MNDA - half marathon in Birmingham

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

MNDA - half marathon in Birmingham

Post by geminimustang »

Guys,i know a lot of you were close to a forum member who sadly passed away with Motor Neurone Disease.I too,now have a friend who has months to live.He sent an email to all his friends and i've copied here,shown below, in case anybody would like to sponsor my friends Son who is running a half marathon to raise funds.My apologies to the Mods if i've put it in the wrong place,i'm sure they'll move if necessary.Thank you for reading.

Hallo All,
Hope you are all well and that you are looking forward to the summer (when it arrives)!

As many of you may know I finished my employment last November on the grounds of ill health. I have a condition known as Motor Neurone Disease (MND).
This affects around one in 50,000 of the population., it leaves people unable to walk,talk or feed themselves,kills 5 people ever day in the UK,has an average life expectancy of around 14 months after diagnosis and is fatal with no known cure. The perverse nature of the disease is that bad lifestyle choices do not increase your chances of being affected, instead it tends to attack people who are perfectly fit and healthy.Since my diagnosis I, and my family, have received a tremendous amount of practical and emotional support from the Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNDA). The main area of expenditure for the MNDA is on research into the MND condition. The bulk, some 80% of funds raised, is plowed back into research to find a cure. Although a cure is not around the corner, progress is being made and like cancer, where progress was not made overnight, the Association and its research is moving in the right direction. Hopefully, like the fight against cancer, we can move to a situation in years to come where chances of survival greatly outweigh the chances of death.
My son, Matthew,will be doing the Birmingham Half Marathon on the 20th October of this year. He will be running it to raise funds for the MNDA and we are looking for as many sponsors as we can get to raise much needed funds.. He ran the half marathon two years again in slightly less than 2 hours and plans to beat this time.
My son has registered his details on the JustGiving website https://www.justgiving.com/matthewgardebirminghamrun.
The JustGiving website is an excellent way of donating as they will claim the Gift Aid (currently 25%) back from the government on all donations. For example, every £10 raised becomes £12.50. Because there is a small fee to handle this and also a very small card transaction fee (not paid by the donor) the final figure is £11.74. So, £100 raised becomes £117.40 and £1000 raised becomes £1174. The website explains this in more detail.
If you click on the above weblink you can see the page that has been set up by my son. The website allows for donor names to be added (or it can be anonymous if desired) as well as a running total of donations raised to date.
This is of course not the only way to donate. Donations can be sent to the MNDA direct and contact details can be found at their website http://www.mndassociation.org/Home
Can I in advance say thank you for any donations received, however big, or small. I know for certain that whatever is raised will be gratefully accepted, and needed, by the MNDA.
Thanks again, best wishes to you all, and have a great summer,
Kind regards Martin.