Motorcycle Question for Tim

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Giles

Not specified

Motorcycle Question for Tim

Post by Giles »

Tim - what is you view of the new BMW sports bike that's shortly to be released - I think this is it...

My brother has a deposit on one and is very excited and highly unusually for MCN they are raving about BMW's new offering!

Any views?
garyw

Porsche

Re: Motorcycle Question for Tim

Post by garyw »

Giles wrote:My brother has a deposit on one
Yeah right, the same one who has the other same deposits :wink: , are we sure its not just a "Friend I know"

Maybe a surprise for Larri now you have the dream motor :?: :wink:
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

One review I read didn't get into any detail, as it spent all the space complaining about fairly basic things. The upshot was that BMW has no previous experience in the superfast bike game and should stick to what it can do well.

Tim
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

Shame I dont know bikes. Saw several of these beasts at the Nurbergring, they were there for the launch of the bike. BMW Mottorad had taken over the Dorint Hotel at the Grand Prix track for several weeks.

From what I did notice BMW have gone away from their normal engine and gone a bit more conventional.
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Although BMW has about 20 different models, they are based on just three engines. A leading 'R' indicates it's the traditional BMW horizontally-opposed air cooled twin. A leading 'K' in the model code indicates it's an inline water-cooled four cylinder (these are the fastest). The other engine is the 'F' which is an air-cooled single cylinder.

The numbers indicate the capacity, which tends to be 850 or 1150/1200 for the 'R' series, 1200 for the 'K' and 650 for the 'F' series.

The suffix determines the style of the bike (and sometimes the tune of the engine), with 'R' for naked roadster, 'S' for sports, 'RS' for sports tourer, 'RT' for tourer, 'GT' for fast tourer, 'LT' for luxury tourer, 'C' for cruiser, 'CL' for cruiser tourer and 'GS' for enduro.

So the K1200S is an inline four, 1200cc, sports style/tune. The UK launch is towards the end of September.

Tim
Giles

Not specified

Re: Motorcycle Question for Tim

Post by Giles »

garyw wrote:
Giles wrote:My brother has a deposit on one
Maybe a surprise for Larri now you have the dream motor :?: :wink:
No honestly this is 100% true :!: As an aside, Larri absolutely hates BMW bikes with a vengeance :shake: A VFR is her dream machine!
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

Zmeagol wrote: The upshot was that BMW has no previous experience in the superfast bike game and should stick to what it can do well.

Tim
Interesting, from what I recall the MCN review was very praiseworthy says that at last BMW had entered the Sports bike arena with a worthy machine!

Re 'sticking to what it does best' - same could be argued (and has on here) about BMW's crusade into new market areas off-roaders, 1 Series etc etc. Looks like they really do have domination of all markets on their agenda :|
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

Zmeagol wrote:should stick to what it can do well.
Very true but I was always told, that standing still in business is the same as going backwards.

These companies are there to make money, if they don't then shareholders demand more and the company ceases.
As I am sure you can guess with the Porsche as a company many have said the same about the KN but the company see's an opening to make money and thats what they do. They Have to

History, heritage....thats what Warwick castle is there for :wink: and they make quite a bit of money doing that :|