New Z4 - nice but will we buy one ?

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

New Z4 - nice but will we buy one ?

Post by Titan »

Had a test drive in a new Z4 today
Dealer's spec was the 2.3 Sdrive which with the options netted out at £34k.
It's a lovely vehicle but cossets you and engenders a disconnected remoteness.
First impression was the huge width and an invisible nose beyond the bonnet hump. Front PDC are an expensive but IMHO necessary extra.
Other pepolpe have said that it's not so much a sports car any more, rather it's along distance cruiser. I'm inclined to agree.
But there's not a huge amount of luggage room if you do go on a long distance cruise. My guess is that the Z3 (without CD changer) will be comparable.
The roof is a work of combined engineering and art.
Because of the risk of trapping limbs/digits/persons in the mechanism you have to hold the button to raise and lower itt.
The operation seems to take forever (compared to the Z3) and you have to stop to do it.
Having enjoyed a mixture of twisty back roads and fast open A roads, we returned to the dealer with our verdict.
Yes it would be nice, but is it really £30k better than our Z3?

I don't think so :devil:

Click to enlarge the thubnails - pity is wasn't a brighter day
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Titan on Sat 20 Jun, 2009 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
Image :devil:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Great pics Titan but ahhhhh pahhhhh where are the chrome gills on it?

I saw one yesterday being driven by a very respectable looking lady thrashing it through the gears and I have to say the exhaust sounded very healthy it was quite noisy but a nice one at that :) I still think it doesn't seem to have the road presence of the old Z4 plus its just too expensive.

Apparently I hear BMW went for the tin top roof following customer demands :shock:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

TitanTim wrote:where are the chrome gills on it?
That's the problem with Dealer spec - take it or (in our case) leave it

For a while anyway :twisted:
Red with extended white sports leather and walnut trim was rather attractive.....
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Titan wrote:
TitanTim wrote:where are the chrome gills on it?
That's the problem with Dealer spec - take it or (in our case) leave it

For a while anyway :twisted:
Red with extended white sports leather and walnut trim was rather attractive.....
Not tempted with a 1st gen Z4M? prices are dropping steadily :)

Tim.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

TitanTim wrote: Not tempted with a 1st gen Z4M?
Tim
As before - will it be £xxxx better then our Z3 ?
For my money, the Z3 is a much more attractive car than either of the Z4 models
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Titan wrote:
TitanTim wrote: Not tempted with a 1st gen Z4M?
Tim
As before - will it be £xxxx better then our Z3 ?
For my money, the Z3 is a much more attractive car than either of the Z4 models
Probably not to be honest, although I'm warming to the Z4 and its looks. I would have to drive one to be sure though. I never liked the styling of the 1 Series but its a funny thing and now owning one and comparing against Audi's, VW's etc I can really appreciate the Flame Design of the latter BMW's, he says rubbing eyes :shock:

Tim.
Nick

Porsche

Post by Nick »

Titan wrote:For my money, the Z3 is a much more attractive car than either of the Z4 models
100% agree apart from the Z4M Coupe.

:)
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Nick wrote: 100% agree apart from the Z4M Coupe.
But getting the roof off a coupe is such a pain............... :twisted:

I agree with your observation Nick but our desired vehicle was a roadster. To be strictly correct my post shoud read:
For my money, the Z3 roadster is a much more attractive car than either the old Z4 roadster or the new Z4 "hybrid"
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Titan wrote:
Nick wrote: 100% agree apart from the Z4M Coupe.
But getting the roof off a coupe is such a pain............... :twisted:

I agree with your observation Nick but our desired vehicle was a roadster. To be strictly correct my post shoud read:
For my money, the Z3 roadster is a much more attractive car than either the old Z4 roadster or the new Z4 "hybrid"
You could always stick your head out the sunroof :devil:

Tim.
PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

No sunroof on a Z4 coupe.
押忍!闘え!応援団

Post by Guest »

Hi Titan

Thanks for the info on the washer problem... ended up following links off that thread to here. I'm absolutely "sold" on the new Z4 but I've read that they wanted to attract more female Z4 buyers though I wouldn't even consider the previous model... sorry Z4 owners.. just personal choice.

My only problem .... I'd never be able to part with Zippy to buy one and owning a Z3 and a Z4 - well that's just greedy :devil: and I'd have to build another garage.

I mean look at this... how can you not like it ?

Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

I haven't actually driven one, but from everything I read from those that have the car is clearly a disappointment from a 'driving' perspective. Having come from an M background, I think I would be distinctly underwhelmed.

It's a real shame, because from a looks perspective, I think it's a cracker!
Richi

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Richi »

Well would you believe I took the same damned car out for a run a couple of weeks ago! (Well it was a dark blue 2.3 Sdrive from Castle in York)

I liked it and think that stylistically it is a great improvement on the old Z4................ but still prefer the retro-styling of my old Z3.

Why can't they just make a reproduction of the 1957 507 http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/pics/vin ... 01_832.jpg .......... but with all Mod Cons and I'd have one like a flash! (And please don't say "They did..........and called it the Z8" ! )

:(

Rich.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Snoops wrote
I'd never be able to part with Zippy to buy one and owning a Z3 and a Z4 - well that's just greedy
Not greedy - just practical. Want to go away on a long trip with a bit more luggage take the Z4 - just want a fun day out take the Z3. Garage needs a new roof and I'm working on getting agreement to extend it at the same time - some comments being made about the garage ending up bigger than the garden - less lawn to mow :D'
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8

Post by Guest »

Zed Carer wrote:Snoops wrote
I'd never be able to part with Zippy to buy one and owning a Z3 and a Z4 - well that's just greedy
Not greedy - just practical. Want to go away on a long trip with a bit more luggage take the Z4 - just want a fun day out take the Z3.:D'
Well now I've been and looked at one "in the flesh" I'd have to question the luggage space.. and you can't get anything of any size in/out of boot with roof down as it covers the opening.

The styling, the looks, the interior, loved it loved it...

I've made my mind up thought, sticking with Zippy, other half said order one if you really want one but condition is Zippy goes.... thought about it for about 5 seconds - Zippy stays, thing is... I don't feel like I'm missing out, get so much pleasure out of driving him.

So decision made, going to get him a new softtop for the winter and get the stone chips on the bonnet sorted after Europe trip.
Madeira Jon

BMW convertible

Post by Madeira Jon »

I am still not convinced as to the durability of that metal folding roof. SL Mercedes owners have had problems with the seals between the metal parts compressing and then letting in water. The cost to MB owners out of warranty.....£4000 plus!
Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Having just driven 210 miles back from Cornwall I was reminded just how much road & wind noise grates on longer journeys.
I almost wished I'd fitted the hard top, but that's rather an 'all or nothing' solution at this time of year.
So the thought of only having to push a button to get a hard top in the form of a metal folding roof over one's head or not over one's head as the case may be, is very appealing.
Looks very nice too.
However it's unfortunate about the disconnected remoteness that one would least expect or wish for in a two seater BMW sports car, the £34k price tag for a 2.3 and the possibility of £4k roof repair bills if SL's are anything to go by.
You could re-roof a bungalow for that !
For now I'll stick with the rag top & just shell out 50 pence on a pair of ear plugs for longer journeys.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Snoops wrote
Zed Carer wrote:
Snoops wrote
Quote:
Not greedy - just practical. Want to go away on a long trip with a bit more luggage take the Z4 - just want a fun day out take the Z3.
Well now I've been and looked at one "in the flesh" I'd have to question the luggage space.. and you can't get anything of any size in/out of boot with roof down as it covers the opening.
We've got the real Z4 with loads of boot space even with the top down - although it is just a bit too civilised at times. TBH neither of us are very impressed with the new Z4 but hopefully the rumored Z2 will be a proper roadster.

Post by Guest »

Zed Carer wrote: We've got the real Z4 with loads of boot space even with the top down - although it is just a bit too civilised at times. TBH neither of us are very impressed with the new Z4 but hopefully the rumored Z2 will be a proper roadster.
It wasn't so much the boot space per se to me its not the car to buy if you want boot space but I could see how vulnerable that rear window looked totally exposed when you opened the boot. That then left a very narrow gap to put something in, salesman said you need the roof up to put stuff in and out of boot really!

Have to wait and see the Z2 then !
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Snoops wrote
salesman said you need the roof up to put stuff in and out of boot really!
IIRC the salesman told us that there is an "accessibility pack" (or some such name) available as an optional extra (no doubt at some exorbitant price) that part raises the roof so larger items can be put in removed. I've still got the CD changer in the boot of the Z3 so the boot on my wife's Z4 seems a lot bigger - it is an 07 facelift model. TBH honest part of her still regrets trading in her Z3 (she had it for over 7 years) but the fully automatic roof, heated glass rear window does make the Z4 quite a civilised daily driver and long distance cruiser. Just think that the new Z4 has gone a couple of steps too far away from being a roadster for us.
moneymouth77

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by moneymouth77 »

Or you could just get a REALLY heavyweight Z4...

Full story on SkyMotoring: http://motoring.sky.com/news/bmw-z4-art ... crete.aspx