Speed Humps

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
StevieH

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Speed Humps

Post by StevieH »

Dear All,

I bought a BMW Z3 Roadster in July, but seem to struggle when going over speed humps. Even when I approach a road hump with caution and go over very slowly, it often makes a horrible, scraping noise underneath the car and I am concerned that I am doing damage to the fuel tank.

I literally have my foot on the break as I go over a speed hump, and find it extremely frustrating.

Has anyone got any advice?
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Sounds like your car is lowered or has sagged? I never had any issue at standard ride height, but when lowered you have to be careful.

Have you had a look underneath to see what might be scraping?
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

If you post a side on pic of your car we'll let you know if it's been lowered. Seems like it has from your experience with road humps.
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Need really to see a piccie of your Zed :lol:

I have 3 speed humps at work and there are a couple at my local supermarket and never experience any probs with them.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

I only get problems on very severe humps and it's the exhaust box that scrapes since having it changed.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Dave L2 wrote:I only get problems on very severe humps and it's the exhaust box that scrapes since having it changed.
I think you have answered your own question then. It seems very likely that either an incorrect part or incorrect fitting is to blame. It could be just as simple as a rubber exhaust mount has popped off or broken.

Take it back and get them to fix it before you do any damage.
BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

mine scrapes on most bumps, its the standard exhaust......but i do have coil overs lol.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

If you can, go over them at an angle. Not practical on a busy road, but it does work.
Pingu
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

pingu wrote:If you can, go over them at an angle. Not practical on a busy road, but it does work.
This also applied to boarding ferries. :)

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

siwilson wrote:
Dave L2 wrote:I only get problems on very severe humps and it's the exhaust box that scrapes since having it changed.
I think you have answered your own question then. It seems very likely that either an incorrect part or incorrect fitting is to blame. It could be just as simple as a rubber exhaust mount has popped off or broken.

Take it back and get them to fix it before you do any damage.
It's a custom exhaust with a larger than normal back box.
KingCarl

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by KingCarl »

i agree with Pingu - get a good angle at it - maybe tricky if other folks around but slow down in plenty of time etc