Idiot girl just hit my car

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

Idiot girl just hit my car

Post by chris1984_99_99 »

I was in the cinema tonight and when i came out i couldnt belive how close the next car was parked to me, to my drivers side door. I thought to myself i bet she has hit my door...got a torch out and what do you know, she had not only scraped the mirror but also hit the door itself. Seeing red i wrote a letter and took photos and put it on her wipers. Then i thought i'd better wait and actually see her... 30 minutes later she came out and instantly denied everything. I caught her out on so many things (eg she said she climbed out her passenger side door, yet when returning to the car walked to the drivers side) and there were any number of other spaces to choose from.

I asked her nicely to open her drivers door to prove me wrong and show me that her door didnt line up with the damage caused, she refused, accused me of harassing her and a whole load of bull.... so now im thinking who do i contact first, the police or insurance company?

Im still fuming and just had to get it off my chest! has anyone else had the same thing happen to them and what did u do?

....ARGH!!!!!!
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

Dent repair and scratch cover-up won't set you back more than £150.
First, it probably isn't worth making an insurance claim for that amount of money, thus involving your insurance company and the police is probably not the best option.
Secondly, if you're fussed about the repair cost, take it easy cause £150 is not a great price to pay to avoid a heart attack or a stroke because someone dented your car.
Thirdly, I'm sure you got her registration and the DVLA might be able to provide her full contact details, see here. Since you have pics, it might be worth sending her a nice letter to suggest an out-of-court settlement for the repair cost or threaten to take her to the small claims court.

But above all else - chill. $hit happens. Some idiots broke one of my rear light clusters not too long ago, it looked like it had been kicked, so I know how you feel. At least you have someone you can chase up, I just had to cough up for a replacement part.
wwwwOOOff!!!
Mouldy

Not specified

Re: Idiot girl just hit my car

Post by Mouldy »

chris1984_99_99 wrote:I was in the cinema tonight and when i came out i couldnt belive how close the next car was parked to me, to my drivers side door. I thought to myself i bet she has hit my door...got a torch out and what do you know, she had not only scraped the mirror but also hit the door itself. Seeing red i wrote a letter and took photos and put it on her wipers. Then i thought i'd better wait and actually see her... 30 minutes later she came out and instantly denied everything. I caught her out on so many things (eg she said she climbed out her passenger side door, yet when returning to the car walked to the drivers side) and there were any number of other spaces to choose from.

I asked her nicely to open her drivers door to prove me wrong and show me that her door didnt line up with the damage caused, she refused, accused me of harassing her and a whole load of bull.... so now im thinking who do i contact first, the police or insurance company?

Im still fuming and just had to get it off my chest! has anyone else had the same thing happen to them and what did u do?

....ARGH!!!!!!
If you notify your insurance company of a potential claim, it may affect your NCB, even though it wasn't your fault.

I mentioned on here in another thread about my son, whose was driving on a roundabout when his car was hit by another motorist who didn't know where he was going and drifted out of his lane. They exchanged details but there were no witnesses and my son contacted his insurance company but the third party didn't. After two years of correspondence, my son has had to tell his insurers not to pursue the matter any more and pay the £150 for the repairs himself.

On a positive note, his insurance premium dropped from £1600 last year to £585 this year, as there are no outstanding claims on his record.

My daily driver was sitting on my driveway last Thursday when it was hit by a recycling bin that was blown across my neighbours garden in the strong winds. The dents cannot be repaired without paint as they are on the forward edge of the o/s front door and the back edge of the o/s front wing. I am not happy, but sometimes these things happen. I can claim on my insurance, but I am sure that it will affect my premium and will ultimately cost me more than getting the job done myself.

I am always careful where I park, usually in an end spot where only one thoughtless c*ck can park next to me, try not to park next to a mobile dustbin of a car, where it is evident that the owner doesn't care and try not to park next to cars with child seats inside, as experience tells me that installing your offspring in them necessitates the door being opened wide.

I am sure that you will be the loser if you try to pursue this as without any witnesses, you will have a hard job trying to prove it, especially to satisfy the police, who probably have more serious crimes to worry about. Learn from it and move on. Life's too short!

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

To late now but when she came out and started saying it wasnt her and saying you were harrassing her I would have called the police at that point.
Hope you get it sorted quickly though,and ask around as someone there must have cctv in the car park, very few places haven't nowadays.
Makes my blood boil sum bags like her :twisted: :x
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I would have opened my door onto hers......knock for knock :wink:

It is VERY frustrating I know, my neighbour drove into my car scraping the wheel arch and bumper, big black mark on her car and she still denied it :head: , she later got her payback, big dent in her wing (not by me ) when I saw her I just laughed out loud :lol: :lol:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. ive calmed down a bit now!...

I rang the police last night after talking to one of my friends, told them what happened and they said they'd get back to me shortly. About 30 minutes later at 1am a car comes down the drive...it was the police! There was me expecting a phone call!

Anyway i showed the officer the damage that was done, to be honest it wasnt that bad but its the principal more than anything. I showed him the photos that i took, explained to him what i thought had happened and how, with photos to back it up etc. Very decent and down to earth fella. In the end he said it would be very hard to prove it, these happen etc which is pretty much what i expected, but he did say he was leaving my house to go give her a call and at the very least give her a shock and inconvienece of having to go outside to show a policeman her car at 1.30am on a stormy night!

To be fair thats all i wanted, i have the car drying in the garage now and will probably have it sorted by the end of the day. If she learns a lesson and thinks twice about doing it in the future then im happy enough. Its people like that who are ruining our society today. Spouting...you cant do this and thats an infringment of my rights that and your harassing me and...ah shut up and deal with it! I have to admit it was quite funny when i told her to knock off the water works when she tried that one on me! There was also a deadly silence when her friend piped up saying they were good christians and wouldnt lie....when i asked them about the commandment "love thy neighbour"..... i love it when idiots try to be smart! :)

To be honest i think im going to become a person i used to hate and start parking over 2 spaces. As it is when i park i always park either away from other cars or next to the most expensive car i can find. At least they will be careful. In saying that, 2 days after i got the Z3 i parked at the bottom of a car park well away from anyone else outside a shopping centre. Came back to the car about an hour later and someone had hit the front right corner, scuffing it leaving some red paintwork in mine and breaking the top corner off one of the lights. I mean, you park away from anyone so nobody would go near the car and still it happens! I bet if you parked in the middle of a desert and come back someone will be parked right tight beside you!
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

to be honest some people are just stupid..........everyday im amazed at what i see out there....i do feel for you i had something similar a while back but just had to take it on the chin.............iv not fixed it yet but its going to cost me £450.....
the badness makes me do it...!

SpaceMonkey

blank.gif

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Tbh you're a better person than me.
If it was quite evident the car next to me had damaged mine I'd of kicked all the panels down that side of the car out of temper :head:

The only sensible way of doing things differently what you did is to see if there is any CCTV in the car park & ask to have a nose at it & then provide that to the insurance co.

Unfortunately I'm one of those people that parks in 2 bays & worries about a potential fine later. I'd rather pay a fine than have someone damage my vehicle.

Hope you do get some sort of result with this buddy.
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

SpaceMonkey wrote:Tbh you're a better person than me.
If it was quite evident the car next to me had damaged mine I'd of kicked all the panels down that side of the car out of temper :head:

The only sensible way of doing things differently what you did is to see if there is any CCTV in the car park & ask to have a nose at it & then provide that to the insurance co.

Unfortunately I'm one of those people that parks in 2 bays & worries about a potential fine later. I'd rather pay a fine than have someone damage my vehicle.

Hope you do get some sort of result with this buddy.
:lol: man after my own heart, with the exception of after kicking the crap out of their car they would be next on the list :lol:
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Hang_em_high wrote: . . . . . . . ask around as someone there must have cctv in the car park, very few places haven't nowadays.
There may well be CCTV in the car park, but I,m sure that the Data Protection Act would prevent anyone other that someone with a legal entitlement to view it, from doing so.

Let's face it, society has changed somewhat over the years and we have changed from being selfless to selfish, generally speaking.

Sometimes, we all do our bit for charity, but in reality the only people we care about is ourselves and our property and spare little thought for others and theirs. For example, how many of us are concerned about the drop in value of our property, but aren't too concerned about the effects that the recession have had on others.

Its a sobering thought, but think about it and I'm fairly sure that you'll agree.

GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

From a slightly different angle (and don't get me wrong your story p****d me off...)

Are we not as UK insurance holders discouraged from accepting responsibilty for fear of invalidating our insurance?

Gaz
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Idiot girl just hit my car

Post by Hard Top »

Mouldy wrote:I am always careful where I park, usually in an end spot where only one thoughtless c*ck can park next to me, try not to park next to a mobile dustbin of a car, where it is evident that the owner doesn't care and try not to park next to cars with child seats inside, as experience tells me that installing your offspring in them necessitates the door being opened wide
Also beware of people that reverse park in supermarket car parks, as inevitably they will try to get their shopping trolley between the parked cars, to reach their boot :head:

HT
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
freck99

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by freck99 »

A couple of years ago, my (now ex) wife went out to her car one morning to find her car damaged, the door and rear arch scuffed and creased with white paint marks all down it (her car was BRG). :x
Anyway, she came back inthe house to tell me and I went outside to look. As I was looking, I turned to see if there were any white cars in the street nearby and the only one around was parked across the street opposite the wife's car, belonging to one of the neighbours. On closer inspection it was obvious that this was the offending car as it had a nice BRG streak across the corner of the white colour coded bumper!

On confronting the neighbour about it and asking him to pay up for the damage, he denied all knowledge and refused to discuss it any more. :evil:
Luckily, the wife knew lots of police officers through her work (up to Chief Constable level!) and got one of the sergeants to pay our neighbour a visit, unofficially of course. He told the neighbour that his car was going to be impounded for forensic examination of the paint on the bumper and if it was found to be a match for our car he could be prosecuted for failing to report an accident, leaving the scene, failing to give insurance details etc, etc.
The result of this visit was of course that the neighbour cr*&ped himself and payed up pretty sharpish and our car was repaired straight away (£800 worth)
It shows though, it's not what you know...... :D
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Over here there is a (roughly translated) 'national guarantee insurance' that covers you for a hit and run, if you have a police report.

Back in the 1990,s I was parked in a pub car park where some nice person took out my left front wing, my alloy and my door, but did not bother to come back in the pub or leave a note. :evil:
The damage done was pretty bad, as it took two of us to pull the wing away from the wheel to make the car drivable, and I could not open the door.
Anyway, the barman called the police, who arrived quite quickly, they took one look at the car and told me to take it to the police station the next day.
Samples were taken of the red paint on my black car, report written and three weeks later, money in the bank.

HT
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

I too feel your pain.... After just 2 days! of owning my zed it was parked outside a friends house overnitght and when i went to it the next morning it had been side swiped by a car on the passenger door!! £180 later it was repaired good as new.... At least you got to give the idiot a grilling.....
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Wrinkley

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wrinkley »

Last year a somewhat dozy friend of my wife's had a 5mph shunt with an parked car in a local Asda.
Having spent 5 years trying to pass her test she panicked and drove away leaving the car with minor damage to the N/S door.
Two days later she has a visit from the police,the incident had been recorded on cctv.
To cut a long story short
she ended up with nine points on her licence,
3 for driving with undue care,3 for not reporting an accident and 3 for leaving the scene.She was ordered to pay £270 in compensation and £15 court costs and because she had only just passed her test she had her licence revoked under the 2 year 6 points rule.

I would definitely report it to the police then ask the cinema if it is on cctv if it is then to pass the information to the police.

Steve
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

Worst part - you officially still have to tell the insurance as they state "any accident / damage regardless of fault or claim".

Nonsense I know, but not reporting it is supposedly wrong ...
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Are we not losing sight of the fact that this was a minor (but annoying) incident, with slight damage to the car. It hasn't been written off and I doubt that the police would award nine penalty points for causing a 'car park dent'.

As far as calling the police is concerned, I think that this compares well with going to A & E with a headache. Should we bother them with such relatively minor problems and instead of letting them deal with more serious crimes?

If you have an issue, take it to your insurance company and let them deal with it, but I think that you will be worse off financially, as it will be classed as a claim and affect your NCB.

Just as a comparison, I had the front bumper of my Zed resprayed in September and a few days later, went to Cornwall for a week in it. By the time I came back, there were three or four stonechips in my new paintjob. Should I sue the council (but which one?) for poor road maintenance or accept the fact that it's an inevitable consequence of owning and driving a car.

And while we're on the subject of Cornwall, compare the problem of a small mark in the side of your car to the massive problems that many Cornish families are going to experience as a result of the floods, especially as we enter the festive season.

I'm not saying that it doesn't matter, but let's put it into perspective!

Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

I have no sympathy for these sort of incidents. The people causing the damage should take responsibility for their actions, simple as that.

Ok, so maybe it was windy - ok, well maybe she shouldn't have parked so close to your car.

I don't understand the dishonesty of so many people when it comes to this kind of stuff. I was in Germany a few years ago and somebody had reversed into a camper van. They left a note with contact information with no sign of the owner.

Just a different mentality and society really! (another thing you notice over there is that very few wheels have scuffs or kerbing..)

I wouldn't have left her leave the car park without taking responsibility! Sure, worse things can happen, but if things like this are overlooked, society starts to go downhill pretty quickly...

On the opinion of putting things into perspective and "it's not the end of the world..", see how you would react if this happened to your car!

But chin up! Could have been someone completely different driving that car and might have ended up nasty.. I've seen the nasty of Scotland a few times :D
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

PVR wrote:Worst part - you officially still have to tell the insurance as they state "any accident / damage regardless of fault or claim".

Nonsense I know, but not reporting it is supposedly wrong ...
Apparently you're not supposed go to above 70mph on a motorway either.... :wink:
Oh! how I laugh at those that do as I sit in the middle lane at 69mph :twisted:
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi

I may sound sad
The nearest i go to a cinema car park is the end of my drive,
if i have to use a car park, its parked away in the farthest corner
my wife goes wild as we always have a long walk
and yes normally two spaces :head: :head:
I will probaly get some flack about that

Always park at the end as well tight to the wall

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Boysie wrote:my wife goes wild as we always have a long walk
and yes normally two spaces :head: :head:
If she doesn't like the long walk, she can stay and growl at the person who attempts to park next to your car! :D
Good

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Good »

[quote="Wolverine_1999"]I don't understand the dishonesty of so many people when it comes to this kind of stuff. I was in Germany a few years ago and somebody had reversed into a camper van. They left a note with contact information with no sign of the owner.

I had a note left on my windscreen when I came back to it , in a car park many moons ago to find a big dent in the side.

"The Twats that saw this happen think I am leaving my details"

The air was a bit blue :roll:
Leben ein Klumpen von Scheiße, wenn Sie ihn betrachten
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Good wrote:
Wolverine_1999 wrote:I don't understand the dishonesty of so many people when it comes to this kind of stuff. I was in Germany a few years ago and somebody had reversed into a camper van. They left a note with contact information with no sign of the owner.

I had a note left on my windscreen when I came back to it , in a car park many moons ago to find a big dent in the side.

"The Twats that saw this happen think I am leaving my details"

The air was a bit blue :roll:
Ouch.. I think Boysie has the right attitude to the rest of the drivers.. don't trust them!
Wrinkley

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wrinkley »

Mouldy wrote:Are we not losing sight of the fact that this was a minor (but annoying) incident, with slight damage to the car. It hasn't been written off and I doubt that the police would award nine penalty points for causing a 'car park dent'.

I can assure you she did get nine points on her license for this incident,and it wasn't the police that awarded them it was the courts.

Steve
benslick

blank.gif

Hey guys

Post by benslick »

Hi Guys,

I don't normally post out of the Z1 section so excuse me for butting in. I'm sorry for what happened to your door! It happened to me but I managed to get the girl who damaged my car to pay for the damage as I saw her do it! :head: and went mad at her as she was going to slop off!

Can't believe people have no thought for other peoples stuff! Get it fixed and move on.. What goes around comes around, as they say!
Benslick
chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi guys, thanks for the words of support, and i have to say its sad to see this appears to be an all too common thing! Cant believe that story a about the person leaving the note saying that! Honestly 10 minutes in a locked room with that person would soon change a few things!

Thankfully the damage to my car was very minor and i had it sorted myself within a few hours, a touch up of paint and polish/wax and its very hard to see any damage. Throw on the plenty of mud and dirt you get after driving 30 feet on the roads and you cant see a thing!

For me i got my sense of gratification and kick from knowing she had the police call to her door around 2am and question her and bring her out to show them her car on a horrible stormy night. Also giving her a piece of my mind and nearly reducing her to tears and having her caught out and tongue tied several times was oh so very satisfying.

All i can hope for is shes learnt her lesson from it and me getting the police involved in a minor event will make her think twice about abandoning her car so close to another, and hopefully prevent someone else going through what i did with her!
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Wrinkley wrote:
Mouldy wrote:Are we not losing sight of the fact that this was a minor (but annoying) incident, with slight damage to the car. It hasn't been written off and I doubt that the police would award nine penalty points for causing a 'car park dent'.

I can assure you she did get nine points on her license for this incident,and it wasn't the police that awarded them it was the courts.

Steve
I wasn't referring to the incident you mentioned, but the original one at the top of the thread. Even I can appreciate the difference between driving off after a shunt and a mark caused by a car door carelessly opened.

I know that this kind of damage is annoying, but in the society in which we live, it is all to common. To a lot of people, a car is just a car and nothing special, even more so if it is a company vehicle.

Just sit for ten minutes in your local supermarket carpark and watch the antics of some drivers. Able bodied drivers park in disabled bays because they are nearer the shop and they wont have to walk so far. They squabble for parking spaces near the entrance for the same reason, when other parts of the carpark that are further away, are empty. Trollies get parked against the side of the car next to theirs to stop them rolling away whilst they load their shopping into their cars and then they leave the trollies littered all over the carpark, because they can't be bothered to put them in the trolley park.

Please don't tell me that it doesn't happen where you live, because I wont believe you!

Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

A friend came back to his car in a Supermarket car park, the woman in the car parked next to him was unloading the bags from her trolley onto his boot lid, sorting out how to put it in her boot. I wish I had been there to see it as he does have a quick temper
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Hey guys

Post by TitanTim »

[quote="benslick"]Hi Guys,

I don't normally post out of the Z1 section so excuse me for butting in. /quote]

Oh is the Z1 section a special section then? :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

I was out for a coffee today with a friend and while i was looking for a parking space the car infront found one and started to move into it. So i sat there.... and sat there.... and realised whoever it was infront of me was making a real mess of this. They eventually got in and i went to drive on by...but looked at them, and how they had parked.

Unbelievable. the car was at such an angle the back of their car was actually blocking the next car in, and again they were so close to the other car drivers door they would have been unable to get in, while leaving LOADS of room on their own side.

So.... i stopped and got out and knocked on their car and promptly told them that they were blocking a car in and how much room there was to park properly. The look she gave me was one of.... how dare you speak to me like that!.... and then she just got out of the car and walked away!.... a we old woman to in her 70's i'd say!
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

TitanTim wrote: Oh is the Z1 section a special section then.
The Z1 section doesn’t get posts from some of the dickheads the Z3 section has acquired
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Geoff H wrote:
The Z1 section doesn’t get posts from some of the dickheads the Z3 section has acquired
Perhaps the Z3 section is the lighthearted one then :wink:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Sorcerors Apprentice

Other roadster

Post by Sorcerors Apprentice »

TitanTim wrote:
Geoff H wrote:
Perhaps the Z3 section is the lighthearted one then :wink:

Tim.
Err, I think that Titan Tim has a valid point there having read a couple of posts in the Z1 section today.
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

Mouldy wrote:
Hang_em_high wrote: . . . . . . . ask around as someone there must have cctv in the car park, very few places haven't nowadays.
There may well be CCTV in the car park, but I,m sure that the Data Protection Act would prevent anyone other that someone with a legal entitlement to view it, from doing so.

Let's face it, society has changed somewhat over the years and we have changed from being selfless to selfish, generally speaking.

Sometimes, we all do our bit for charity, but in reality the only people we care about is ourselves and our property and spare little thought for others and theirs. For example, how many of us are concerned about the drop in value of our property, but aren't too concerned about the effects that the recession have had on others.

Its a sobering thought, but think about it and I'm fairly sure that you'll agree.
If you are recorded on CCTV you have a legal entitlement to view it however they may distort the faces of other persons on the footage as they are still entitled to their privacy.
Now for sale £6000 Ono