New daily driver dilema

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

New daily driver dilema

Post by Jonttt »

I have a nice dilema but am looking for some inspiration to arrange test drives for a new daily driver company car:

- we have a "relaxed" car policy so anything goes :twisted: but I have to be sensible (so everyone tells me)
- my annual mileage will be increasing again so really needs to be a diesel
- we buy cars outright so financing does not need to be considered.
- my budget is £40kish
- don't mind getting a sub 10k miler ex demo
- sensible is 4 door (2 year old child) but we have another car (which is due to be changed for a sensible car again end of this year) so I can relax this a little so long as not a 2 seater and a car seat can fit in the back if needed
- must be able to fit a pram in the boot
- company car tax unfortunately has to be factored in

So far my limited list is the predictable BMW 5 series 535dMsport and more unusual Mercedes E class 350 Sport (convertable an option here :D and they do an AMG bodykit sport version).

I've ruled out 4x4's, 3 series BMW (too small), 7 series (been there and too big), S class (been there and too boring), all Audi's (I have a medical affliction to all audi's other then R8's :D )

Ruthlessley I've also ruled out 911's (can't believe I've said that) as the car tax & high mileage make it unfeasible (I've not ruled one out as the 2nd car for SWMBO depending what my daily ends up being).

So my list is all of 2 cars.......... I need some inspiration !

The sensible choice is the 5 series. The 535d Msport I've been running for a couple of years on and off has probably been the best all round car I've had but...... its the sensible choice, help......
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
aceman

M roadster S50

Re: New daily driver dilema

Post by aceman »

How about a Jaguar Diesel S !

Great looks, good emmissions, very quick and a choice of trim spec which you should be able to tailor to your budget quite easily.

If the XF isn't quite big enough then the XJ is a good size and you should be able to pick a sub 10k ex demo for around £40k I would think.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
Mike123

M roadster S50

Post by Mike123 »

Now here's a real test - you write some great items for ZRoadster, Jonttt, but I've never been quite sure about the driver/polisher question :?:

I'll be very interested to hear your final choice.

I made a similar choice a few years ago, and chose the Z3M as my daily driver, and never for a second regretted it - no pram to worry about, though! :cheers

I think the car you spend the most time in is the one you should enjoy most.

Here's my two-penn'orth -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romf-G6CZ7g

Happy Hunting!

Mike
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

A 535d doesnt have to be a sensible choice..
Map it 350bhp and 700+ in torque! :D

What about a 7 series?
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
G2JRP

M roadster S50

Post by G2JRP »

Nissan gtr?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ImageImageImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

At the moment I think I would go Audi Q5, A5,

You might find your new BMW will fall apart before you enjoy the drive.

Their current quality control leaves alot to be desired :x

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Non sensible - Brand new Vauxhall monaro Vxr8 around 35k??
Or supercharged version.. Arbarth :D
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
gedo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gedo »

I have an Audi A7 3.0 TDi S-line and would thoroughly recommend it !!

Band E 131-140 CO2 g/km for road tax (£115 per year), 48mpg in Efficient mode and plenty fast in Dynamic mode. Go for the quattro if you want more poke (and higher running costs of course)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Thanks for the feedback guys.....

Jaguars, I love the XKR (my brother ran one when they first came out) but I already have a 2 door roady :D and that 4.2 eats petrol, I'll be doing too high mileage.

I don't really like the look of the XF's and I can't drive I car I don't like the look of (shallow I know)

"I've never been quite sure about the driver/polisher question"........ lol if I told you I've not even washed the Z3 this year (apart from a rub down for Silverstone) would you believe me ? Its true, it will be getting its first and only wash before being SORNed at the end of September. Its helps its only driven in the dry but its been full of squashed flies since I got back from Silverstone :oops: A driver first but I like it to look good :D

I could not use the Z3 as a daily, too impractical and definately too noisy :twisted: The Toyota looks interesting but I need 4 doors and I've done the jap thing for years (300zx's, 200sx's, Impreza's) and I could not go back to a jap car (see below though)

Mapped 535d is a good idea :rtm:

I'd done 7 series and I just don't need the extra size over a 5 series. I've had it with massive depreciation and I'm past getting the biggest / most expensive car I can afford. The new 7 series is much better looking than the previous generation but I've already ruled one out. (same with S class)

GTR would normally be an option (even though only 2 door and jap) as its an awesome car but I've driven one a lot (almost as a daily for 6 months) and have access to it any time I want it. Again given the mileage it would cost me too much in fuel and I know I would loose my licence with the amount of motorway driving I'll be doing (I've been pulled over in it 3 times but let off twice :oops: lets just say they attract attention :head: )

I'll not try and explain why but I will never ever own another Audi, I've had 3 in the past and hated every one of them (last was a new Q7 4.2 for 3 months 6 years ago)

Monaro, I'm on it :rtm:

Road tax is not an issue for me (I pay car tax and petrol thats all)

I've test driven an X5 4.0d Msport this afternoon, very nice, plenty of oomph (newer twin scroll turbos) and sounds meaty when you floor it but was wallowy and I felt a little car sick which is not good (I was pushing it though :twisted:) . Very practical choice though and they have some great offers on pre registered new ones (fully loaded for £44k incl 5 years servicing).

I then test drove an E class 350d sport, no and M class, no.

So I've ruled a couple out today and added an X5 as a possible.

Off to research Monaro's :rtm:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Rory4711

M roadster S50

Post by Rory4711 »

I've a roadster for fun ( ex-John Wayne ) and as a daily driver a Chrysler 300C 3.0 diesel touring. Magnifcently comfortable, not even a squeak or rattle after nearly 3 years and, despite it's apparent size, very nimble on the road as well as reasonably economical
Dickyt

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dickyt »

For 40k and some fun I'd be looking at a couple of years old Maserati Quattroporte......4 doors, 400bhp of lovely sounding V8.....what's not to like? Don't think you would like the benefit in kind tax coding though!
I had a similar dilemma, but a nice one to have! My company car daily drive is an Audi A5 sport back 3.0 tdi Quattro, clearly not an option for you, but I am more than happy with it after two BMW 520d touring.
It sounds like you have almost made your mind up with the 535d, and you wouldn't be far wrong with that choice.....predictable yes, but there is a reason for that - it's a he'll of a car especially when you factor in the low company car tax against power, fun etc. Anything else has got allot to live up to?
Other wild cards - nearly new M5 / 335d coupe / 1m coupe ?
Have fun deciding!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Thought I would update this thread........

Well its taken longer than it should (I must be getting old when work takes priority over buying a new car lol) but I'm picking up a Mercedes E350 CDI Sport saloon next week. In trying to keep some sort of roady theme its got a panoramic roof :D I could not get the pram in the cabriolet version, I did not even try you won't believe how small the boot is in them, smaller than the Z3!.

This was the best combination of value for money, fuel economy, sportiness, sensible 4 seater/4 door, tax liability and fun to drive I could come up with. I decided I could not justify 1) the stupid tax liability on 4 wheel drives eg X5's, Range Rovers, etc...., 2) Porsches (you won't believe how close I came to picking up a 911 turbo but going back to 40k miles pa just made it a stupid option), 3) Jaguar XKR (you won't believe how stupidly cheap these are at auction but again the MPG and tax liability did not add up for me) so these where knocked off the first shortlist. This left BMW 5 series saloon/GT, Jaguar XF S diesels, and the E-Class. The jaguar was a nice car but not the same build quality as the BMW and Merc and the highest tax of the 3 (but cheapest to buy, another example of our stupid tax system). In the end with the new E-class due out early next yearish (facelift front end) I got a much better deal from Mercedes than I could from BMW and the E class with the right spec added just felt the better car (full command sat nav/multimedia system including internet & TV, panoramic roof, adaptive headlights, AMG bodykit, etc.....)

So role on Tuesday and hopefully some nice weather.