E34 M5 price against E39 M5

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
bmminiparts

blank.gif

E34 M5 price against E39 M5

Post by bmminiparts »

As the E36 M3 is now way cheaper than the E30 M3, the E34 price of M5's have not rallied. Do folk think the price will rise and eventually become more expensive than the E39 M5?

Or will the E34 M5 always be cheaper than the E39 M5 because the E39 was an big improvement over the E34, where as the E36 M3 lost some edge over the E30 M3 to appeal to a wider market? This is not a dig at the E36, just a comparrison.
danieltharris

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by danieltharris »

I think The E30 and E36 M3 are different, because if it were me I would rather have the E30 or the E46, but obviously theres a difference in price. The E36 M3 just isn't as appealing to me personally.

Quite often older cars don't usually end up being worth more, but when you are talking about a BMW or another brand of car that age well you can never be sure.

Are you thinking in investment terms? Because if it is just because you want an M5 just get the one you prefer regardless of which will be worth more in the future.
PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

IMO:
E30 M3 is the only M3 worth having. It genuinely was a road-going version of a race car. All subsequent M3's are in effect, just top of the range 3 series. It lost it's way and became a marketing exercise.

All of the M5's have retained their purpose - a fast, subtle executive car. There are a lot of ratty E34 M5's about (and E39's) which seem to be what market value is based on, not on ones worth having. E28 M5's seem to be starting to rise in value from what I've seen - but then, there only were 187 of them sold in the UK. Having owned or driven all 4 variants E28 to E61, I do think the E28 is the most fun, and the E34 is the best built.

The E34 M5 will have it's day yet I reckon.
押忍!闘え!応援団