BMW 1 Series - Problem - Help

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Gazza

M roadster S54

BMW 1 Series - Problem - Help

Post by Gazza »

We have a 2009 1 Series in the household, it has started to suffer an erratic instrument cluster glitch where all the warning lights come on and the rev counter and speedo drop to zero, it even affects the power of the engine.

An RAC mechanic hooked up the diagnostic but that didn't show any codes. checked the battery and connections, all ok.

I've tried seaching other forums but nothing specific to the 1 Series, any pointers would be helpful.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: BMW 1 Series - Problem - Help

Post by TitanTim »

Gazza wrote:We have a 2009 1 Series in the household, it has started to suffer an erratic instrument cluster glitch where all the warning lights come on and the rev counter and speedo drop to zero, it even affects the power of the engine.

An RAC mechanic hooked up the diagnostic but that didn't show any codes. checked the battery and connections, all ok.

I've tried seaching other forums but nothing specific to the 1 Series, any pointers would be helpful.
Gary, hows the condition of the battery? its not unknown for the instrument cluster to go a little haywire if the battery is on its way out, although wouldn't expect that on a 2009, or the voltage may be very low. another cause maybe water in the electrics or a relay which I had on my old MINI Cooper S, again electrics went haywire.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

The RAC guy checked the battery, all ok.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

I had my battery checked by the AA man who said yep its ok and a week later it died
I asked him why, he just shrugged his shoulders,
I said they used to use the old fashion way before,with two prones on the terminals,
it would bubble if knackered, and that would show whether the cells had had it
With the new sealed batteries they look at the charging capcity not the of cells condition
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom