cold start help

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
kirstie9

Z3 roadster 2.2i

cold start help

Post by kirstie9 »

hi can anyone point me in the right direction with this.......... when i start the car in the morning it turns over fires then stalls, 2nd time i turn it over it fires and idles perfectly, now with this cold snap, it took 4 goes of starting / stalling until it settled in to idle, its a 2002 z3 sport, and i am confuzzed,com! thanks guys
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Hi Kirstie,

It really hard to pin point the fault remotely but to me it does sound like a cam shaft sensor fault. It is maybe worth getting the fault codes on the car read before shelling out any cash, you can buy code readers or any decent garage will do this for a small fee I suppose.

There is some info Here and Here, click on the links.

HTH
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

On a car that has had the other basic service items done i.e. plugs, filters etc., in my opinion further problems confined PURELY to the first cold start of the day are likely to be caused by either vacuum leaks or a failing MAF. After those, I agree a CPS could be a culprit. On your 2002 car the diagnostics should be quite good and so getting it plugged into a suitable fault code reader is a good idea.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Del wrote:in my opinion further problems confined PURELY to the first cold start of the day are likely to be caused by either vacuum leaks or a failing MAF.
Del, I had the same thought about the leaky vacuum hose and MAF but came to the conclusion that these would exhibit symptoms at all times and not just at start up? either way getting the codes read is a good idea.