BMW Apprentice Technician Assessment? Help/advice

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Miss M

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by Miss M »

Hi Adam

I wish I'd seen this thread sooner but it looks like you got good advice and you put a lot of effort into your work experience. Don't be disheartened that you didn't get this job, I work in recruitment and I see a lot of really great people who don't get the job first time around for a variety of reasons, most of which have nothing to do with their skills. Keep at it, apply to different dealers directly and use your work experience as a selling point, use the fact that you got through the tests and assessment and were one of a small number selected from such a large pool. Also, ask the dealer for feedback on what areas they feel you can improve in and if you worked with some technicians it could be worth asking them for a letter of recommendation too if they're comfortable doing that? Send copies with your CV and always follow up your application with a call, being persistent always pays!

If you want me to have a look at your CV, just PM it to me and I'll be happy to give you a hand with it. It's great to see someone so determined about a career - I wish there were more people like it!

Regards
Moshy
Phil

M roadster S54

So sorry for you.

Post by Phil »

Like Simon, for some reason I've not watched this thread at all but it is by far and away the most interesting on the board for ages.
Just read it from start to finish and your reports were excellent.
Where do you live - I cant see any indication on your profile?
Noticed your request for a ride in a later M Roadster - I'll happily take you out for a spin - hence the question about your location.
Are you going to Gaydon - BMWCC event in August?
Let me know.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Adam

Judging from the detailed & concise way here that you documented your work experience, which by the way makes very interesting reading & also from the enthusiasm you have shown, I think they made a mistake not employing you.

Some years ago I applied to STC who were advertising for an electonics engineer. Didn't get the job on the basis of lack of experience. I re applied 12 months later after regaining more experience & they offered me the job. I think partly on the basis of the determination I demonstrated to them by applying for a second time.

From my experience there aren’t enough apprenticeship places. My son has given up the idea of becoming a carpentry apprentice as there are so few places or employers offering places & the training schemes are so complicated with so many different government bodies that potentially sponsor them, it’s hard to know where to start. All rather demoralising. However he is instead going to college to do a cabinet making course in London starting in Sept
I think the government need to take some rap for the situation. They seem overly keen on everyone getting degrees rather than learning practical skills !

Have you considered:-
A) Further college studies.
B) Re applying to BMW next year.
C) Applying to other car manufacturers dealers for an apprenticeship.

Just relating my experiences. No doubt Moshy will know a lot more.
Note especially Gary's wise words - "Don't fully believe the dealership, Contact the career section of BMW's website."
The dealer possibly isn't even part of BMW UK & is instead merely just a franchise.

Good luck.
Last edited by Robin on Mon 12 Jul, 2004 14:44, edited 2 times in total.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
ADD

blank.gif

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for their comments/advice. I’m not feeling as gutted as before and as they say ‘what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger’.

I phoned the dealer today and asked the service manger for the contact number for the man from BMW GB. I was told they can’t give out mobile numbers, so she said she would phone him and ask if it’s ok. If I don’t hear back by tomorrow, I will phone BMW GB and track the person down myself.

I asked if I could speak to the technician I assisted for my weeks work experience but he was out on a job at the time but she would get him to give me a called back. I want to speak to him to ask him for a letter of recommendation.

I asked the service manager if there was anything I could improve/do differently as why I didn’t get the position?
She said there wasn’t anything I could improve on. Because they had been very impressed by the high standard of candidates for the position it made the selection process far more difficult than in previous years.
I asked if the person who got the position did better than me during their week’s work experience?
She said the final decision didn’t come down to the week’s work experience but it came down to the scores on the assessment. The person, who got the position, scored a few more marks than me, so he got it.

Once I have spoken to the man from BMW GB. I’m going to write to the ten nearest dealers telling them my story, work experience, CV, (hopefully a letter of recommendation) & that I would be more that happy to do another weeks work experience for them if they wanted etc

Hopefully one of the dealers maybe interested in me.

Adam
p.s. I would like to go to the Gaydon BMWCC event in August if some would offer me a lift there?
I have been offered a lift by one person, but they live a little bit of a distance from me (I live in the Hampshire/Wiltshire area).
If you would like to give me a lift, could you PM me, with your location and I’ll go with the person nearest to me.
It would be fantastic to go there in a M Roadster for the experience!
Also it would be great to meet all of you, in person.
Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Neal(2.8Roadster) »

I will Echo what all the others have already said, that its a real shame this one didnt work out for you. Although there are loads of other Dealers out there who I am sure would be glad to give you a chance to prove yourself.

Its a matter of sticking to it and getting stronger from your experience. It must have been a tough decision for them to make, but you can gain from the whole experience I am sure. You are right to be gutted, but once thats passed a bit, dust yourself off and get going again.

I would include a link to this thread with any application to other dealerships, I dont see how they can fail to be impressed by the way you learned from the experience, and you commitment and enthusiasm.

Good luck for the future, whatever you decide to do I am sure you will go far.
Neal Glover

Email : nealglover@Gmail.com
Phil

M roadster S54

M Ride

Post by Phil »

If you get to Gaydon in a non M but want a ride in an M I'll take you for a spin. Gaydon area is my patch and I'm arranging the routes for the off site drives so I know all the good roads.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

Adam
I will be going to Beaulieu on Sunday morning 18th July, and also to Ferndown in Dorset on Sunday 25th July, you are welcome to come to one of those with me if you wish. I would be travelling along the A27/M27 to get to both venues. Let me know if you are able to get to a suitable pick up point etc.
ADD

blank.gif

Things are starting to look better...

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

The technician I assisted, phone me back. We had a quick chat, I said that I was gutted that I didn’t get the position and he couldn’t understand it. The technician had me for a whole week for the work experience but only had the second person for a day and a half (because the technician went on holiday) and he didn’t even see the third person.
The technician was more than happy to write me a letter of recommendation.

Also the man from BMW GB phoned me, we had a very good chat. He asked me how far I was willing to travel, I said about 40-45miles.
He was thinking off the top of his head, which dealers in my area that may have a placement, he thought about 3 maybe looking/have placements. He said leave it with him and he would get back to me by Wednesday at the latest.
I ask if I would have to do the assessment again for a placement at another dealership and he said there’s no need for me to do it again. I also asked if I wanted to write to any dealerships if it was ok to put his name down, so they could find out my assessment scores, that was fine as all the dealerships knew who he was.
I also mentioned that I asked for a letter of recommendation from the technician I assisted and he thought that was a great idea (all credit/thanks to Miss Moshy for that one).

I asked if a ‘certain’ dealership would be looking and he did mention that they maybe looking. This ‘certain’ dealership I would really really really want to work for, as I think it’s the best one I know.

Adam
Last edited by ADD on Mon 12 Jul, 2004 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
ADD

blank.gif

Post by ADD »

TonyCal wrote:Adam
I will be going to Beaulieu on Sunday morning 18th July, and also to Ferndown in Dorset on Sunday 25th July, you are welcome to come to one of those with me if you wish. I would be travelling along the A27/M27 to get to both venues. Let me know if you are able to get to a suitable pick up point etc.
Thank you, I will take you up on your offer as I should be able to come to the one on Sunday the 25th.
I'll send you a PM for a pickup point(I'll have to look into this).
Giles

Not specified

Re: Things are starting to look better...

Post by Giles »

ADD wrote:
...he couldn’t understand it....The technician was more than happy to write me a letter of recommendation.
I wonder whether this thread has become more 'public' than we realise hence odd recruitment decisions? This wouldn't surprise me in the least :roll:

Stick to your guns Adam and good luck with your endeavors in whatever direction.
Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

I would think if I was an empoyer and I 'stumbled' accross this thread I would be impressed more than anything that a potential employee was this keen to get on.

things are looking up already by the sound of things mate !
Neal Glover

Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

Neal(2.8Roadster) wrote:I would think if I was an employer and I 'stumbled' across this thread I would be impressed more than anything that a potential employee was this keen to get on.
Yes you make a fair point Neal, however I feel that higher on BMW's agenda might be a fear that too many 'trade secrets' might be given away were they to employ someone who plays an active part on this board (and hats off to you for doing this Adam, you know that many people have found this thread the most enthralling for some time)

You only need to read some of the frustrations that posters have had with their local dealerships to endorse that fact that sadly service is not top priority, money is :roll: :head:

Anyhow this is all conjecture on my part - past experience of BMW service suggests they don't know what the Internet is, because surely if they knew that their incompetence was discussed openly on this board and others they would get their act together :roll:
Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

I didnt think of it like that actually Giles, you could well be right on that.
although I dont think they know what the internet is like you said.

( My local service manager doesnt at least, he said he had never heard of the 'Z3 seat rocking problem' before :lol: )

Try the 'feeling lucky' button on google with 'Z3 seat rocking' its clear he has never bothered looking for it !

I really would like to think that nobody would knock back an Honest hard working fella for a job on that basis, but it wouldnt be the first time I have been shocked by a companies 'Hiring and Firing' policy.
Neal Glover

Jules75

Z4 M roadster

Post by Jules75 »

What a fascinating thread. It's only been brought to my attention. It was like reading a good book.

Thanks Adam for sharing your experiences (good and bad) with us. I really admire your attitude and dedication. I wish you all the best for the future, and I'm sure you'll get that position very soon. You have the right attitude, and to me, that is the half the battle.

Please keep us all posted on your progress. :D
Hobbe Z4

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Hobbe Z4 »

What a great thread and lad !
Best wishes Adam, I'm sure it will have a happy ending.
ADD

blank.gif

Post by ADD »

Giles wrote:
Neal(2.8Roadster) wrote:I would think if I was an employer and I 'stumbled' across this thread I would be impressed more than anything that a potential employee was this keen to get on.
Yes you make a fair point Neal, however I feel that higher on BMW's agenda might be a fear that too many 'trade secrets' might be given away were they to employ someone who plays an active part on this board (and hats off to you for doing this Adam, you know that many people have found this thread the most enthralling for some time)
I know that the local BMW dealership have not stumbled across this thread.
Even if they have, I haven’t given away any trade secrets. The only bad thing I’ve said (in my opinion) that I didn’t think much of the people skills at the management level.
(I’ve never given the location of the dealership away, so even if I have put people off going to this dealership they wouldn’t know if it was their local one or not. So the dealer hasn’t lost any trade)

If they wanted me to work for them, I would have thought they would tell me that I couldn’t post on the forums (which wouldn’t be a problem) rather than not employing me.

Adam
Last edited by ADD on Tue 13 Jul, 2004 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

To clarify - Hats off to you Adam for playing an active part on this board and sharing your experiences, NOT for giving away trade secrets - which you certainly haven't!
Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

Add,

I think Giles having a sly dig at the sometimes poor service that people recieve from dealerships, possible overpricing of work, poor quality work etc. and the fact that the less scrupulous dealers might want to keep a lid on things like this.

I am sure he wasnt implying that your success or otherwise would be seriously affected by posting to boards like this.

I think that any dealership you apply to will be foolish not to employ someone with the level of enthusiasm you have shown. If you fancy moving to York I would certainly put in a good word for you at my Local main Dealer !!!

I would certainly feel a lot better about taking my car to them, if I knew someone who cared about what he was doing was working on it anyway !!
Neal Glover

Paul R

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Paul R »

ADD
What a brilliant 'diary story'............Giles has posted the link onto Z4um........and your story makes fascinating reading.........hope everything works out for you and you get your Dream Job ......... a guy with your determination will allways get what he wants..... :D
johnmckenzie

Porsche

Post by johnmckenzie »

ADD, Good luck to you. You have exactly the attitude that should be rewarded - it's not that common an attitude nowadays.

Best of luck, mate.
ADD

blank.gif

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

I spoke to the man from BMW GB today, he said that the :D ‘certain’ :D dealership is looking for an apprentice. The dealer is having candidates taking the assessment next week, which I will not need to do. He said write to the dealer (including his name somewhere).

I now have a new and improved covering letter and CV with the help from Miss M.
I would just like to say a big thanks and that I really appreciate her help and time :!:

Just need to get my letter of recommendation from the Technician and then everything will be sent off.

Thanks again to all for their comments and support.

Adam
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Fingers Crossed for you Adam

Post by stu »

:wink:
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

Excellent news Adam.
Fingers crossed here too.
ADD

blank.gif

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

The Technician phoned me today to tell me than I could pick up my letter of recommendation on Monday morning.

Adam
Last edited by ADD on Wed 06 Apr, 2005 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

M roadster S54

Fingers and toes crossed!

Post by Phil »

Keep us posted and good luck.

garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

ADD wrote:The technician thought it was a complete waste of time having anyone in for the work experience as the dealership had already made their choice.
Sorry to burst any bubbles but this is the way it is, how many of us have heard " you've got the job, come to the interview as we have to be seen going through the motions"?? I'm sure we all have. :|

Adam, best of luck and I wish you every success in the future. One door closes and another opens..
ADD

blank.gif

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

Last Monday I sent off my CV etc to 4 dealers, dealer ‘1’ has just taken an apprentice and dealer ‘2’ has just taken 3 apprentices. They both seemed interested and wished me luck. Both dealers would be looking for another apprentice in a years time, so if I can’t find a position soon I will wait and apply then.

I phoned dealer ‘3’ to see if they had received my CV but the service manager was out. So I’m waiting for a phone call back.

I phoned the ‘certain’ dealer today to make sure they had received my CV, which the service manager had. He explained that candidates had just taken the assessment on Friday and was waiting for the results. He was going to phone me after he had them to arrange an interview. As I was speaking to him then, he asked if I could come in this week. So I have an interview this Thursday afternoon :D (a day after my birthday).

Yesterday I was luckily enough to be taken to the BMWCCGB Wessex region Concours event by TonyCal in his M Roadster! On the way to the event the hood was up, I was impressed with the low level of noise when cruising around 80+. The ride was pleasant, the seats were comfortable and held you well. I was impressed with the pulling power of the engine in third gear from 30mph all the way to 106 (but I thought I read somewhere the M Roadster did 115 in third?).
When we left the event with the hood down, Tony did a wicked power-slide which created a massive simile on my face! The sound of the engine and exhaust is gorgeous. On the way back there was a Ferrari F40 two cars in front of us on a dual carriageway, I was hoping we may have a little race but the Ferrari turned off (he must have seen the M Roadster and chickened out…LOL)

The event itself was good, there was a wide range of BMWs, everyone there was friendly (also met Nick from this forum) and I watch the F1 there too!

Just like to say thanks again to Tony.

Adam
ADD

blank.gif

Re: M Ride

Post by ADD »

Phil wrote:If you get to Gaydon in a non M but want a ride in an M I'll take you for a spin. Gaydon area is my patch and I'm arranging the routes for the off site drives so I know all the good roads.
I am hopefully going to the Gaydon event and would love to go for a spin in a S54 M Roadster to see the differences between two models. So Phil I will take you up on your offer thanks(as you have a S54).
Also, out of interest a spin in a M Coupe would be cool.
Nick

Porsche

Wessex Concours

Post by Nick »

Hi Adam,

Happy Birthday for Wednesday and good luck with the interview, it was great to meet up and I hope you can make it to some other Zed events, there are usually spare seats unless it is cross channel when the room is often taken with a little bit of wine shopping. :D

Nick
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

I think we're going to Gaydon Adam - do you fancy a spin in a CSL?

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Giles....

We ALL fancy a spin in a CSL.....!

A.
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

Giles I want a go please please :D :D :D

Was good to see Adam and Nick at the wessex event, there were several Z's there as well including a White one. So the register was well represented.
I'm glad you enjoyed the ride and the event Adam ( I fancied having a go at the F40 too but that sunday afternoon Mondeo driver was always in the way :D )
ADD

blank.gif

100% Yes Please

Post by ADD »

Giles wrote:I think we're going to Gaydon Adam - do you fancy a spin in a CSL?

:shock: :shock: :shock:
:D 100% Yes! :D (thank you very much!) :D

A Spin in a CSL...The Ultimate Birthday present I'll ever get for sure!

Adam
Phil

M roadster S54

S54 ride

Post by Phil »

No problem Adam - I'm there on the Sunday and probably most of the day as I'm doing the off site drives.

ADD

blank.gif

Another week of work experience reports...anyone?

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

I had my interview this afternoon at the ‘certain’ dealership which lasted about half an hour. The interview went well, the service manager said that I was highly recommended from the man from BMW GB.
The service manager had two important questions, one was that the distance that I would need to travel was a lot further compared to my local dealer. I said this wasn’t a problem as I was prepared to travel, knew the times of trains/buses and the cost.
The other was that I wasn’t 16/17 and he thought that if I really wanted to work with cars that I would have started straight after leaving school as he did. I said I’ve always been interested in cars and computers from a young age and after leaving school I decided to go in the computer direction. After 2 years of computing and living life for a bit, I knew that I don’t want to do that for the rest of my life. After completing my weeks work experience in 1998 and again this year, I knew that I only wanted to work for BMW.

I think he couldn’t understand why I didn’t get the position at my local dealer because I look good on paper. So I think he questioned if I was really as good as I sounded and if I really got my hands dirty.
I told him that I knew a lot about BMWs - engines, model numbers etc and I mentioned I knew what VANOS was, how it worked and problems with it. This got a bit of a face reaction and showed him that I knew what I was taking about.

He mentioned that four people were expected to take the assessment last Friday but only two turned up and only one passed.

He said that he wanted me to come in to take part in a weeks work experience and see how I will perform/if I’m what they are looking for which starts on Monday.

I asked how well the person who passed the assessment did? He replied “passed with flying colours”. Then he said he would probably get them to come in the week after me.

I’m really looking forward to taking part in another weeks work experience and I will try my best once again. I expect you all will be looking forward to my daily reports once again.

Adam
Nick

Porsche

Reports

Post by Nick »

The dealership must be seriously interested in you, well done!

Please do the daily updates during the work experience.

Good luck,

Nick.
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Adam this sounds like the break you really deserve. It's great to see your enthusiasm. Best of luck.
Oh, and one way to impress em with just how keen you are is to make sure you get to work at least five minutes early each day :wink:
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Good luck Adam - I am sure that you will shine
Phil

M roadster S54

Fingers crossed---------

Post by Phil »

:rtm:

Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

Nice one Adam...good luck!
'MC' MarkC

M coupe S50

Re: Another week of work experience reports...anyone?

Post by 'MC' MarkC »

Excellent, good luck, although I don't think you'll need any luck at all.
ADD wrote:I expect you all will be looking forward to my daily reports once again.
Adam
Too right :!: The second series commences... :D
ACS susp., exhaust, wheels, short-shift +decat (Supersprint)+CF intake with K&N, remapped ECU, Strong-strutt. Piranha carbon-metallic clutch, EBC Grooved & Dimpled+Redstuff Ceramics. ACS pedals, gearknob & handbrake, stick-on plates.
Madeira Jon

BMW convertible

Post by Madeira Jon »

Hi Adam, this looks like it, lad!!!! Let us know what transpires.

(Gawd guys, we could make a SOAP outa this eh???) :D
Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Hope it works out for you Adam. I'll be at Gaydon with a new Z4 3.0i SMG, so if you fancy a ride out let me know.

Tim
ADD

blank.gif

Post by ADD »

Webmaster wrote:Hope it works out for you Adam. I'll be at Gaydon with a new Z4 3.0i SMG, so if you fancy a ride out let me know.

Tim
Yeah that would be cool!

Thanks

Adam
ADD

blank.gif

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

Had my first day of work experience at the ‘certain’ dealership, I arrived about ten minutes early to make a good impression. The dealership is a lot larger than my local, it has about 19+ technicians compared to the 6/7 of my local. The facilities are very impressive, they have these really cool ramps which come straight out of the ground, a large range of special BMW tools and other little things.

I started off having a health and safety introduction which I never had at my local dealer. I was working with a Technician who has been at the dealer for 11 years, he was about 10 years younger than the Technician who I worked with on my other work experience.

I assisted the Technician with the following cars;
• E46 318i Touring – Remote central locking stopped working, after having a new rear window fitted by AutoGlass. Checked fuses and wires but all ok. Found that the AM/FM receiver which is under the plastic cover where the LED brake light is located on the tailgate was not receiving anything. It looked like a new AM/FM receiver was needed but when removed we found that it had been put back on upside down and wasn’t making an earth with the body of the car.
• Mini One – Alarm module in the passenger’s door.
• E38 730i – New centre steering rod.
• Mini One – New window regulator and motor.
• E46 323Ci – Had a glass sunroof, the inside glass cover was broken and didn’t slide. New clips were needed.
• E46 318i – Used car check.

The Technician I was assisting was a very loud character, always speaking/trying to joke with the four closest technicians to his bay. This was ok to start off with but annoying after a while. He couldn’t start a job and finish it without going off. The two closest technicians would do the same. He was also messy, his bay floor wasn’t clean like most of the others, his tools were all over the place, most of the time after he used a tool he would just drop it onto the floor without a second thought and his bin was so full it looked like it hadn’t been emptied for two weeks.

When I was trying to assist or watch how the technician was doing something so that I would learn, one of the four closest technicians would come over and start talking/joking and get in the way. I would end up just standing/looking around the workshop. The technician would also disappear and not come back for five minutes, I was just left there standing/looking around again and not doing anything.

He didn’t seem interested in BMWs or any other cars, so I didn’t really speak to him about them and couldn’t really make an impression of my knowledge of BMWs and others.

When four of the Technicians asked where I lived, I told them, they couldn’t understand why I would travel about 35 miles to come and try and work there for BMW. They asked why I don’t try and work for Mercedes in my local town or something.
I just couldn’t be bothered to explain to those four as I don’t think it would make any difference as they don’t appreciate what a BMW is. So I just ended up saying that I only want to work for BMW.

I’m trying my best/hardness to make an impression so that they want to take me on. I just worried that I won’t get the right opportunities to so my true colours/knowledge.

Getting up at 5.30am so I can get my first train at 6:30am followed by the change over as there isn’t one train straight there and not getting home until 7.30/8pm is worth it because I want to work for that much BMW.

I hope I’m with a different technician tomorrow or the same technician has improved over night.

Adam
Phooto

BMW convertible

Post by Phooto »

I hope their attitude does not put you off.

If it's any consolation - don't let the b**tards grind you down, as in my experience, justice is always done in the end.

Good luck.

Simon
Simon Taylor
phooto
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

ADD wrote:.........He couldn’t start a job and finish it without going off. The two closest technicians would do the same..... he was also messy, his bay floor wasn’t clean like most of the others, his tools were all over the place, most of the time after he used a tool he would just drop it onto the floor without a second thought and his bin was so full it looked like it hadn’t been emptied for two weeks.......

.....He didn’t seem interested in BMWs or any other cars......
And then we wonder why sump guards don't get fitted properly, why oil caps are left off after a service, why you have to create merry hell to get you car looked at when it's been with the dealer for 2 days with a blown engine :evil:

Suddenly it's all so clear :roll:

Stick at it Adam, be a shining light in an otherwise dark world :head:
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

looks like those 4 should go and work for mercedes,this will make you want that job even more ,knowing that future bmw,s will be better looked after than presently :D :D :D :D
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Adam
Your attitude is just so exceptional. I can see you making it as chief technician or service manager within 7 to 10 years. Then amongst other things you would have the pleasure of kicking some ***, becuase it sounds like that's what's needed. Ultimately maybe you will achieve owning your own BMW servicing business. What you are doing now by learning those valuable skills is a means to such an end. Stick with it old chum.
ADD

blank.gif

Post by ADD »

Hi all,

Had my 2nd day at the dealer and things are just as bad as yesterday. I started off working with a different Technician, but he was one of the four closest Technicians from yesterday. He was just as bad as the Technician from yesterday but not as loud. He didn’t look after his tools, his bay etc… He wasn’t interested in BMWs/cars either, he said its just a job to him and he has more important things to think about.

I didn’t really assist him but just watched as he carried on finishing fitting parts he removed for a new clutch for a Mini Cooper S. He hadn’t finished the job but left it and carried on working on an X5 air con problem from the day before too.
He didn’t bother explaining why he did something or show me what he was doing on the diagnostic computer. I got the impression that I was just getting in his way. He would also disappear for 5 – 15 minutes at a time and I was just left again.

I worked with the Technician from yesterday for a bit aswell but things where the same again.

All I did today was change rear discs + pads on a Z3 1.9 and same again on the front of an E46 318i. I haven’t really learnt anything in two days.

Also the Technicians would mess about, try and soak each other with water using the water hoses. They got water all over the place (not me luckily enough), but I just don’t expect this from people who work for BMW.

All the 20 bins in the workshop are overfull, with rubbish now going on the floor next to them. They had a little meeting as visitor had come in to explain a new recycling plan, they should empty plastics in the plastic bin, the metal into the metal and so forth.
They had this system at my local dealer, it worked well as they would do this in the workshop, so stuff would go straight into the big bins outside. All the Technician would empty their own bins, keeping the workshop clean.

Before I finished today the Technicians I worked with said that tomorrow I would have to empty all the bins including sorting them into the correct material types for the large bins.
Sorry but I’m not there to empty bins for people who can’t pull their own weight! If they tell me to do it tomorrow, I will speak to the service manager and say that I’m not happy or impressed.

After two days working in the dealership, I’m not happy and I don’t want to work for them. I don’t even want to go in tomorrow and think I may not. But I’ve already bought my train ticket for the week, so I going in tomorrow and give it one more go. I’m going to ask if I can work/assist a Senior or Master Technician.

Adam
p.s. I forgot to say that I got a phone call back from dealer ‘3’ I mentioned before and they have asked me to come in for an interview on the 9th. I hope I get the opportunity to work there for a week, enjoy it and get a position there.