Help! cant get fuel nozzle in

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Eastsix

Not specified

Help! cant get fuel nozzle in

Post by Eastsix »

My wife is on way to Stansted to pick up family in our recently bought E46 - we've both put petrol in once, but she has called saying she cant get the nozzle into the pipe properly at the station, apparently when she started pumping it just started gushing out. She swears blind she'd using the petrol not the diesel pump, and she called a guy over for help - he said it seemed something was blocking it.

Hopefully she'll have enough to get home, but any ideas?

Has someone maybe vandalised it? The cap isn't lockable, so that's my fear - or is this something anyone has experienced before? Ive never had that with my Z3, or any other car ive ever owned.

Grateful for any advice.

Bill
2.8 sadly departed, currently between zeds.....
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Re: Help! cant get fuel nozzle in

Post by Badman gee »

Hope she removed the cap first!

The 'BEAST' 666
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

You may have to angle the nozzle, I have to do that with the 'Stangs or I get fuel all over my feet
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I think pretty much all modern BMWs have a locking flap and rather than a key operated cap. As long as the locking mechanism is working, I'd doubt anyone has touched it.

A diesel nozzle will simply not fit into the opening of a modern petrol car, not that I've tried it, but I think you'd notice. I wonder if the petrol cap came off in one piece, or if it has separated and left part inside the filler neck? The only other possibility I can think of is that the cap locks electrically, and she was trying to fill the car up with the door locked - possibly locking them after removing the cap? I think you need to RTM on that one. :rtm:

@Gazza - I think your stangs will be the same as my frog and have a wide filler neck, but which somehow doesn't allow the petrol to flow in very quickly. If you try to fill it too quickly it seems to develop a froth and comes back up the neck. You just have to put the petrol in slowly - doesn't take long with a 4 gallon tank! With mine I can actually see the petrol level when it starts to up the neck, but I do also carry an accurate fuel gauge, otherwise known as a clean piece of dowel. :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

She's saying the nozzle wouldnt go past the metal flap, but when she got back i poked it and it opened fine. No idea what she was doing.
2 zed

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by 2 zed »

I had this problem with my Z3, what happens is according to the till lady some people drop the nozzle to the ground and it goes out of shape and then it won't fit BMW's, Audi's and mercs, she came out and checked the other pump nozzles and found an undamaged one, problem solved. It scared me first of I also thought it was my car.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I always feel the onslaught of a slight panic attack if Mrs Del phones me and says something like “my car’s making a funny noise when I turn the key” – could be anything from a flat battery to a seized engine. :D
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Eastsix wrote:She's saying the nozzle wouldnt go past the metal flap, but when she got back i poked it and it opened fine. No idea what she was doing.

I would strongly suspect a diesel nozzle ..... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

gookah wrote:
Eastsix wrote:She's saying the nozzle wouldnt go past the metal flap, but when she got back i poked it and it opened fine. No idea what she was doing.

I would strongly suspect a diesel nozzle ..... :D
That's what I kept asking her, but she said she asked a guy to help her and he told her she wasn't doing anything wrong.
Of course she didn't think at the time of maybe trying a different pump, but she took it to fill it up today and of course there was no problem. Its not something ive come across before, but googling it, it seems there are quite a few reports of damaged nozzles not fitting.
Phew! No expensive problem to solve.
In other news, I just watched my Zed being driven away by the new owner. I got to use it one last time with the roof down this morning, but I am officially no longer a zedder :cry:
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

2 zed wrote:I had this problem with my Z3, what happens is according to the till lady some people drop the nozzle to the ground and it goes out of shape and then it won't fit BMW's, Audi's and mercs, she came out and checked the other pump nozzles and found an undamaged one, problem solved. It scared me first of I also thought it was my car.
^^^This^^^

I had the same. I could see the damage to the end of the nozzle and told the teller who didn't know what I was on about until I showed him.
Pingu
Desperado

Not specified

Post by Desperado »

This is quite a common problem with lots of cars. I had a Jeep a few years ago and if I went to the Tesco garage I could not get 3 of the 6 pumps to work, it was fine at other garages. I had the same with my XC90 at other places. I don't know what it is, I suspect the end of the pump is somehow warn or broken - I've not spent very long looking at it though as people would start staring.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....I find this thread seriously sexist...why always blame the nozzle.... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Because thats usually the culprit :roflmao: :wave
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i