Perspex for less than £25 what do you think?

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Perspex for less than £25 what do you think?

Post by Fender2004 »

Having seen the Perspex wind breakers for the Z3 on various web sites, I thought to myself, that it just looked like a shape cut out of a flat piece of Perspex, surely I could do that, so I decided to have a go myself for a few reasons;
1. The web sites all said that the Perspex wind breakers would only fit a BMW bought roll bar, mine are not, so I thought I might have to modify or cut it anyway.
2. The Perspex is far better when using the rear view mirror.
3. The cost, why pay upwards of £100 when this one only cost less than £25. I paid £23 for the Perspex, £1 for the hard board (off cut at my local DIY shop) and 99 pence for the plastic ties.
4. Can be left in place all year, round as the soft top goes up and down without catching the wind breaker.
5. It can be easily removed by cutting the cable ties. These will have to be replaced when reattaching the wind breaker.
6. The roll bars can still be seen, and from a distance it looks as though there is no wind breaker attached to the car, but there is, so you get the benefit from it.

Having made the wind breaker I have a few tips for anyone thinking of trying to do the same;

1. Make a template out of hardboard as it is far easier to cut and handle, and you are not worried about scratching the hardboard as you would be using the Perspex.
2. Once you are happy with the template, place it on the Perspex, putting masking tape on the Perspex around the edge where you will be cutting, and mark the line on the masking tape. It will be far easier to see the line on the masking tape than on the Perspex.
3. I cut the shape out with a jig saw, but what I found was happening, was that as I cut along the line the heat of the saw was sealing the Perspex behind, leaving the Perspex uncut. So as I had put masking tape onto the Perspex to make the line easier to see I wetted the masking tape which was enough to cool the saw blade down to enable me to cut the Perspex normally as long as I kept the masking tape wet.
4. Do not remove the protective sheets off the Perspex, until you are finished all cutting and sanding, as they help to protect the Perspex sheet while you are working.

First try of the hardboard template

The Perspex piece cut out note all the pieces of tape etc still on

The first fitting

The finished item

A big thank you to spokey for his post on uploading photo, other wise there would not be any :)
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

When I purchased my Perspex windbreaker I was warned that they explode at high speed. The advice was from one of our German friends and I think danger speed was over 120mph so I reckoned I would keep my speed below this or take the windbreak off when /if on the autobahn. So obviously it's a case of using the thickest perspex available.
Anyway it looks like a brilliant DIY job - might look even better with silver wheeltrim ties, about £1 at Wilkinsons.
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

as stated, be careful as that may shatter, not all perspex is suitable for this sort of application

i wouldnt risk it.
Still modifying
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

my home made one has been on for 2 years without shattering, and at speeds above that stated (abroad!), Its only 1.5mm thick, wobbles a bit in between the hoops at high speed, but never been a problem.
Oh and you can hoover the parcel shelf with it still on from the around the sides.

simples!

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
FreddyK

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by FreddyK »

Looks like there are more Zedders having the same idea.

I have been driving with a perspex screen for over 5 years now. This is actually the 2nd one I made, as the perspex tends to become scratched after a few years.

Maybe a little tip for Fender2004: try putting the plastic straps from the inside so that you don't see the little connector blocks.

I myself used pieces of a safety belt with black velcro (which makes them practically invisible on my black roll hoops).

Freddy
Freddy

Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Thanks for the comments. I used 4mm thick perspex and it seems fine with no wobbles at speed, although I've never been to 120mph :devil: I'll keep a look out for the ties in Wilkinsons. 8-)

Cheers
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

hi fender i have the same bars as you and was wondering what to do, was going to visit justroadster.com as its only a few miles from me to see if i could have a custom made one. but yours look really good. wanted to try an oem wind break but realise the net will hide the shiny bars. and there slightly a different shape/profile.
how did you cut the perspex? coping saw ?

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Just a note, Perspex can shatter so it's better to use Acrylic sheet :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
calbens

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Perspex for less than £25 what do you think?

Post by calbens »

Fender it looks really impressive!
But you got me thinking when you said about the masking tape being wet to stop the plastic melting as you're cutting, do you think it could be cut using an electric tile cutter?
Just a thought because with those you have the water spraying over the area being cut and it's a fine toothed blade too? :idea:
I'm tempted to have a go at it myself, how easy or difficult was it to create the template shape?

Bex
BATTERZEE

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BATTERZEE »

Lexan (polycarbonate) is the preferred material for helmet visors and motorcycle windscreens, I would have thought a wind deflector made of that would be pretty safe.
ImageImage
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Lexan is a trade name for Acrylic, often used in areas were vandalism is a problem.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Good effort Fender :wink:

I've seen a number of "home made" efforts this year and most I have to say have looked pretty good (at least from a distance).

The only thing I would add is that you do notice the difference in a properly machine cut job in that the edges will be perfect (up close the nature of perspex does exaggerate the cutting marks on a DIY job)

I had a go at making my own with what looks like similar results to you but in the end I was not happy with the quality of the finish and bought a retail one from simon at justroadster.

At the end of the day its not that complicated to try and make you own pretty cheaply, but for me it was worth the extra to get a factory finish, perfect "symmetrical" fit made out of the correct type of "perspex".

Canman, I've just had a customised one made for my AC Schnitzer rollhoops by Simon and I'll hopefully post some pics fitted tomorrow (finish as always is perfect :wink: )

Here is a link to my install on my first Z with standard rollhoops for comparison, really comes down to cost and what finish your looking for :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Good effort :) I might consider one these off Simon next summer, only problem is it renders the storage space behind the seats pretty useless which is why I like the standard zipper type, just doesn't look as smart.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
BATTERZEE

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BATTERZEE »

garythefish wrote:Lexan is a trade name for Acrylic, often used in areas were vandalism is a problem.
No offence but I think you are wrong there, Lexan is a trade name for a polycarbonate.

http://www.modernplastics.com/lexan.html
ImageImage
BATTERZEE

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BATTERZEE »

TitanTim wrote:Good effort :) I might consider one these off Simon next summer, only problem is it renders the storage space behind the seats pretty useless which is why I like the standard zipper type, just doesn't look as smart.

Tim.
Same reason I'm not keen.
ImageImage
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

BATTERZEE wrote:
garythefish wrote:Lexan is a trade name for Acrylic, often used in areas were vandalism is a problem.
No offence but I think you are wrong there, Lexan is a trade name for a polycarbonate.

http://www.modernplastics.com/lexan.html
None taken :wink:

If one needs to be made to fit the storage area, can it not be made with a hinge panel that lifts to gain access to the storage area?
Gazza

ImageImage
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

Acrylic (Perspex) = low impact strength
Polycarbonate (Lexan) = high impact strength
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

henrycrun wrote:Acrylic (Perspex) = low impact strength
Polycarbonate (Lexan) = high impact strength
Perspex=low impact
Acrylic=High impact
Polycarbonate=Higher impact
Gazza

ImageImage
BATTERZEE

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BATTERZEE »

garythefish wrote:
If one needs to be made to fit the storage area, can it not be made with a hinge panel that lifts to gain access to the storage area?
Something like that would interest me. Storage is at a premium and I keep the first-aid kit and hi-viz jackets in mine.
ImageImage
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

To reply to calbens, making the template was the easiest job, I just held the hardboard onto the hoops and drew round. As far as the tile saw goes all I can say is, to have a go on a scrap piece of perspex before cutting out the wind breaker.