer?, I converted the doller price on realOEM to £60 just to check my dealer is'nt over charging :o
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

You can check the UK prices at cooper BMW parts.
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

estocks wrote:You can check the UK prices at cooper BMW parts.
Thanks, thats a useful link, I'll check with my local dealer tomorrow.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual